Home

PES 2019 Full Game Impressions

This is a discussion on PES 2019 Full Game Impressions within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #65
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: PES 2019 Full Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Thanks. Is this the same for the CPU too or are all CPU teams tracking back and having an open midfield like in 2018? My biggest worry is these settings would have to be done for every single team in order to fix the CPU.
I don't have the game but based off the demo for the CPU it all comes down to how they are set up tactically. If a team is set up as All out Defence and defending out wide you are going to be walking into their middle of the pitch with little pressure. The AI won't adjust on the and switch it to middle, the only thing they will do is maybe mark a specific player. I really wish Konami would scrap this tactic system though as it is one extreme to the next, no balanced attacking or a team the plays a mix of short and long passing. Funny that FIFA 19 has copied their tactics set up and looks to have improved upon it but time will only tell if it truly works well for the CPU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #66
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Agree with Royce and Lareka. Tactics have a huge impact on the game and if they’re not set up correctly it can lead to repetitive AI behavior. I haven’t played long enough to see everything BUT there are certain tactics that need to go, defensive line for example..You can adjust your defensive line manually in-game or through another option.

Konami and EA need to spend more time in the tactics room understanding how their tactics affect gameplay. Option file makers are usually in such a hurry that they neglect tactics which is why guys like Krebstar (FIFA) and Klashman69 are huge assets to the community by taking custom tactics one step further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #67
Rookie

ImmortalMindz's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Based on playing the demo and a couple of impressions I think I already know the answers, but can anyone tell me if these two things are still prevalent?

1. Players back track immediately when a ball is turned over.
2. Midfield has hardly anyone in it so it's easy to go through.

If either one of these are true I will probably have to pass. They are the things that made me not want to play 2018 after the first few days. Thanks for any help!
For question 1, I would say no, players are really poor at tracking back or even responding when the ball turns over. It's actually driving me nuts at times watching my teammates stand by and not react properly. After playing the FIFA beta, in which this is vastly improved from previous years, players reacting properly really needs work in PES.

I'll also watch as my winger or midfielder begin to track back, but then they'll hit an invisible wall where it's like their tactical instructions say not to go further, and they'll just stop even when an attacker is like 5 yards away. This game has serious issues with tactical instructions overriding common sense footballing reactions.

For question 2, I'd say maybe. Sometimes it's definitely a struggle to bring the ball up, sometimes there's great midfield battles. Other times, however, I'll be able to dribble almost the length of the pitch. Too often I'll receive the ball at midfield, the CPU won't pressure me, and I'll be able to dribble clear to the box before a CB is bothered to step out. For me, though it's better than before, there's still way too much space in the midfield sometimes, while defensive marking and responses can be pretty loose and weak.

But honestly, I'd recommend playing the demo and deciding for yourself, because evidently many people have a higher tolerance for shoddy AI programming than I do.

Last edited by ImmortalMindz; 08-30-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #68
Rookie

PS4. Superstar. Game speed -1 and -2.

First impressions. I'm liking the fouls. Although in my 2nd ever game I got injured for 6 weeks in BAL (thank you Scott Brown I'll remember that one). I'm liking the mistakes. But the amount of 1 touch passes is still too much. I will say I've only played a few matches on superstar. I'll try top player.

I know people are mentioning mentioning full manual on pro, but that's pretty much out of the question for me as I play with the player cam. Manual is hard enough without the camera constantly moving around.

All in all I think it's a better game than 2018, but I'm still seeing certain things that pushed me away from it last year. Which is a little concerning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #69
MVP

lareka's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aderow
PS4. Superstar. Game speed -1 and -2.

First impressions. I'm liking the fouls. Although in my 2nd ever game I got injured for 6 weeks in BAL (thank you Scott Brown I'll remember that one). I'm liking the mistakes. But the amount of 1 touch passes is still too much. I will say I've only played a few matches on superstar. I'll try top player.

I know people are mentioning mentioning full manual on pro, but that's pretty much out of the question for me as I play with the player cam. Manual is hard enough without the camera constantly moving around.

All in all I think it's a better game than 2018, but I'm still seeing certain things that pushed me away from it last year. Which is a little concerning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Never played at any speed other than default 0. One question:

Making it minus speed causes less goals to be scored as the game gets slower? Or it's not a factor really ?
Old 08-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #70
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lareka
Never played at any speed other than default 0. One question:

Making it minus speed causes less goals to be scored as the game gets slower? Or it's not a factor really ?

It really only affects player movement. I believe ball speed (passes and shots) aren’t tuned accordingly which looks a little weird at times and depending on the camera you’re using, can make the ball move faster than the camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #71
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
I don't have the game but based off the demo for the CPU it all comes down to how they are set up tactically. If a team is set up as All out Defence and defending out wide you are going to be walking into their middle of the pitch with little pressure. The AI won't adjust on the and switch it to middle, the only thing they will do is maybe mark a specific player. I really wish Konami would scrap this tactic system though as it is one extreme to the next, no balanced attacking or a team the plays a mix of short and long passing. Funny that FIFA 19 has copied their tactics set up and looks to have improved upon it but time will only tell if it truly works well for the CPU.
Ya tactics are surely what this game lives by, especially when there are no sliders to adjust the CPU as a whole. That's one thing I wish they had. Sliders for the whole CPU and great tactics for the individual teams. Hopefully FIFA can do that this year.

Last year I followed Matt's instructions for the tracking back and tried other things and it just seemed like nothing helped. I even messed around with it again a few weeks ago and I think I actually ruined Chelsea and Liverpool because I went overboard ha. I love the PES gameplay and fluidity so much. It feels like soccer but I just do not want to waste money on a game where I can't fix these two things and then I'm done playing in a week like last year.

I don't think I've ever been more on the fence for a video game. Thanks a lot for all of the input guys. Much appreciated.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #72
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalMindz
I'll also watch as my winger or midfielder begin to track back, but then they'll hit an invisible wall where it's like their tactical instructions say not to go further, and they'll just stop even when an attacker is like 5 yards away. This game has serious issues with tactical instructions overriding common sense footballing reactions.
This has been my issue with PES for years! It is one of the reason why I passed on picking this game up during the launch window and at full price this year. Playing a 4-3-3 won't see your forwards track back at all and I agree you shouldn't have tactics overriding everything but unfortunately it does in PES. You can "fix" this by adjusting your Attack/Defence levels to defensive when you use the ball or change it to Auto and the CPU will do it for you but each team has they own Attack/Defence level that you can't see Papinho had a great thread on this last year (https://forums.operationsports.com/f...se-levels.html).

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »