Home

NBA 2K24 Likeness Updates Have Come Up Short This Season

This is a discussion on NBA 2K24 Likeness Updates Have Come Up Short This Season within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-15-2024, 08:18 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NBA 2K24 Likeness Updates Have Come Up Short This Season

I don't have any issue saying NBA 2K24 is the most graphically impressive sports game around,...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2024, 08:20 PM   #2
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NBA 2K24 Likeness Updates Have Come Up Short This Season

I don't want this discourse to "infect" too many threads at once but did want to at least point out some of the high level issues facing the lack of updates this cycle.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:58 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

And when will we ever see Anthony Edwards get a face scan?!?!
Old 02-16-2024, 01:33 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstump42
And when will we ever see Anthony Edwards get a face scan?!?!
I think that one's on Ant unfortunately
Old 02-16-2024, 03:59 AM   #5
MVP

stizz's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdez

How? Just because he doesn’t want a scan doesn’t mean they can’t create a decent likeness like the rest of the classic players.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2024, 05:32 AM   #6
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I don't want this discourse to "infect" too many threads at once but did want to at least point out some of the high level issues facing the lack of updates this cycle.

Thanks for putting this Article out Chase, hopefully, someone from 2k actually sees it. The Kyrie thing just annoys me, because his current look is a preset which should make the change a simple roster update.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:24 AM   #7
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdez
Quote:
Originally Posted by stizz
How? Just because he doesn’t want a scan doesn’t mean they can’t create a decent likeness like the rest of the classic players.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I think you're both probably right. To me the only thing that makes sense is that, for active players, 2K is simply not willing to make or significantly rework any cyberface by any means other than their scanning technology. When they bother to create or update retro cyberfaces, they obviously have little choice but to make them manually, since the players have aged, but it seems that they're willing to play hardball with any active player, probably because most people simply assume that a crappy cyberface like Ant's can only be remedied by the player coming in and getting scanned, thus making it the player's responsibility, not 2K's. This of course isn't true, but it's a convenient misconception for 2K, and they probably don't want to set a precedent for players skipping their scans because "whatever, 2K will make me look good anyway because of how big of a deal I am; look what they did for Ant."

I'm just speculating, of course, but it would be giving 2K the benefit of the doubt, since the alternative is that they simply don't care.

If indeed I'm right, I think 2K is being too stubborn. If the #1 pick is being stubborn to you and refusing to come in and get scanned, then swallow your pride and devote the resources to working around it. Also, if LeBron frickin' James doesn't wanna give you the time of day and come in for a fresh scan, don't play hardball and continue using the 2K19 (right?) scan. It's LeBron James; do better. No one is faulting 2K if Moses Brown or whoever is a CAP because he doesn't wanna come in and get scanned, but 2K owes it to the fans to get the big names looking presentable. It's embarrassing that the biggest stars in the league are for the most part within mid-to-low-quality region of the 2K cyberface quality spectrum.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:53 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think you hit on one of the points in the article about multiple hairstyles:
Kuminga has had cornrows for most of the season but is now rocking shorter hair. Current player hairstyles are ALWAYS changing, so putting the work in to match one can be obsolete once a player changes again.

I've been disappointed with the patched likeness updates as much as anyone, but I will say we have more total scans in this game than ever before, and we're also getting more scanned rookies in the game within weeks of launch than we've ever had.

I know Anthony Edwards and others should be updated, but there is SO MUCH in this game already. I think by getting many of these in the game early, they shift focus throughout the year and these take a backseat.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »