Home

MLB 13 The Show Review (PS3)

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show Review (PS3) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #49
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: MLB 13 The Show Review (PS3)

During season...
There is a FREE AGENTS option from the front menus...

In the off season...
Go to the schedule....pick a day and hit X...
Go to MANAGE CONTRACTS and the FA screen will come up.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #50
Banned

OVR: 3
maybe you just cant hit, and need to play beginner mode, quit ya belly achin, the game is the truth. Or just play high heat.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 18
I never played 11 or 12 pre patch and I understand there were problems with stuttering on those games too. I am sure they will fix the problem in due time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #52
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Overall a fair review, but I have to disagree that ball physics and fielding play variety have seen only minor, incremental improvements.... it doesn't really matter now that the game is available and accessible to everyone so that they can just see for themselves, but as someone who watches a **** load of CPU games before actually playing the game myself, these gameplay improvements are something that pop out quite immediately. I wish more "expert" reviews like this one pay attention to subtle but very important aspect of a simulation game.

Likely I'm very biased for these areas of game play since that's where I always want to see improvements, but I feel those areas deserve much better recognition this year from professional reviewers... the law of diminished return for the game, but I feel that really is the reason why the game stands out as a good representation of real life counterpart.

I love the vastly improved "poor" hit variety and the corresponding fielding plays that gracefully handles the added intricacies on the field!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 6
Last one I got was 10. Sad to hear that fielding is the same. I'll get a new one once they implement a fully manual fielding system. Fielding is very important to me and I can't stand it when the cpu automatically goes after balls for me when my player is highlighted. Feels like I'm not really playing the game. smh
Old 03-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #54
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakan723
Last one I got was 10. Sad to hear that fielding is the same. I'll get a new one once they implement a fully manual fielding system. Fielding is very important to me and I can't stand it when the cpu automatically goes after balls for me when my player is highlighted. Feels like I'm not really playing the game. smh
Fielding is definitely not the same.

-- Sent from the Future...

YouTube

Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Fielding is definitely not the same.

-- Sent from the Future...
What's different about it ?

Does the cpu still take control over your player and guide you towards balls even when they're highlighted and supposedly under your control ?

Last edited by bakan723; 03-11-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #56
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakan723
What's different about it ?

Does the cpu still take control over your player and guide you towards balls even when they're highlighted and supposedly under your control ?
For one, it has changed each year since 10... that version still had a pretty big "suction" threshold when you got close to the ball landing zone. That is very small now.

Secondly, there will probably never be fully manual fielding. Assist is needed to even make some areas of fielding possible. I actually tried it at the community event last year, with no assists and even with an immediate camera transition, you don't have enough time to react. That is why manual fielding is possible in RTTS, because there is no camera transition to contend with.

Even with that, the fielding assist has been minimized, and at the same time considering each fielder's reaction rating. There is an recognizable reaction time (or lack of) amongst players who are not the best defensively; Miguel Cabrera for instance. Overall, there is an assist, but it is not much more than a switching control the the player... outside of infield liners, if the ball is hit and you don't move the stick, you won't field the ball even tho control is switched to that player.

Then there is the new button accuracy throwing, which adds a whole new aspect and difficulty to fielding. Reviews are mixed about the look of the meter, but it definitely changes the way fielding 'feels'.

YouTube

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »