Home

The Running Animations

This is a discussion on The Running Animations within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-09-2004, 02:10 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1
Re: The Running Animations

Quote:

jmood88 said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said:
I thought there were sixbillion people in the world.

The other 3 billion can't run.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!
Old 04-09-2004, 02:16 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

NYG_Meth said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said:

I just mentally slapped you in the face.

Don't slap me.... 'Cause I'm not in the mood. D-D-Don't slap me, 'CAUSE I'M NOT... IN... THE... MOOD!

Anybody remember Klymaxx?

.... Anyone?
Old 04-09-2004, 02:22 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Also, instead of always having grunts and growls on hits and tackles, let's hear the LOUD dolby digital 5.1 SHARP CRACK of pads smashing into each other on lay out hits like the one above.

Awesome idea goober! As a new, proud owner of my first 5.1 system, I concur how earth-pounding cool it would be to hear that CRACK! as my defender plants the ball carrier into oblivion! Since a lot of TVs are going Widescreen, I wonder if this will be the year we start seeing games DEVELOPED for 16:9 screens instead of 4:3? Here's hoping that NFL2k5 is the first this August!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2004, 02:33 PM   #36
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Quote:

jmood88 said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

I was laughing at that one too.

I think the claim that Madden (all ea games vs sega actually) animations are "smoother" is legit and it is due to the mo cap vs hand drawing. The mo cap will always look more realistic but the hand drawing allows you to put in the exaggerations previously mentioned to cover holes in transition. The only solution for mo cap would be adding more and more and more animations. That's a good enough solution for me if they do it. There is a desperate need for transition animations to be added.

But when you ask what is smooth, I think the best answer is the transition being seamless... realistic. When moving the analog stick around the player should move as if he would in real life. With mo cap if you jerk the stick unnaturally the player's movements will look unnatural. If you move it exactly as drawn up in testing it will probably look pretty real. There needs tobe more animations for the unnatural movement of the controller. This would be much easier to do with drawn motions. It's like making a cartoon.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:36 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:

Kanobi said: BTW, I also would like more ONFIELD emotion instead everything happening via cutscenes.

Agreed kanobi! I would like to see the return of taunting and post-whistle shoving and razzing. I know and understand why VC has changed the gamers control over a player after the whistle is blown, (Locking the gamer out of controlling his player because of pressure from the NFL to eliminate unsportsman-like conduct in a freakin' vide game…PUKE!), but I wonder if the AI could be allowed to have a little post-whistle spice with some infractions? Not you controlling the player, but an on-field cutscene with two AI controlled players getting in each others face. I would even like to see a ref and other teammates step in to separate the two players! This would be a REAL good way to get your emotions hyped-up to get you into the mood of the game! You don't even hear the players jawing each other like we used to during the Dreamcast days. What gives? I wonder why the 'Pump Up The Crowd Feature' was taken away too? Is this too controversial for the NFL to handle as well?

Back to your original comment, yes, I too would like to see much more emotion on the field and the sidelines, instead of just in the crowd. Don't get me wrong, I still want even MORE cutscenes than NFL2k4 because I love them. It is very rare when I skip over them. Unless I am losing of course, then I am still mad at the previous successful play I got burned on and I'm in a hurry to get going again. I am always up for more and more 'extras' in this title!
Old 04-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

wwharton said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Quote:

jmood88 said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

I was laughing at that one too.

I think the claim that Madden (all ea games vs sega actually) animations are "smoother" is legit and it is due to the mo cap vs hand drawing. The mo cap will always look more realistic but the hand drawing allows you to put in the exaggerations previously mentioned to cover holes in transition. The only solution for mo cap would be adding more and more and more animations. That's a good enough solution for me if they do it. There is a desperate need for transition animations to be added.

But when you ask what is smooth, I think the best answer is the transition being seamless... realistic. When moving the analog stick around the player should move as if he would in real life. With mo cap if you jerk the stick unnaturally the player's movements will look unnatural. If you move it exactly as drawn up in testing it will probably look pretty real. There needs tobe more animations for the unnatural movement of the controller. This would be much easier to do with drawn motions. It's like making a cartoon.

That's what I FIRMLY BELIEVE. Good that someone agrees with me. Ironically, although we want the players to LOOK real, we want them to be animated like a cartoon. Mo-cap should just be the basis for the motion.

Again, I think Splinter Cell is a prime example of this.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:20 PM   #39
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

the problem is drawn players really haven't looked realistic with exaggerated features. the madden 2005 screen shots are the closest to real i've seen but i've always been ok with a little jerkiness here and there for something close to a realistic look. Splinter Cell is amazing but how many of us can say, "Hey that looks just like when a sniper hides in the rafters and shoots someone in the head." With football we know exactly what every little nuance should look like so its much harder to make it look ultra realistic.

As for the Crowd Waving... known in those days as the CWB or Crowd Waving Blitz, this was the biggest form of cheese in videogame football. Kids get the same effect now by pulling up the audible screen and rushing to get the ultimate jump on the snap so that'll need to be fixed next year but the pump up the crowd was way too easy to get sacks, crush runners... sometimes make a tackle before the ball is even handed off.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:38 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

wwharton said:
the problem is drawn players really haven't looked realistic with exaggerated features. the madden 2005 screen shots are the closest to real i've seen but i've always been ok with a little jerkiness here and there for something close to a realistic look. Splinter Cell is amazing but how many of us can say, "Hey that looks just like when a sniper hides in the rafters and shoots someone in the head." With football we know exactly what every little nuance should look like so its much harder to make it look ultra realistic.

True, true. But actually I was referring to Sam Fisher's running movements and ESPECIALLY his "sneak walk." It's believable. Again, I don't think they should just make it up out of their heads and say "here's how a football player runs," but rather, use NFL footage as a GUIDE to drawing the animation.

On another note, see how this guy is striding into the endzone? That's what we haven't seen in the series. Long strides.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »