Home

PES 2018 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3, PS4, 360, Xbox One, PC)

This is a discussion on PES 2018 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (PS3, PS4, 360, Xbox One, PC) within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #57
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: PES 2018 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunogomes
Played some games yesterday, tried mixing a lot of teams to get a bigger "vision" about the game. Graphics, sound, bells and whistles, i donīt really care for that, they are good enough for me.

As always, i found the demo very easy. However, i know that play now games in PES are always easy and the mode i always play (Master League offline) is on a difficulty of his own, itīs always much, much harder. So im not concerned with this matter for now.

I think PES is the best and the worst on two distinct parts: itīs at itīs best around the box, and at itīs worst away from the box (midfield).

I found the gameplay near the box the best representation of football iīve ever played. The possibilities, the randomness, the feeling that any play can fail or suceed is the best thing in PES.

Unfortunately, the midfield game is nowhere near as good. Now, could the gameplay near the box be as good if the midfield game was improved in areas such as positioning and pressing? I donīt have a good answer but i can do a comparison: to me, personally, the great midfield game in FIFA has no equivalence near the box. Itīs the opposite of PES, the absolute opposite. To me, FIFA is terrible around the box, no variety, no feeling of "anything can happen".

So, could it be that at this stage , a game with a good midfield game can not have a good game near the box, and vice-versa? I donīt know, but i feel that itīs the state of things now... letīs see.
You bring up some very good points for few year ago I use to complain about how PES midfield play was brilliant but use to go to crap once it got to the final third but here we are now and it seems to flip like you mentioned. Crazy to think it has come to that but you may be right getting that right balance might be harder than we think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papinho81
I barely managed to play three games today, it is really too end to end to my taste...
Do you feel like it is more end to than last years version? It doesn't to feel that way to me but the way the defence line is set up just frustrating I have to manually push the line forward to not allow an easy pass to the opponents forward. I think I am done with the demo though only because I have seen all that I needed to see and will just wait for the final version. Bhatti has stated there is a day one patch with some bug fixes but I highly doubt it will address all of my concerns. Overall I am still optimistic and look forward to the final version.

Last edited by RoyceDa59; 08-31-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:48 PM   #58
Sexiest Woman Alive!

Peji911's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: PES 2018 Demo Available Now (Change region to New Zealand)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor_52
So which one has the authentic gameplay?

I played 10 Games on Superstar Difficulty without 1 Foul being called, if you dribble past 1 player the CPU backs off until you get into the box, just following your teammates, not the Ball, same issue 4 years in a row now since moving to the Fox Engine

to me this feels like a fun little Arcade Game, nothing more, especially offline

btw last FIFA Game i owned was in 2003
PES is by far the most authentic: weight of ball; looseness of ball; weight of players; animations; strategies; teams playing different styles, etc. Is it perfect? Obv not.

I buy both games every year and will always do so. FIFA doesnt come close. You can put Messi at CB and he will dominate at D; all teams play the same; very few outside shots, etc.

I will take lack of foulds against PC (online and local Multi is very different) over every team playing the exact same.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #59
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
Do you feel like it is more end to than last years version? It doesn't to feel that way to me but the way the defence line is set up just frustrating I have to manually push the line forward to not allow an easy pass to the opponents forward. I think I am done with the demo though only because I have seen all that I needed to see and will just wait for the final version. Bhatti has stated there is a day one patch with some bug fixes but I highly doubt it will address all of my concerns. Overall I am still optimistic and look forward to the final version.
Hard to say because my last experience with pes 17 was with team tactics which reduced considerably the space between the lines. I am sure tactic will help in that regard because the game look more like a football game when using and playing against 451 teams. My game today were Argentina vs. Brazil X2 and River vs. Boca so not the best teams settings.

But man, the effort we had to put into 17 tactics to have it playing decently has tired me for another year. If you add to that players editing (by default players ratings and traits will be very likely quite poor ) and may be an untouched AI coaching (all attack when drawing ect...) then... you know...

Last year I found the demo amazing and I could not stop playing it also because all this was new for me (coming from fifa with the last time with pes back to PS2 days). For me, the new things in 2018 demo do not out balance the amount of annoying/repetitive aspects I get used while playing 2017 that have unfortunately been transferred into 2018. Plus there is also some downgrading in the aggressiveness department with less fouls committed by the cpu. In 2017 (and the demo too) they would have cut your leg if you tried to dribble in the last third.

I really hope the final game will be different (also because I am on PC now) but I doubt the major positioning/marking/space issues will be addressed in the mean time. Finger crossed, but not too much.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #60
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by papinho81
Hard to say because my last experience with pes 17 was with team tactics which reduced considerably the space between the lines. I am sure tactic will help in that regard because the game look more like a football game when using and playing against 451 teams. My game today were Argentina vs. Brazil X2 and River vs. Boca so not the best teams settings.

But man, the effort we had to put into 17 tactics to have it playing decently has tired me for another year. If you add to that players editing (by default players ratings and traits will be very likely quite poor ) and may be an untouched AI coaching (all attack when drawing ect...) then... you know...

Last year I found the demo amazing and I could not stop playing it also because all this was new for me (coming from fifa with the last time with pes back to PS2 days). For me, the new things in 2018 demo do not out balance the amount of annoying/repetitive aspects I get used while playing 2017 that have unfortunately been transferred into 2018. Plus there is also some downgrading in the aggressiveness department with less fouls committed by the cpu. In 2017 (and the demo too) they would have cut your leg if you tried to dribble in the last third.

I really hope the final game will be different (also because I am on PC now) but I doubt the major positioning/marking/space issues will be addressed in the mean time. Finger crossed, but not too much.
I hear you brother it was a tiring experience last year not sure want to go down that lane again and like you said there are issues that haven't been addressed this year. We may fair better on PC though with mods and patches we will see.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:09 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose57
hi bro can u further explain how master league games r different? cuz i m like other ppl here feeling that play now is so easy, i can have ball posession over 70 all the time and just have full control of the game even on legendary, superstar level i mean, so please like talk more about how is a different story playing master legaue thanks
Well, from my experience, games played in ML are definitely harder than play now. There is a bigger sense of urgency on the way CPU plays, if you play a team that itīs your rival the game is even more difficult and full of tackles and cards, teams that are on the verge of being relegated are like walls defending. I have this experience every year. However, i do not buy players to improve my squad, and never play a 2nd season with the same team (to keep things fresh). Of course, if you build a team it might get easier on following years, but i donīt know for sure.

Quote:
You bring up some very good points for few year ago I use to complain about how PES midfield play was brilliant but use to go to crap once it got to the final third but here we are now and it seems to flip like you mentioned. Crazy to think it has come to that but you may be right getting that right balance might be harder than we think.

Like you, i also donīt feel it more end to end, but i do feel that it seems to be more space in midfield, the CPU putīs up a good defence around the box, but the cost of that seems to be let the midfield with more space.

I think this is the reason why we canīt have both. It just seems that no game, PES or FIFA have an AI developed enough to play midfield and around the box well, because these parts of the pitch require very different aproaches. But thatīs just the feeling i get because every year itīs the same to me. Buy both games, prefer FIFA initially because the midfield feels great and gives a sensation of realism initialy, but eventually get frustrated with CPU offense being too boring and predictable, get frustrated with the lack of movement of my fellow AI controlled players around the box... and switch to PES because of that randomness and anything can happen on a given play feeling.

Quote:
I hear you brother it was a tiring experience last year not sure want to go down that lane again and like you said there are issues that haven't been addressed this year. We may fair better on PC though with mods and patches we will see.
PC is definitely better for modding, but for console guys, like me, itīs a coin flip: hours editing tactics on PES or months tinkering sliders on FIFA and in the end both are flawed severely...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2017, 02:12 PM   #62
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
I was really excited to play this, but honestly it's a marginal improvement over last year, with a slight reduction in the default game speed.* Still a good game, but the defensive AI is so bad that the goals, while at times gorgeous, just never give me much satisfaction, because the opportunities are so frequent and the space is so immense.*
I've tried playing full manual, but there's something about it I don't like, almost as if the players don't sync up the same way or recognize when passes are coming to them.* I'm admittedly pretty unskilled at manual passing, but in those rare instances where I play a perfect ball, it just feels like the guy doesn't time his run right or whatever and it makes the game feel kind of disjointed.* Maybe I need to give it another go, because on Pass Support level 1 I'm already bored.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 11

this game got some serious aliasing issues--names on jerseys, hair, and crowd. not ready to compete imo.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #64
MVP

stlducks's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy_Long
this game got some serious aliasing issues--names on jerseys, hair, and crowd. not ready to compete imo.
I don't think anyone here would argue FIFA is better in those aspects. But those are pretty small complaints to have.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »