Home

The "Game Speed, Speed/Accel Attributes, and Movement" Sliders Explained

This is a discussion on The "Game Speed, Speed/Accel Attributes, and Movement" Sliders Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #17
Rookie

MR.BYGMZ's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The "Game Speed, Speed/Accel Attributes, and Movement" Sliders Explained

1st. thanks for the slider info. it really helped ALOT.
2nd. i been trying to tweak the sliders to see if i can have the a.i. trigger more ankle breakers but ive had no luck. i see the cpu do the crossovers but when another a.i. defender is guarding the ball handler the ankle breaking animation never triggers. do u have an idea how or which sliders controls that?
Old 08-04-2018, 11:46 PM   #18
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.BYGMZ
1st. thanks for the slider info. it really helped ALOT.

2nd. i been trying to tweak the sliders to see if i can have the a.i. trigger more ankle breakers but ive had no luck. i see the cpu do the crossovers but when another a.i. defender is guarding the ball handler the ankle breaking animation never triggers. do u have an idea how or which sliders controls that?

That should be USER On Ball Defense. Lowering OBD triggers more ankle-breakers
Old 08-07-2018, 12:48 AM   #19
Rookie

MR.BYGMZ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
That should be USER On Ball Defense. Lowering OBD triggers more ankle-breakers
i tried that but i still dont see any. ( keep in mind im talking about cpu vs cpu ankle breakers.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #20
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.BYGMZ
i tried that but i still dont see any. ( keep in mind im talking about cpu vs cpu ankle breakers.

That may be an issue with CPU vs CPU gameplay. Ankle breakers are animations triggered by dribble moves, and not triggered by actual aggressive player movement and directional correction (as they should be).

I wish ankle break animations were caused by movement and direction changes, but that would admittedly be difficult to code without making it either too rare or too common.

You can try lowering lateral quickness as well, as logic would state that the game should factor in on-ball defense AND the defender’s ability to quickly change direction, but I know I’ve seen plenty of ankle-break animations with Lateral Quickness set to 100 for the CPU so I’m not sure how much effect it has.

Last edited by EccentricMeat; 08-08-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #21
Rookie

Hey man.

I got a couple slider questions. Would really appreciate a response

Are more difficult shots just worthless in the game? or have I messed something up with the sliders? I probably make 15% on step back jumpers and really long 2s with decent shooters. So its ALWAYS just better to ram the basket and hope for a foul. Im just guessing here but maybe cus I put the offensive consistancy really low? that makes really difficult shoots almost require green releases?

Id also love any ideas to help the AI defend against penetration but also how to make them worse at guarding isos/man to man in general. hmmm should I maybe have on ball defense really low and lateral quickness super high? I get WAAAAAAY too many easy baskets right now, so I turn different sliders up, making the non-easy baskets too difficult... so I do more of the stuff that "works"... its like a viscious cycle... I feel like ive had decent sliders in the past, but it gets too easy, I try to turn the difficulty up, and "erode" the sliders...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #22
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacharNabai
Hey man.

I got a couple slider questions. Would really appreciate a response

Are more difficult shots just worthless in the game? or have I messed something up with the sliders? I probably make 15% on step back jumpers and really long 2s with decent shooters. So its ALWAYS just better to ram the basket and hope for a foul. Im just guessing here but maybe cus I put the offensive consistancy really low? that makes really difficult shoots almost require green releases?

Id also love any ideas to help the AI defend against penetration but also how to make them worse at guarding isos/man to man in general. hmmm should I maybe have on ball defense really low and lateral quickness super high? I get WAAAAAAY too many easy baskets right now, so I turn different sliders up, making the non-easy baskets too difficult... so I do more of the stuff that "works"... its like a viscious cycle... I feel like ive had decent sliders in the past, but it gets too easy, I try to turn the difficulty up, and "erode" the sliders...

For difficult shots, you can either increase the Shot Success sliders or decrease the Jump Shot Defense Strength (Gather) slider. That slider controls how much a nearby defender affects shooting percentage. The only caveat is that this slider also has an affect on how the defense prioritizes defending shooters vs. collapsing in to defend the basket on a drive, so a lower setting may lead to loose perimeter defense.

As far as defending penetration while making perimeter defenders more lax, you’d want to lower on ball defense to somewhere around 50 (going lower leads to too many ankle-break animations as well as just making it too easy to get past the defender). Lateral Quickness will help their ability to recover left-to-right so I’d leave that no lower than 50, but you can see how you like it at 100 as well.

Finally, you’ll want to set Drive Contact Shot Frequency to 40 or lower. At 40, defenders are more capable of stopping the constant blow-by animations and will actually stick with the ballhandler as they drive to the basket, or they may even brick-wall the ballhandler depending on the ratings of the defender and the offensive player. Setting Drive Contact lower than 40 will make blow-by animations less and less frequent as more and more defenders are able to stick with, or brick-wall, the attacking player. You will also see more blocking/charging fouls as there will be more and more contact animations triggered on dribble-drives.

Last edited by EccentricMeat; 08-10-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #23
Rookie

Hey man.

Thanks for the response, but im a little confused about one thing; doesnt a lower rating in "Drive Contact Shot Frequency" make it harder for defenders to get contact on drives? isnt the defense category different buffs for defenders? like doesnt a higher rating in the two lay-up categories make defenders better at defending lay-ups? I know 2k is stupid sometimes but is a lower rating somehow better!?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #24
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacharNabai
Hey man.

Thanks for the response, but im a little confused about one thing; doesnt a lower rating in "Drive Contact Shot Frequency" make it harder for defenders to get contact on drives? isnt the defense category different buffs for defenders? like doesnt a higher rating in the two lay-up categories make defenders better at defending lay-ups? I know 2k is stupid sometimes but is a lower rating somehow better!?

Yes.

You’re correct that higher settings for the Layup/Jump Shot Defense Strength sliders makes the defense stronger, but for some reason the Drive Contact Shot Frequency is a little different.

If you have it set high, you can essentially just walk into the defender and it will trigger a blow-by animation and allow you an easy lane to the basket. If you have it set low, the game will be more likely to trigger animations like the old brick-wall/suction cup defense animations from years past. You’ll see more contact, more push-back and closed off lanes by the defender, more ride-the-hip animations where the defender sticks with you as you drive the lane, “brick-wall” animations that stop you in your tracks or suction-cup defense that diverts you out of the line and pushes you to the baseline, etc.

Yes, you’ll still get blow-by animations, especially with elite dribblers or when up against a slow/weak/poor defender, but elite defenders will actually stand out and you’ll no longer be able to just walk your way to the hoop every trip down the floor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »