Home

NBA 2K: Should Zone Defense Be Removed?

This is a discussion on NBA 2K: Should Zone Defense Be Removed? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #17
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Why should they remove a feature unless they have to. It's clear people still use it, so I say keep it.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0
Disclaimer - I didn't buy 2k14 this year. I was so fed up with 2k13 I decided to take a year off.

In 2k13 the 1-3-1 was killing me online. I found some great zone breaking plays that worked consistently. I had a go-to play for attacking each zone type that practically guaranteed an open shot or layup. I think the problem with zone defense is that most (not all) gamers don't take the time to find a good strategy for attacking a zone. It might be helpful if 2k put in some zone attacking tutorials or easy to identify zone attacking plays for the casual gamer.

I also agree with what a lot of you regarding fatigue. That has been an issue for a few years now. No excuse for not fixing it.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #19
Rookie

iki319's Arena

Dont know if im the only one who noticed but why are the all star jerseys sleeveless in the main photo?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 7
As long as its legal in the REAL NBA, No it doesnt make sense to remove it. Because a bunch of causals fans cant beat a zone doesnt mean, hey lets remove it for them. The zone can be beat. Gamers are lazy as hell
Old 04-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealHST
As long as its legal in the REAL NBA, No it doesnt make sense to remove it. Because a bunch of causals fans cant beat a zone doesnt mean, hey lets remove it for them. The zone can be beat. Gamers are lazy as hell
YES!! The funny part is when you can consistently beat the other player's zone a lot of them are too lazy to switch out of the zone. Easy corner threes all game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Re: NBA 2K: Should Zone Defense Be Removed?

Quote:
I'd say it's the complete opposite actually.

Casual gamers go online to find cheesy strategies to win: pick zone d, play offball. Turbo to the rim with posterizer, shoot 40 3's a game, etc.

Zones are still way too op. Zone is all about recovery speed and picking up the man in your zone, both of which are faster in this game then swinging the ball to an open man...which is how to break a zone.

If you can't break a zone by playing real basketball half the time, you're just cheesing back to beat the cheese. That's just as bad.

If they don't address how fast defenders are with their recovery's, than they need to take zone out of online at least.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
I think the question a lot of gamers may have is whether the 2K zone is regularly and consistently beatable by employing proper and amply available NBA strategies. Or, is beating a zone in NBA 2K more about "gaming the game", i.e. discovering a video game way of exploiting something people are trying to use and exploit themselves?

For instance, and I ask this sincerely because I do not own NBA 2K14, does this year's 2K offer various effective offensive sets designed specifically to counter any zone that may be employed? Moreover, does a zone defense in 2K have the same shortfalls we'd tend to see if it were used in a similar manner in real life (defenders slow to recover, fatigued if just running about with their heads cut off, offensive intelligence putting themselves in correct positions, passes with enough snap, and a realistic success-to-failure ratio of steal attempts)?

Admittedly, some of the few times I've hopped online in previous 2K's, there's been instances where I've been able to handily defeat gamers abusing zone defenses, but none of it - not their strategies and not my solutions - felt like real, strategic basketball. And to be clear, that is not a blanket statement on all gamers who use zone defenses. Rather, again, I think some folks just believe the zones, in their current state, are open to being used and abused, while the realistic tools to dismantle and defeat an opponent's scrambling double teams, spamming of the steal button, and speed recovering, are limited.

Last edited by VDusen04; 04-30-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 15

Wouldn't bother me at all if 2K removed zone defense....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »