Home

PES 2018 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3, PS4, 360, Xbox One, PC)

This is a discussion on PES 2018 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3, PS4, 360, Xbox One, PC) within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: PES 2018 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

on PS3 .. ball physic is improved .. passing system &shooting(especially from distance) is good .. it's quite enjoyable depending what settings do you use(difficulty, passing level, camera) .. atmosphere is like in 2016 - '17 version .. BUT 60% is too much for old gen ..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2017, 05:55 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm conflicted with this demo. The game feels good, feels fluid. Graphics are good. Differences between certain players is nice to see. Then there's the AI and defensive positioning and spacing. It feels like you can EASILY control every match. I'm finishing games with nearly 70% possession and the AI defense just gives up loads of space and doesn't react to lobbed through balls or early crosses. As someone said earlier, it just feels unrewarding to score at times. I'm having some fun with it despite that, but it's definitely an issue and is making me want to reconsider purchasing.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-31-2017, 06:04 PM   #67
Gaming Fool.

PAPERNUT's Arena

OVR: 8

Guys, please send your feedback to both @officialpes and @Adam_Bhatti on Twitter. It may not help this year , but can certainly help for future versions to plant that seed for change. Slower speed and PC finally being upgraded this year all stem from that feedback, so it works. Be respectful with critical feedback and not all negative and they will listen.

After finally playing the demo for 2-3 hours last night, I agree with most. The fouls are an issue along with the midfield play. I am seeing decent contact and fouls, but refs logic is just not kicking in. If we could mix the midfield play from FIFA 14/15 with this game and have solid ref logic, it would be a classic. I do love the defending though. Risk and reward is great. Have to learn to stop spamming the help button pulling everyone out of position and just get back and defend by playing the angles and keeping them in front of you. I thought the demo was easy at first on Superstar, but then went on a losing streak as I got into that rush up the field offense only mentality. A lot of that is the short demo time, but focus is going to be key for defending again. Tactics will be huge this year, so I will wait to pass final judgement till we see the full release as hopefully much of this can be fixed or limited apart from the refs.
Twitter
YouTube
Old 08-31-2017, 06:35 PM   #68
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
I was really excited to play this, but honestly it's a marginal improvement over last year, with a slight reduction in the default game speed.* Still a good game, but the defensive AI is so bad that the goals, while at times gorgeous, just never give me much satisfaction, because the opportunities are so frequent and the space is so immense.*
I've tried playing full manual, but there's something about it I don't like, almost as if the players don't sync up the same way or recognize when passes are coming to them.* I'm admittedly pretty unskilled at manual passing, but in those rare instances where I play a perfect ball, it just feels like the guy doesn't time his run right or whatever and it makes the game feel kind of disjointed.* Maybe I need to give it another go, because on Pass Support level 1 I'm already bored.
DB,

Yeah manual (no assistance) on PES is very input dependent. What I mean is that sometimes it takes a second or two for your foot/leg to complete the animation and "catch-up to the ball" in order to make contact. I've learned over the years to anticipate the pass and press the pass button a little early. In FIFA often the animation speeds up to get the pass/shot off giving the impression that the game is super responsive.

Another thing that also helps is the arrow modifier. I believe it's either L1 or L2 on the PS4. I'll use it when I'm not under pressure and trying to pick out a riskier pass. It's a good learning tool until you get comfortable with manual passing.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:41 PM   #69
All Star

OVR: 20

Man, PES 2018 continues the downward spiral for this once-proud series.

PES has regressed to the point where FIFA is a better simulation of football. Can't believe I'm writing that after thinking back to 10 years ago, when PES was a proper sim and FIFA was ice hockey on grass.

The defensive AI is pretty bad this year. Definite regression.

But the biggest flaw for me is how the CPU treats the midfield like a dragstrip. The CPU just motors through the midfield, with very little patient buildup play. PES has become even more arcadish than FIFA, something I never imagined.

Sure, PES uses a few back passes and long balls to add variety to the CPU attack. But I saw nothing other than Route 1 from the CPU attack last night, moving at warp speed through the midfield, regardless of my formation or tactics.

Combine that warp speed with rubbish defensive AI and awareness for human-controlled teams, and all the CPU needs to do is snap one quick pass through the midfield and one through ball past the back line, and it's nearly a breakaway for the CPU striker. Time and time again.

I applaud Konami for offering this demo, as always. It made my footy game decision very simple this year. I just put another circle around the release date for FIFA 18. Not only will FIFA 18 be deeper and have the official global license, I'm guessing it will be a better football game this year, too, as PES 18 hasn't set the bar very high.

I can't wait to read gaming media reviews of PES 18 claiming it's a better sim than FIFA 18, as that's been the false narrative for the PES series ever since EA got FIFA's sh*t together a few years ago.

Sure enough, we'll read reviews about how "plucky upstart Konami may lack the licenses, polish and depth of its competitor, but it provides a more realistic, organic football experience than FIFA."

Pure cut-and-paste BS from the last two years, if this PES 18 demo is any indication. EA will need to screw the gameplay pooch with FIFA 18 for it to be less realistic than the PES 18 demo.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #70
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

never before since probably the ps2 era has this game seem to have a great sense of playing just the ball.

many times even in fifa im busy looking at what the players legs are doing because of poor running animations and that stopping the immersion.

not with pes 2018 they seems to make the running uniformal and it looks leaps and bounds better
Old 08-31-2017, 08:16 PM   #71
Rookie

NYG88's Arena

OVR: 0

For those that have played PES in the past how is Master League compared to Fifa's Career mode? I downloaded the demo and I found the gameplay much better than fifa, and I've seen on YouTube on how to get teams transferred on the game with file options. Really thinking about making the switch this year, depending how Career mode is compared to Fifa.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2017, 08:56 PM   #72
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

I'll have my demo review out shortly. I know KG is working on his. I'm exhausted of talking about the same things, but I guess I'm not surprised when no feature ever listed defense, or off-the-ball positioning.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »