Home

Madden NFL 15 Training: Changes in the Wide-Nine Technique (Video)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Training: Changes in the Wide-Nine Technique (Video) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
I am now dumber for watching this... damn you Madden hype!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #34
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden NFL 15 Training: Changes in the Wide-Nine Technique (Video)

I didn't read every response in this thread, but let me say this, the Madden team doesn't have this totally wrong. One of the main reasons Schwartz and Washburn went to the wide-9 full time in Tennessee back in the early 2000's was to match up against the Colts' run game, which was built around those outside stretch run plays. And they had a lot of success with it. Schwartz's first three years, they finished top 5 each year in run defense, then they fell off when they went into cap hell, but were top 5 again his last two seasons. I even remember watching one of those podcasts a few years ago on the Eagle's website when Washburn was hired. He was elaborating on its effectiveness against the run, talking about how much better it was than other defenses because it was designed to constrict space and force everything back to the middle of the defense. Now, it obviously didn't play out that wasy in Philly, but that was the word from the horse's mouth.

Just to add on a little bit, the wide nine isn't technically a defense at all, it's a simple alignment, one that every team in the NFL uses and has been used for as long as I can remember. From the Seahawks, to the Colts, every team I can think of, running every type of scheme, they all will spread their defensive line out on passing downs and turns them loose. It's just until recently, it wasn't given a name, and there were only two teams (both Schwartz and Washburn affiliated) who had enough balls to align in it down after down and make adjustments to it to defend the run.

Now I say all that to say this, I REALLY hope going to a wide nine isn't necessary in this year's game to stop and outside run. I really hope this isn't a shortcut thrown out there in lieu of proper defensive techniques like setting the edge, and a force defender.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 08-05-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #35
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Inside run should kill the wide 9. Outside run shouldn't be effective because there is no room. And once the DE reads its a pitch or a sweep they should be able to contain it because the tackle should have no chance of getting to his outside shoulder. A TE would be required for assistance and that leaves a LB unblocked to make a play. People saying the run should gash the wide 9 aren't wrong, but it is only the inside run. The outside run should be difficult against a wide 9.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #36
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I didn't read every response in this thread, but let me say this, the Madden team doesn't have this totally wrong. One of the main reasons Schwartz and Washburn went to the wide-9 full time in Tennessee back in the early 2000's was to match up against the Colts' run game, which was built around those outside stretch run plays. And they had a lot of success with it. Schwartz's first three years, they finished top 5 each year in run defense, then they fell off when they went into cap hell, but were top 5 again his last two seasons. I even remember watching one of those podcasts a few years ago on the Eagle's website when Washburn was hired. He was elaborating on its effectiveness against the run, talking about how much better it was than other defenses because it was designed to constrict space and force everything back to the middle of the defense. Now, it obviously didn't play out that wasy in Philly, but that was the word from the horse's mouth.

Just to add on a little bit, the wide nine isn't technically a defense at all, it's a simple alignment, one that every team in the NFL uses and has been used for as long as I can remember. From the Seahawks, to the Colts, every team I can think of, running every type of scheme, they all will spread their defensive line out on passing downs and turns them loose. It's just until recently, it wasn't given a name, and there were only two teams (both Schwartz and Washburn affiliated) who had enough balls to align in it down after down and make adjustments to it to defend the run.

Now I say all that to say this, I REALLY hope going to a wide nine isn't necessary in this year's game to stop and outside run. I really hope this isn't a shortcut thrown out there in lieu of proper defensive techniques like setting the edge, and a force defender.
I don't even see the need for it to be a formation. Alter your line alignment at the LOS, and there, you are in the wide 9.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer

Thanks as always Senator for chiming in here. This makes me feel better. I was looking for the information that you just posted, but couldn't find anything. However, I did not think Clint was not being truthful, I believed him, just wanted to learn more about it myself.

To the bolded, I agree here completely. I played a league game in 25 last night against a guy who is beyond irritating to play. He runs to the outside with McCoy constantly, and even when getting the safeties involved, the pursuit angles are so atrocious. Your linebackers, even if put in flat zones to contain will take an inside path to the ball carrier every time and lose contain, thus opening up huge lanes to the outside. With a high powered offensive line, this becomes unstoppable, unless you sell out completely. Then when you do that, it's bomb it deep over the top - touchdown. Really hoping this nonsense is gone with proper outside shoulder technique and pursuit angles and utilization of the force and cutback defenders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »