Home

I'm gonna say it & it might ruffle some feathers...

This is a discussion on I'm gonna say it & it might ruffle some feathers... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-05-2023, 07:37 AM   #81
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: I'm gonna say it & it might ruffle some feathers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajra21
Yup.

I've seen pitchers give up four runs in the first and then shut the opposition down for another five.
I do not think this is a tendency thing.

Remember a guy by the name of Tom Glavine? He used to have a nightmare first inning about 1 out of every 6 starts. If you play the game enough, you'll notice in the first inning sometimes your pitcher will start the game out of whack. I use the meter so you may not notice if you play on something different. My guy's meter will be laggy, this is their way of throwing your pitcher off, then the rest of the way the meter will be fine. The computer pitchers seem to do the same. It's not a tendency adjustment as much as it is finding the proper mechanics to execute a guy's pitches. If you read some of my initial posts in this thread you'll read exactly what you posted as some of my pre-meditated "script" theories. Rarely will you have the big first inning, and then knock the guy around in the 2nd & 3rd inning - same for the computer vs. human's pitching.

Last edited by GAMEBREAKER85; 06-05-2023 at 07:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2023, 07:51 AM   #82
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel

it is like the overall ratings have to match the stats by season ends./ so if a player who is a 50 overall ratings is hitting 400 in the first 20 games you know the game has to cool him off somehow and vice versa for a 90 rated player.

yeah I know nobody will believe this but it just feels that way sometimes.
This is why almost every player human controlled hits near his career average / projections. How many of you guys hit .360 with a guy who is a lifetime .240 hitter? The game is going to even out everything to regress to the mean. I'm taking a beating for using the word "scripted" - but you can't argue the game is going to make sure guys hit on par instead of fluctuate way higher or below their ratings/career averages.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:13 AM   #83
Banned

The only way I feel this game has a 'comeback code' feel to it is with dynamic difficulty. Sometimes I just get in way too long of a hitting slump on all-star, so I switch it back to dynamic to help me get out of it but don't put the dynamic slider any higher than 3. It helps for sure.

But according to what other people say on here, Veteran is the highest difficulty to play on without the AI picking up user tendencies.

Last edited by Skippy85410; 06-05-2023 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:50 AM   #84
MVP

forme95's Arena

Lets stop the phrase "comeback code". As soon as that started it took away from the whole conversation. As soon as someone writes that, everything else gets thrown out.
No code. However the game has programming scripts. It has to or every 90 gold player would always play to 90 gold and 50 bronze (or whatever it is) would never play better then 50.
The game cant replicate a player getting up on the wrong side of the bed, fighting with his baby momma (LOL), his uniform sticking to him because its muggy, midges (yep I said it), and vice versa in positive ways. You get the point. These cant be possible without some kind of script. The game doesnt have any emotion. It has to program in slumps, streaks and tendencies. Which isnt a bad thing, it just is how its put together at times and it works both ways against the player and for the gamer. I personally dont think its lopsided to favor one side or the other. As they say..... "thats baseball"
GAMES are not scripted. Games are how you play it.

Disclaimer: Views are strictly for conversation. SDS is the perfect game and no comments made are intended to take away from that.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 06-05-2023, 09:02 AM   #85
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
Lets stop the phrase "comeback code". As soon as that started it took away from the whole conversation. As soon as someone writes that, everything else gets thrown out.
No code. However the game has programming scripts. It has to or every 90 gold player would always play to 90 gold and 50 bronze (or whatever it is) would never play better then 50.
The game cant replicate a player getting up on the wrong side of the bed, fighting with his baby momma (LOL), his uniform sticking to him because its muggy, midges (yep I said it), and vice versa in positive ways. You get the point. These cant be possible without some kind of script. The game doesnt have any emotion. It has to program in slumps, streaks and tendencies. Which isnt a bad thing, it just is how its put together at times and it works both ways against the player and for the gamer. I personally dont think its lopsided to favor one side or the other. As they say..... "thats baseball"
GAMES are not scripted. Games are how you play it.

Disclaimer: Views are strictly for conversation. SDS is the perfect game and no comments made are intended to take away from that.
Ratings are weighted randomness - that's how you get variance in results that reflects the ups and downs of how players play from game to game in real life. It's very, VERY difficult for me to call that "scripting". The game is coded to follow basic physics rules and such as it applies to the game of baseball, and the game calls on certain animations to be played for each situation, but ultimately the results (success or failure) of plays on the field are decided by those weighted ratings along with the user's input (when applicable).

Put another way (as an hypothetical example): The game wasn't "coded" to make your 3B boot the ball that lost you a game - it's coded to have a probability chance of the player booting that ball based on their fielding rating. Madden devs use the phrase "dice roll" for a reason after all - it's the same thing here. Even Super Mega (which beneath its cartoony exterior is actually quite a deep simulation engine) displays the chance of a fielder commiting an error on a play after they make one, with a reason why it happened (if there is one - I've actually seen it show an error chance of less than 1% where it literally said "!@#$ happens")

Last edited by bcruise; 06-05-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2023, 09:10 AM   #86
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I recognize you as a long time member of this forum. I'm curious why you returned to 22.
Aesthetics. I do not care for the blue circle under fielders. The gameplay it self was as well done as usual. But I couldnt get past the visual of that pesky circle.
#44Syracuse
One's convicted, the other's a born liar.
Instead of George and Reggie, Billy Martin could have been talking about Donald and Joe.
Nov. 5, Choose: None of the Above
Old 06-05-2023, 09:24 AM   #87
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Ratings are weighted randomness - that's how you get variance in results that reflects the ups and downs of how players play from game to game in real life. It's very, VERY difficult for me to call that "scripting". The game is coded to follow basic physics rules and such as it applies to the game of baseball, and the game calls on certain animations to be played for each situation, but ultimately the results (success or failure) of plays on the field are decided by those weighted ratings along with the user's input (when applicable).

Put another way (as an hypothetical example): The game wasn't "coded" to make your 3B boot the ball that lost you a game - it's coded to have a probability chance of the player booting that ball based on their fielding rating. Madden devs use the phrase "dice roll" for a reason after all - it's the same thing here.
This makes the most sense to me from all that I've been reading on this so far.

The most simple description for me is assuming that my closer is coded to have a certain number of cold streaks during the season. His cold streak meets up with a team that's on a cold streak, and I get lucky that day. His cold streak meets up with a team thats NOT on a cold streak and he ends up getting shelled.

Or a fielder with a poor fielder rating is coded to have a certain amount of errors per season, and the timing of those errors is completely random at points during the season. Something like that.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:33 AM   #88
Pro

OVR: 4

[quote=DarthRambo;2050782063]IMO there has always been some sort of scripted feel to this game forever in a couple areas particular. Then every so often we have a year like 2023 where something new arises that is suspicious.

#1- The two out hits by the cpu. This has always been a thing in the game. First two outs are a breeze. Then they all of a sudden become very difficult to get the third out. Now this year I haven't felt this is as prevalent as previous years. But that's probably because the ease of getting a strikeout this year compared to any other year. But it's for sure still a thing in 2023 and probably always will be.

#2- This is a new one for 2023 I have definitely noticed myself. Any time I bring in a new RP, whether middle inning or not. They give up a homerun first at bat so many times it's extremely noticeable. Very weird, and a new one I've never experienced before.

I would never say or think comeback code however. Only one year I felt that was a thing YEARS ago I can't even remember the year. That year if cpu was down, randomly your 2B would drop the ball on the transfer before turning a double play.

This would seem to always happen at the worst times. Let's the guy at 3rd score to tie game etc. And every time it happened the cpu enevitably rallied and became unstoppable until they either tied or took the lead. I haven't seen this since that year thank God. I remember a lengthy thread about a comeback code that year particularly as well so I wasn't alone.

MY first season of franchise, I gave up a ton of homeruns and runs in general with my RP. Now my bullpen wasn't great, but shouldn't have been as bad as they turned out. It was so bad that I completely drained my pen in the offseason and went all in on RP in free agency. I now have the #1 rated pen in the league. Still giving up some runs, but not like before. With that said please don't change anything, as pitching in years past was a cakewalk. I'd rather give up too many runs than no runs at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »