Home

puja21 06-07 Offseason Project

This is a discussion on puja21 06-07 Offseason Project within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #337
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: puja21 06-07 Offseason Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
yeah i link names

Finn wrote me that names should be linked/pointed when possible (basically limit overwriting) to avoid possibly writing into this buffer on the end of the file which could be used by the game for something else-- apparently this can happen if the default # of characters in the name database is exceeded.

the law of averages says that if you overwrite every player name, however, (i think you edit this way right, dan?) it would be unlikely that you would exceed this finite character size since statisically you should randomly be overwriting just as many long names as short ones, & also be substituting in just as many long names as short. This is assuming that the players in the NFL today average the same # of characters in their names as 4 years ago (no reason to figure otherwise)
Yeah, I overwrite players because I have found that linking names together causes problems especially if you overwrite a player who's linked to another. I dont keep track of who I eliminate and who I used to overwrite him. The one thing that I try to do is use the same position for adding players. For example, I used QB Tim Couch for QB Alex Smith and so forth. I did have to use a few DT's for OT's but they are all in FA and I havent come across any problems when playing quick games or simulating the 2004 season in franchise.

The freezing problem I had after I finished CB's was because of Lions CB Alton McCann. I simply changed him to CB Dee McCann and the freezing went away. The QB punt returner problem has also been solved but I was never worried about that since I already knew how to fix it.

I figure that the name im adding in will be more or less the same as on ones that im eliminating. I dont see myself hitting the limit unless every player that comes into the NFL have long names like D'Brickashaw Ferguson as his name doesnt fit on the roster screen. It simply says D.Ferguson because his name is past the character limit which I think is 17 if I remember correctly.

So far, so good.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #338
MVP

OVR: 20

^yeah i figured that way would also work fine-- names aren't getting longer today
Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #339
Rookie

OVR: 1

Puja... I couldnt skim any longer through all the posts... 1st) are you working on a PS2 roster or an Xbox roster? 2nd) if it is for the PS2, have you posted somewheres a previous one in recent weeks?

TY and excuse the questions.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #340
Rookie

JohnTesh's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvibez
Puja... I couldnt skim any longer through all the posts... 1st) are you working on a PS2 roster or an Xbox roster? 2nd) if it is for the PS2, have you posted somewheres a previous one in recent weeks?

XBox only
Old 09-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #341
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:

yeah sorry this thread is getting so long. last poster is correct-- xbox only. the file's not quite finished yet but i'll definitely put up a playable version for this sunday's games.

^& then i'll keep working to enhance it indefinitely

Quote:
i am setting the leadership rating to a minimum of 70 for all team captains.
^regarding this.. i cant find an announcement or listing of the bucs captains on googlenews or any news feed. any tampa fans know who their 5 captains or if there were any even named? (i assume derrick brooks must be for one)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #342
Rookie

OVR: 1

Ahhh OK! Thanks... anybody got any leads on where I can fish for a recent and decent PS2 07-08 roster?

mucho thank you
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #343
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Ahhh OK! Thanks... anybody got any leads on where I can fish for a recent and decent PS2 07-08 roster?

mucho thank you
Search this sub-forum for ps2 discussion....they're out there. I think 3 characters is the shortest you can have in the search string. Also, there may be some leads over at the 2K forums.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #344
Rookie

OVR: 2

Lookin forward to this roster! ! Cant wait!!

Last edited by straindamage; 09-15-2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: my b

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »