Home

Old 02-13-2007, 07:23 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Unbelievable

I loved the old Madden games on the PS2 and never played any of the 2K football games so I guess I'm in the category of those who've become disillusioned with the Madden franchise since moving to the 360. The franchise has gone backwards over the past couple of years and I think there's a growing group of people like me willing to consider an alternative like APF instead of automatically plunking down $60 every year for a lackluster game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #66
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

The problem with the entire article is that it has an unspoken premise from the start: The premise is that Madden 07 is plays some great, even competent, game of football, and that the average person "should" like it.

Well, I don't think we need to go into the problems of that premise, and the whole notion is presumptuous at best, idiotic at worst. The author then goes into suggest people haven't played it enough (I've logged many hours), and that people are stuck in a last gen mindset.

He doesn't get it.

People mention LAST gen Madden because it had MORE FLIPPING FEATURES!!

Lets review:

Hot blitzes? Check. Hot double teams? Check. Offensive hot audible slide protection? Check. Smart routes that extended any given route beyond the 1st down marker? Check. Defensive playmaker? Check. The ability to declare man to man matchups on defense, wherever the WR lines up? Check. Relatively lag-free online play? Check. Madden locker file storage? Check. No collision problems between eligible receivers and defenders whereby they "grind" against one another and stand in place? Check. Responsive controls with far less button lag? Check.

The list goes on. You get the idea.

So when he starts on people who keep mentioning last gen, I think there MUST be a serious distinction between the bubble gum chewing little kid who misses the old button configuration versus the people who miss last gen because it had features that Madden 07 360 and PS3 simply DO NOT HAVE. That is a darn big distinction.

Many people dislike Madden also because it has always "improved" at a turtle's pace as it was, but with the jump to Next Gen, it was even worse because features were missing for TWO FLIPPIN' YEARS IN A ROW..and the gameplay had tons of problems to boot. It went backwards in every area but graphics.

Heck, and then when online play is a laggy mess with dropped connections, what more can you say? It can't even get the simple stuff right. And then- let me ask- what the heck was the much ballyhooed ESPN license purchased for? A god darned TICKER? Gameday 2004 had a "ticker", and the game blew chunks! Is THAT "ESPN INTEGRATION?"

Fire up NFL 2K5 and tell me if THAT is ESPN integration, or that mess with an ESPN logo that EA is promoting? Which would you choose?

People are unhappy with Madden anymore because the product has grown stale, the innovation is non-existent, the improvements are miniscule (or going backwards on Next Gen because of not having the features), and the online play was an atrocity this year.

Its that simple. Madden 07 Next Gen has merely the Madden 03 current gen feature set... but better graphics, and worse online play.

Forgive us all for complaining about that fact, MaddenMania.

Last edited by quietcool72; 02-13-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #67
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

^^^Terrific post, quietcool. I've echoed many of the same thoughts over the last couple of years, and you bring up a great point in the fundamental flaw in the article, which is that Madden as it is on NG is good enough to be enjoyed alot by the average gamer.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #68
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
May I ask, the better question may be dare I, what about the article is causing this huge uproar in the 2k forum?

I know he made reference to "former 2k players being upset", but why is there this much fuss over the article?

I truly do not understand.
Well, I think amongst 2K fans and even nuetral parties, there has always been a bit of frustration with the blindly loyal Madden diehards. Now I am not talking about you nor most of the folks here at OS. People here are educated and some prefer EA, and that is cool. While I lean towards 2K, there are definatley things I like more in Madden (stat tracking comes to mind) so I can appreciate someone preferring Madden.

I don't know if that article created an uproar here, but it is mildly annoying. The article is consistant with the die hards stance that the game is near perfect. If anyone has a problem with it, then it is their fault. They are unable to adjust their play style to the next gen. Or they haven't really played the game. Or they don't know real football (This wasn't in this particular article, but an argument I have seen before).

Why should we care? Well we probably shouldn't. But two reasons come to mind. First off, fans of any series know a game needs to make a certain number of sales to stay in business. So for 2K fans, these can be sensative debates. Secondly, for the more nuetral fans that would be very interested in purchasing Madden if certain improvements would be made, the cause it not helped by the consistant reaffirming that the game is flawless. If a majority of "Madden only" guys gave 2K a try, they might not like it, but I have to believe they would be impressed by presentation and other elements. And considering that the game is 3 years old on a generation heading off into the sunset, some of the Madden fans would be thinking "Wow, I guess the EA powerhouse should be doing a little more with this puppy, we need be a little more demanding".

Anyways, that is my best guess. Sorry if I went off on a tangeant.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 3

What a nub.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #70
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
The problem with the entire article is that it has an unspoken premise from the start: The premise is that Madden 07 is plays some great, even competent, game of football, and that the average person "should" like it.

Well, I don't think we need to go into the problems of that premise, and the whole notion is presumptuous at best, idiotic at worst. The author then goes into suggest people haven't played it enough (I've logged many hours), and that people are stuck in a last gen mindset.

He doesn't get it.

Lets review:

Hot blitzes? Check. Hot double teams? Check. Offensive hot audible slide protection? Check. Smart routes that extended any given route beyond the 1st down marker? Check. Defensive playmaker? Check. The ability to declare man to man matchups on defense, wherever the WR lines up? Check. Relatively lag-free online play? Check. Madden locker file storage? Check. No collision problems between eligible receivers and defenders whereby they "grind" against one another and stand in place? Check. Responsive controls with far less button lag? Check.

So when he starts on people who keep mentioning last gen, I think there MUST be a serious distinction between the bubble gum chewing little kid who misses the old button configuration versus the people who miss last gen because it had features that Madden 07 360 and PS3 simply DO NOT HAVE. That is a darn big distinction.

Many people dislike Madden also because it has always "improved" at a turtle's pace as it was, but with the jump to Next Gen, it was even worse because features were missing for TWO FLIPPIN' YEARS IN A ROW..and the gameplay had tons of problems to boot. It went backwards in every area but graphics.

Heck, and then when online play is a laggy mess with dropped connections, what more can you say? It can't even get the simple stuff right. And then- let me ask- what the heckwas the much ballyhooed ESPN license purchased for? A god damned TICKER? Gameday 2004 had a "ticker", and the game blew chunks! Is THAT "ESPN INTEGRATION?"

Fire up NFL 2K5 and tell me if THAT is ESPN integration, or that mess with an ESPN logo that EA is promoting? Which would you choose?

People are unhappy with Madden anymore because the product has grown stale, the innovation is non-existent, the improvements are miniscule (or going backwards on Next Gen because of not having the features), and the online play was an atrocity this year.

Its that simple. Madden 07 Next Gen has merely the Madden 03 current gen feature set... but better graphics, and worse online play.

I think the use of ESPN in 2K5 was the best use of a license ive seen in a sports game.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #71
Banned

Geekboy's Arena

OVR: 5

Being an ex 2k5 addict and having lost my original Xbox for the 360 I was desperate for a decent football game.

I 'rented' Madden for the 360 desperately hoping to enjoy it having NEVER played any Madden in the past.

I was stunned at how bad it was. With that in mind I figured I was being totally biased and my opinion being typically in favor of my beloved 2k5.

That being said I took a day away from the Madden to try and calm my biases and try again a day later.

I WANTED to like Madden. I WANTED to play a decent football game on my 360. I picked it up again trying to find the positives.

It was unbelievable how bad it was. The people in the stands looked like characters out of the movie "Yellow Submarine."

The players all looked like bodybuilders and every single aspect of the game was laughable.

It was then I realized that EA even in the year 2020 would not make a game (even with the latest technology) nearly as great as ESPN NFL 2K5.

I don't think EA is evil. I DO think EA cares. They are just incompetent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #72
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72

He doesn't get it.

Lets review:

Heck, and then when online play is a laggy mess with dropped connections, what more can you say? It can't even get the simple stuff right. And then- let me ask- what the heck was the much ballyhooed ESPN license purchased for? A god darned TICKER? Gameday 2004 had a "ticker", and the game blew chunks! Is THAT "ESPN INTEGRATION?"

Excellent post Quiet
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »