Home

MLB 13 The Show Video - New York Yankees vs. Toronto Blue Jays

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show Video - New York Yankees vs. Toronto Blue Jays within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #169
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: MLB The Show 13 Video - New York Yankees vs. Toronto Blue Jays

Not sure if anyone noticed, but at 2:37 the OD batter has glasses on!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #170
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: CES MLB Show 13 Video: Yankees vs Blue Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Any guesses to what the symbols mean in the franchise screenie? There's a barbell, DNA strand, bicep, bat hitting a ball, a hand with an L, and a glove...

My guesses:

Bicep - raw strength/ability
Barbell - work ethic/aptitude
DNA - bloodlines/projectability
Hand - ?
Glove - fielding ability
Hand probably is RH or LH Pitcher
Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #171
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink4ever
It's not really a "lame excuse". Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the idea is that for every split second the camera remains in the first angle (behind the pitcher or whatever), it takes away a split second at the following fielding view. Therefore, there is slightly less time to react when the camera switches to the fielding view, necessitating more CPU control so that the fielder's are moving at the crack of the bat.

I don't exactly remember how the game does it, but I think PYS shows the ball trajectory for an extended time after the bat contact, but then turn back the clock a split second so that in the new fielding view you aren't really losing time to control fielders.

I don't necessarily like that approach since it takes away the real-time aspect of the game, but if having accurate control over fielders is the prime importance, then that is an option.

But everything in the Show happens basically on the same speed as in real life, so there must be some aspect of fielding assist mechanism anyways (perhaps except in RTTS...). Without such a mechanism, I think the game won't be playable. So my impression is that even if the Show removes a split second after the bat contact from the fielding view, I don't think the fielding control suffers that much overall.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #172
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

Just wanted to thank the devs for including the option to turn off all the on-screen displays. Something that I have wanted for a very long time! It's a beautiful game and sometimes I just would prefer a more clean look.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Kings / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
XBox: MizzouRhino
Old 01-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #173
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
The problem with numerical ratings is that people get hung up on the numbers instead of how the player performs. Sure there were ratings bars before(and I could view the ratings in the editor, but I couldn't access that info in game) but the Overall was so ambiguous that it made it difficult to determine who was rated higher.

This allows for a more realistic experience as a GM or coach. Girardi doesn't look down the bench and say, "hmmm I need a pinch hitter rated 80 or higher and he needs at least a 75 contact vs left and 85 power."

Like was stated before, as well, ratings are based off a formula based on position and a combination of ratings spit out of a formula to give you a number. So I'll have to choose between my 98 pitcher or 99 pitcher..
And it also should be emphasized that hiding the true player ratings (which roughly equal to numerical ratings since they are what most games use) is not only right for the realism and authenticity of the experience in sports gaming context, but also great because evaluating player talents becomes the game by itself.

After all that's why ball clubs spend a lot of resources into player evaluation and development... we really don't know for sure the players that we invest in are what we think they are. Some players are hidden gems, others are bust. Some are overrated, others are underrated. And perception is subjective... a manager might highly tout one prospect but other managers may not.... We really don't know what comes out till we let them play on the field.

Doesn't that actually constitute a large part of what we really want to experience in franchise mode? Not just winning and losing on the sport itself, but about evaluating and developing the talents? Number ratings that truly reflect player abilities robs us of that experience.

I hope the Show becomes the trailblazer in this direction...

.. if the Show starts showing tiny number ratings in every display real estate that it can find, that may be the day that I stop playing and start dedicating all my gaming time to Catherine...
Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #174
Rookie

ARMORALLL's Arena

OVR: 8

All I got was some stupid video about a watch. Lol
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #175
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

I cant stop watching this video over and over again, this game cant come soon enough!!!!
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #176
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
And it also should be emphasized that hiding the true player ratings (which roughly equal to numerical ratings since they are what most games use) is not only right for the realism and authenticity of the experience in sports gaming context, but also great because evaluating player talents becomes the game by itself.

After all that's why ball clubs spend a lot of resources into player evaluation and development... we really don't know for sure the players that we invest in are what we think they are. Some players are hidden gems, others are bust. Some are overrated, others are underrated. And perception is subjective... a manager might highly tout one prospect but other managers may not.... We really don't know what comes out till we let them play on the field.

Doesn't that actually constitute a large part of what we really want to experience in franchise mode? Not just winning and losing on the sport itself, but about evaluating and developing the talents? Number ratings that truly reflect player abilities robs us of that experience.

I hope the Show becomes the trailblazer in this direction...

.. if the Show starts showing tiny number ratings in every display real estate that it can find, that may be the day that I stop playing and start dedicating all my gaming time to Catherine...

EXCELLENT point.

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »