Home

MLB '10: The Show - Player Potential Fix Coming in Next Roster Update

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show - Player Potential Fix Coming in Next Roster Update within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #153
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: MLB '10: The Show - Player Potential Fix Coming in Next Roster Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl
Will you have to start a new franchise for this patch to work or will it change potential in an existing franchise?
you have to restart.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #154
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
You must've overlooked my post, I also disregarded obvious generic players as well.

I'm sure SCEA has their own scale, but based on current and projected future overall ratings and roles, I consider the following scale for potential:

Position Players:
A - All-Star to Future HOF'er.
B - Great bench players to solid regulars, of course some B players can be All-Stars.
C - Average regulars/One-Tool Players and bench players.
D - Bench players barely able to make the major league roster/Most minor leaguers non-prospects
F - Minor leaguers non-prospects

Pitchers:
A - Aces to Cy Young Award Winners and Dominant relievers.
B - Solid middle of the rotation starters and great relievers.
C - Back of the rotation starters/Long relievers and average to decent middle relievers.
D - Fringe starting pitchers/average relievers minor league non-prospects.
F - Terrible relievers/minor leaguer non-prospects

I also assume that the the potential is a player's peak overall and there is wide range for each letter grade.
I think that sounds good. I just was looking at people's posts about teams and every team had increases in potential, but I never saw someone say that someone's potential was too high or needed to be adjusted down.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #155
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I assume since it is in a roster update, it is not a patch. So you will need to start over with that updated roster.
Thanks, I'll skip it then. If you restart your franchise with default rosters the potential ratings will vary each time. If you are only worried about one or two players that is an easy way to fix it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #156
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by choadler
I think that sounds good. I just was looking at people's posts about teams and every team had increases in potential, but I never saw someone say that someone's potential was too high or needed to be adjusted down.
You know what, I just realized that second part in my reply went in the wrong post. That was supposed to be part of my response on why even already established players should get a potential boost to match their overall (as I assume the game already takes into account age and declining).
Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #157
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by choadler
I think one main reason you're seeing increases in potential for every team, aside from fandom, is the fact that alot of people want to see a more true "potential" for younger players. Most of the players listed are younger, and these players are traditionally rated less potentially then the older players in this game series. Also, if you have higher potential ratings for the REAL younger players, you don't have to worry about some FAKE player like DINO PUJOLS (a generated fake from simulated draft of last years game) becoming the main stay of your team.

To me, Mike Cameron isn't an A but a B and the same with Mike Lowell, Jim Thome, etc. But guys like Michael Brantley, Brandon Wood, Mark Reynolds, Stephen Drew, David Wright, Ryan Zimmerman, the list can go on for days, need to be A's or B's.

1. because their "potential" is much closer to those ratings
2. reduces the amount of "generics" who have A's and B's
3. Allows you to play a franchise for more than a few seasons and
has your teams younger players able to step in and take over the
premier positions.

The most Ideal "potential" scale would be a sliding one. You'd have your range of potentials for the younger players and then drafted ones, and via performance the ratings could go up or down for a player. Once in their "prime years" (let's say 28-32) the potential rating would stabilize. After your prime years, the ratings would decline like in real life, and a new batch of A's & B's would be replenished by younger players or drafted ones. Just like in real life. I'd love to see that in this or a future release. Besides I thought the main goal of this franchise is to create the most "realistic" baseball game possible.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #158
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drustrk3
Training im in control of during and after seasons I'm assuming? I dont remember doing this if it was a feature last year. Guessing it wasn't. Thanks for the answer...
Training AND performance.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #159
Rookie

OVR: 6

Yankees Brett Gardner's potential should be a B, and his fielding should be a B too
Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #160
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpunk
Yankees Brett Gardner's potential should be a B, and his fielding should be a B too
I watch every Yankee game and am a huge fan and I would not give him anything above a C potential. He is not a young prospect any more, he is 26 going on 27. At this point a player usually reaches his peak. He is a 4th outfielder type.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »