Home

NBA 2K23 Era mode simulation sliders

This is a discussion on NBA 2K23 Era mode simulation sliders within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-19-2022, 02:24 PM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
NBA 2K23 Era mode simulation sliders

Have simulated a lot of seasons tweaking things to get for now the 83-84 season stats to be very comparable to real life 83-84 season.

**JORDAN ERA SIM SETTINGS ON POST #13. SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THOSE!**

Just some league wide team averages from that season:

PPG- 110.1
FGA- 88.4
FG%- 49.2
3PA- 2.4
3P%- .250
FTA- 29.7
FT%- .760
STL- 8.5
BLK- 5.3
TOV- 17.9
FPG- 25.8

Injuries were not tested yet. I wanted to sim fast so turned them off. I will say injury slider at 0 for simulated games seems to be best. Still so so many regardless.

I HAD to make global tendency edits for a few things. These are a MUST do beforehand if you want these to work.

3pt shot tendency you must add +25 for all players. Every type of 3pt shot +5 tendency. EXCEPT contested, stepback, pull up, and drive pull up 3pt shot. Do not touch those tendencies.

Foul and hard foul tendency- you must subtract -20 for all players.

Now for my MyNBA Simulation setup for 1983-1984.

Quarter Length- 12min
Simulated Quarter Length- 12min

Team Style Factors

Team Pace- 20...this is actually backwards. The lower it is the more ppg and fga occurs. Setting at 100 causes top team fga to be in the 70s.

Team Fastbreak- 70

Possession Results

Possessions Per Game- 50
Shots- 100
Assists-0.. still an extreme amount. Not sure what attributes could cause this or what else it could be.

Steals- 75
Blocks- 50
Turnovers- 100..still pretty low compared to the 83-84 real life season, but not bad.
Fouls- 20...even with lowering foul tendencies this still needed dropped a ton in order to get realistic FTA and FPG.
Injuries- 0

Shot Types

Dunk- 50
Layup- 50
Shot Close- 50
Shot Medium- 50

Shot Three- 80...without raising 3pt shot tendencies AND this there were teams not attempting a single three all season and no team averaged even one 3pa per game. Now they line up with real averages for this Era.

Shot Percentages

Dunk Percentage- 54
Layup Percentage- 54
Close Range Percentage- 54
Medium Range Percentage- 54
Three Point Percentage- 40...taking realistic amount of 3pa meant too high percentage made in simmed games so this needed lowered.

Free Throw Percentage- 55

Stat Distribution

All 50 except assists and defensive rebounds. Since Assists and defensive rebounds are always sky high no matter what I want to at least TRY not to have a guy averaging 15 Assists per game or Close to 20 rebounds.

Have lowered each to 0 for now. This needs more testing. End of the day it's whatever on this. Team stats are more important than the individual averages.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 01-11-2023 at 07:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K23 Era mode simulation sliders

Love it!
I’m finishing up a roster set, but when I’m done I’ll give these a run. I do trust you but nonetheless I’m gonna see if I can mess with 3PT and fouls without having to edit ratings. Cheers
Old 09-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
Rookie

Thanks for these sliders ! Do you also manage yo get realistic fg% for players ? I noticed that a lot of the best players average almost 60%, when in reality they were around 52-54%
Old 09-19-2022, 03:42 PM   #4
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviances
Thanks for these sliders ! Do you also manage yo get realistic fg% for players ? I noticed that a lot of the best players average almost 60%, when in reality they were around 52-54%
I wasn't really looking at player stats, solely team stats end of year averages. I figure if those can get close to what real life is, or was then player stats will be pretty solid all around.

I did notice dropping the assists for stat distribution helped a lot. Magic averages 12 or so assists per game now instead of near 15apg. Same with rpg. League leader was 15rpg with defensive rebound stat distribution at 0.

I'm about to play some games now and see what I can get from the tendency edits for games played. But if you happen to look at it, feel free to share your findings for individual fg%

Old 09-20-2022, 05:23 PM   #5
Rookie

Long post coming...

I may have found ?something? with the 3PT issue...

First, I noticed that in sims, 83-84 teams were averaging roughly 10x less 3PA/G

Then, I noticed that in the modern day rosters a player's 3PT Shot Tendency is exact to the amount of 3PA per 36 minutes, with the decimal just moved over one place. So Lebron is at a 77 and he happened to have shot 7.7 3's per 36. So I came up with the following formula to adjust individual 3PT shot tendencies for each player in the 83-84 roster...

Using BBREF Real Life 83-84 stats...
3PA/(Total Minutes/36)
Then you move the decimal over TWO places (One to match modern day and another one to make up for players shooting 10X less).

An example...
Larry Bird played 3028 minutes in 83-84 and attempted 73 3's. So his formula is...
3028/36=84.1111
73/84.1111 = .867
Move decimal over two spots to 86.7
So I change Bird's 3PT Shot Tendency to an 86.

There is a 3PA per 36 stat on basketball reference, but it is not exact enough. That's why I did the total minutes and 3PA rather than using that stat.

In a sim with 6 teams using this formula, the game spit out more reasonable 3PA rates...between 1.5 and 2.5 per game for those teams, with likely more accurate individual player stats than raising the entire league's 3PT shot tendencies by an arbitrary number. I don't know how this would affect future seasons, but just putting it out there...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2022, 08:37 PM   #6
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_G
Long post coming...

I may have found ?something? with the 3PT issue...

First, I noticed that in sims, 83-84 teams were averaging roughly 10x less 3PA/G

Then, I noticed that in the modern day rosters a player's 3PT Shot Tendency is exact to the amount of 3PA per 36 minutes, with the decimal just moved over one place. So Lebron is at a 77 and he happened to have shot 7.7 3's per 36. So I came up with the following formula to adjust individual 3PT shot tendencies for each player in the 83-84 roster...

Using BBREF Real Life 83-84 stats...

3PA/(Total Minutes/36)

Then you move the decimal over TWO places (One to match modern day and another one to make up for players shooting 10X less).

An example...

Larry Bird played 3028 minutes in 83-84 and attempted 73 3's. So his formula is...

3028/36=84.1111

73/84.1111 = .867

Move decimal over two spots to 86.7

So I change Bird's 3PT Shot Tendency to an 86.

There is a 3PA per 36 stat on basketball reference, but it is not exact enough. That's why I did the total minutes and 3PA rather than using that stat.

In a sim with 6 teams using this formula, the game spit out more reasonable 3PA rates...between 1.5 and 2.5 per game for those teams, with likely more accurate individual player stats than raising the entire league's 3PT shot tendencies by an arbitrary number. I don't know how this would affect future seasons, but just putting it out there...
That's awesome work man! Definitely makes sense. Yeah by default Bird 3pt shot tendency was 10 for the 83 roster. Kinda crazy! Mid 80s sounds more reasonable for him.

I really don't want to do a crazy overhaul of rosters but for 3pt shooting in the 80s it may be best to at least do it for that.

So what about Darrell Griffith on Utah? 252 3pa, only 2650 minutes played. Doing your matg he'd have to be a 99 3pt shot tendency correct? Idk if he's on the game or not, just sorted by most 3PA on basketball reference.

Last edited by DarthRambo; 09-20-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:28 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
That's awesome work man! Definitely makes sense. Yeah by default Bird 3pt shot tendency was 10 for the 83 roster. Kinda crazy! Mid 80s sounds more reasonable for him.

I really don't want to do a crazy overhaul of rosters but for 3pt shooting in the 80s it may be best to at least do it for that.

So what about Darrell Griffith on Utah? 252 3pa, only 2650 minutes played. Doing your matg he'd have to be a 99 3pt shot tendency correct? Idk if he's on the game or not, just sorted by most 3PA on basketball reference.

Yeah, there's only a few guys that came out as averaging more than 1 attempt per 36. For those players I gave them 100 only if they played significant minutes. 99 for reserves basically to offset outliers from a small sample size. I'm sure your sliders make things even better (going to test with those after I go through my whole roster), but here's a small sample of using the base sliders along with my adjusted rosters (through 81 games).

Player/Real Life 3PA/Sim 3PA
Bird/73/84 (In 2 More Games)
Henderson/57/49 (In 3 More Games)
Johnson/32/25 (In 1 More Game)
Ainge/22/14
Carr/15/15 (In 21 More Games)
Wedman/13/21 (In 13 More Games)
Maxwell/6/4 (In 1 More Game)
Buckner/6/4 (In 2 Less Games)
McHale/3/0 (In 1 Less Game)
Clark/2/0 (In 12 Less Games)
Parish/0/0
Kite/0/0
Old 09-21-2022, 01:00 AM   #8
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_G
Yeah, there's only a few guys that came out as averaging more than 1 attempt per 36. For those players I gave them 100 only if they played significant minutes. 99 for reserves basically to offset outliers from a small sample size. I'm sure your sliders make things even better (going to test with those after I go through my whole roster), but here's a small sample of using the base sliders along with my adjusted rosters (through 81 games).

Player/Real Life 3PA/Sim 3PA

Bird/73/84 (In 2 More Games)

Henderson/57/49 (In 3 More Games)

Johnson/32/25 (In 1 More Game)

Ainge/22/14

Carr/15/15 (In 21 More Games)

Wedman/13/21 (In 13 More Games)

Maxwell/6/4 (In 1 More Game)

Buckner/6/4 (In 2 Less Games)

McHale/3/0 (In 1 Less Game)

Clark/2/0 (In 12 Less Games)

Parish/0/0

Kite/0/0
That's really solid. Editing that is such a pain though and tedious. I took the easy and lazy way out and just did a global edit for everyone lol.

Like I said above though. I wasn't looking at individual stats and stuff. I was only looking at team stats and averages end of season. Then comparing to real life.

But since the 3pt shot was such an anamoly back then it's probably best to make sure those who took them real life will in the game in order to get better 3pt%.

Talking a bit of work here but I am up for it. But something I wouldn't want to dig into until MJ Wizards completes his 83 roster he is working on now.

A long ways to go before I start a proper 80s era franchise. Same for 90s era franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »