Home

Weather & Player speed

This is a discussion on Weather & Player speed within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-18-2024, 10:05 AM   #9
Rookie

SSplinter9's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Weather & Player speed

Maybe I'm misremembering this, but I recall one of the NCAA Football games having integration with the Weather Channel and it would "predict" weather based on a game created map. It missed the mark a bit, because it was basically another way of representing randomized weather, but visually it created a sense of a connected college football landscape.

I would like for them to eventually strive for a widely connected weather system with true dynamic weather (e.g., overcast first quarter that transitions into scattered showers throughout the game). I know this feature is available in the game engine, and with the focus on current gen hardware, I think it could be realized, eventually.

With all that being said, the weather has to impact gameplay. If I'm tearing up a field as a monsoon rages around me, I want to be forced into adapting my play-style to overcome poor traction or grip. Still too early to tell, but I am interested to see them advertising weather this early in the cycle.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:05 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulka
I agree with this thread with my whole heart. I hope we get dynamic and varying weather. The weather in Madden has been the same since Xbox one and ps4 came out and no changes at all.

Also on side note that goes with this, but this will a telling sign too. Madden 13 (last Madden on ps3 and 360) was the last Madden that had lighting that changed per snap. I just happened to see this last week. Remember how the old ncaa team prided them on getting the lighting correct. Going as far as going to different stadiums and capturing the sunset at different times of and different times of year. You can find this on YouTube with three part series that featured on ESPN on the making of ncaa 13 I believe.

Mighty big coincidence that Madden had decent lighting and weather until ncaa football got canceled. Then the weather has been the same since. Hoping with ncaa back we get real weather in both titles. One thing that still is concerning while looking at the pre order for Madden you still have last gen as an option. Just why?
Interesting

I never knew that about ncaa 13. Going to look it up on YouTube

I went back ànd watched the trailer and I couldn't really tell if the weather was different from the small clips they showed.

As mentioned before I just don't want to see the fields copied and pasted from madden. Because as you mentioned madden still looks like something from Xbox one weather wise.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 05-18-2024, 11:05 AM   #11
Pro

poulka's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSplinter9
Maybe I'm misremembering this, but I recall one of the NCAA Football games having integration with the Weather Channel and it would "predict" weather based on a game created map. It missed the mark a bit, because it was basically another way of representing randomized weather, but visually it created a sense of a connected college football landscape.

I would like for them to eventually strive for a widely connected weather system with true dynamic weather (e.g., overcast first quarter that transitions into scattered showers throughout the game). I know this feature is available in the game engine, and with the focus on current gen hardware, I think it could be realized, eventually.

With all that being said, the weather has to impact gameplay. If I'm tearing up a field as a monsoon rages around me, I want to be forced into adapting my play-style to overcome poor traction or grip. Still too early to tell, but I am interested to see them advertising weather this early in the cycle.
You are not remembering that at all. NCAA 13 and a couple Belford had live weather feature weather with the weather channel. Had their logo in the setup screen when selecting the options for a play now game. I had one game that had showers in the vicinity. But the game that sticks with me is zforida vs Penn St I did that was in Happy Valley it was overcast up there during I set that game up. Was most beautiful game as far as wether visuals. Madden over cast looks like you are playing a game with a hurricane off the coast it is just too dark.
F1 2021 Aston Martin Racing
Madden 23 Random play now matchups
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2024, 11:14 AM   #12
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Interesting

I never knew that about ncaa 13. Going to look it up on YouTube

I went back ànd watched the trailer and I couldn't really tell if the weather was different from the small clips they showed.

As mentioned before I just don't want to see the fields copied and pasted from madden. Because as you mentioned madden still looks like something from Xbox one weather wise.
If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and go read the ESPN article. They go in depth about the process and what it took to render every stadium in the game, their new lighting system etc. They said, the only a few stadiums they used from Madden, like Mercedes Benz stadium and the Rose Bowl because the Falcons and Rams played there. None of the assets from NCAA 14 were used. So they built the majority these things basically from the ground up. Same with the lighting system...brand new tech.

Truly a labor of love for that team. The amount of time they said it took to do just one stadium is crazy!

Last edited by TarHeelPhenom; 05-18-2024 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2024, 12:07 PM   #13
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSplinter9

The Weather Channel feature was great for its time. It wasn't dynamic which was the next step, but it was still a pretty cool feature.

Anyone know if Madden has weather in online game modes or is it still daylight and sunny? I remember liking that about the old NCAA games. You couldn't adjust the weather or time of day in the online modes.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:31 PM   #14
Pro

poulka's Arena

OVR: 8

For anyone interested you can search YouTube for the making of ncaa 12. This was a three part series that espn aired to show the work put into the features, lighting and sound in that game. Revolutionary stuff at that point of time.

I just wish for once we can get a football game that is next level in all aspects of football. This series lets you know that the type of stuff we have been asking for is very attainable.
F1 2021 Aston Martin Racing
Madden 23 Random play now matchups
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

Last edited by poulka; 05-18-2024 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-18-2024, 02:46 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulka
For anyone interested you can search YouTube for the making of ncaa 12. This was a three part series that espn aired to show the work put into the features, lighting and sound in that game. Revolutionary stuff at that point of time.

I just wish for once we can get a football game that is next level in all aspects of football. This series lets you know that syptuff we have been asking for is very attainable.
Semi-off-topic, I really wish they would have made a "Making of EA CFB 25" series or some type of Dev Diaries. With the game being away for 11 years, it would have been cool to see 3-5 part series going over the process of making this game again and all the hurdles they had to get over and decisions being made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2024, 05:41 PM   #16
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

Yeah they really need to have weather change at minimum half to half or quarter to quarter.

1st quarter overcast, 2nd drizzle, 3rd rain sometimes harder , 4th back to drizzle.

Another game: Raining hard 1st, slows down 2nd. Sun peeking out 3rd but ground still wet, 4th full sun.

Dynamic weather like this would be amazing.

Realistically I’d love for a whole daily weather map so if there are storms in the Northeast all the games in that region are affected. I don’t care if it’s made up in dynasty mode or not . So much can be done with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »