Home

Transfer Portal/Spring Practice

This is a discussion on Transfer Portal/Spring Practice within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-04-2023, 10:25 AM   #1
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Transfer Portal/Spring Practice

I believe that these two things should be features within Dynasty Mode for the new college games that'll be coming out starting next summer. In real life there are two portal windows...the first one in December after the regular season and the second after Spring practice Concludes. In thinking about that, it would be cool if:

1) Transfer Portal Database- Just like with recruiting, there should be a transfer portal database showing all players that enter. Each player should have a transfer ranking or separated by tiers.

2) Spring Practice- There should be an offseason Spring Practice Period with Positional or Depth Chart Battles. Depending on if a player moves up or down the depth chart determines their chances of entering the portal.

3) Two Portal Periods- The first portal window comes after conference championship week. The second after Spring Practice period.

4) User Coaches Ability To Encourage Players To Enter Portal- It goes both ways in real life. So, the user should have the option to "encourage" a player to enter. I know we had the ability to cut players in the old NCAA games, but that would remove them from the game entirely. Sending them to the portal would make them go into the Transfer Portal Database.

5) Players should have some sort of transfer meter- For example, you click on a player and his player card comes up. It shows his stats, attributes, and then some sort of meter...like similar to a morale meter I guess. If it's green then the player is happy and not a threat to transfer. If it's red then he's gone after the season is over.

What do you guys think? I'm sure we won't see anything close to that in year one, but I think it'd be good to implement something like this as time goes on seeing as the Transfer Portal is just as big as recruiting itself is now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2023, 08:25 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Transfer Portal/Spring Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
I believe that these two things should be features within Dynasty Mode for the new college games that'll be coming out starting next summer. In real life there are two portal windows...the first one in December after the regular season and the second after Spring practice Concludes. In thinking about that, it would be cool if:

1) Transfer Portal Database- Just like with recruiting, there should be a transfer portal database showing all players that enter. Each player should have a transfer ranking or separated by tiers.

2) Spring Practice- There should be an offseason Spring Practice Period with Positional or Depth Chart Battles. Depending on if a player moves up or down the depth chart determines their chances of entering the portal.

3) Two Portal Periods- The first portal window comes after conference championship week. The second after Spring Practice period.

4) User Coaches Ability To Encourage Players To Enter Portal- It goes both ways in real life. So, the user should have the option to "encourage" a player to enter. I know we had the ability to cut players in the old NCAA games, but that would remove them from the game entirely. Sending them to the portal would make them go into the Transfer Portal Database.

5) Players should have some sort of transfer meter- For example, you click on a player and his player card comes up. It shows his stats, attributes, and then some sort of meter...like similar to a morale meter I guess. If it's green then the player is happy and not a threat to transfer. If it's red then he's gone after the season is over.

What do you guys think? I'm sure we won't see anything close to that in year one, but I think it'd be good to implement something like this as time goes on seeing as the Transfer Portal is just as big as recruiting itself is now.
I would like that. Like with the NIL, the Transfer Portal is too big of a factor in real life to not include in the game.

To make it simple, treat it like an extension of recruiting. Where when going after players in Portal, you can use the same recruiting pitches.

I agree with have a Transfer meter. It could be affected by higher rated recruits at the same position, playing time, coaching change, scheme.

I actually would like the Transfer Portal in the game. It would actually make recruiting more challenging. You could never be complacent when you don't know who might jump in the Portal. But at the same time, you have to cautious about recruiting positions when it might cause other players to jump in the Portal.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:08 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

To do this right the game needs to get the hierarchy in college football right.

I've complained about it before, but at a low-major school, I should not be beating Alabama for recruits, and I shouldn't have a team loaded with 80-90 rated players.

The game needs to recognize that certain schools/coaches are almost always going to land Top 10 classes/be top 10 teams, and even with the best user skill, be almost impossible to beat unless I'm a high-major Top 15 type team.

The way the game weighted recruiting in 14, you could max recruit your 10-12 top guys, and because the game showed you where you fell on a players list and how far ahead/behind you were, you could aggressively target accordingly.

It's the wrong approach. If it's a similar recruiting mechanism to 14, Alabamas 50 should equal Middle Tennessees 600. But the game also needs to nail that guys aren't going to sit on the bench for 3-4 years. How many of you would redshirt a guy year 1, have him play minimal year 2-3, and year 4-5 he's mid 80s-low 90s?

And it's a complaint I also had for basically decades, but skill progression was a silly formula where pretty much every guy was +5. If I have a 55 WR go for 2000 yards, 125 catches, and 20 catches, his value is not +5 (60 overall). He'd be an elite transfer prospect. Likewise, the guy who doesn't play much, he's more likely to be neutral/regress, depending on age/role. The redshirt player likely gets better in certain attributes. The redshirt junior is unlikely to improve without reps.

If they can't get the recruit, portal, player progression right, I'm not sure I want them playing with NIL too much.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:25 AM   #4
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
To do this right the game needs to get the hierarchy in college football right.

I've complained about it before, but at a low-major school, I should not be beating Alabama for recruits, and I shouldn't have a team loaded with 80-90 rated players.

The game needs to recognize that certain schools/coaches are almost always going to land Top 10 classes/be top 10 teams, and even with the best user skill, be almost impossible to beat unless I'm a high-major Top 15 type team.

The way the game weighted recruiting in 14, you could max recruit your 10-12 top guys, and because the game showed you where you fell on a players list and how far ahead/behind you were, you could aggressively target accordingly.

It's the wrong approach. If it's a similar recruiting mechanism to 14, Alabamas 50 should equal Middle Tennessees 600. But the game also needs to nail that guys aren't going to sit on the bench for 3-4 years. How many of you would redshirt a guy year 1, have him play minimal year 2-3, and year 4-5 he's mid 80s-low 90s?

And it's a complaint I also had for basically decades, but skill progression was a silly formula where pretty much every guy was +5. If I have a 55 WR go for 2000 yards, 125 catches, and 20 catches, his value is not +5 (60 overall). He'd be an elite transfer prospect. Likewise, the guy who doesn't play much, he's more likely to be neutral/regress, depending on age/role. The redshirt player likely gets better in certain attributes. The redshirt junior is unlikely to improve without reps.

If they can't get the recruit, portal, player progression right, I'm not sure I want them playing with NIL too much.

If they plan on mimicking real life, then any player other than a project type of player(1*, 2*, some 3*) that are not on the 2 deep, should all be threats to enter the portal. How EA would go about implementing that correctly with all other variable, who knows? Blue Chip guys who don't play significant roles aren't waiting around anymore. Those same guys also aren't going down to play for the Akron's or the North Texas's of the world either for the most part. So, they need to make it difficult for lower level schools to be able to get high level players out of the portal.

It'll probably be closer to what it was in 14' where the game gives you a chance to build up the school you coach at to make it a high level school. It probably won't be much of a grind. But, they have to implement it right because the portal is such a big part of the game now.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:38 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

I like this idea. Unless they incorporate real life issues (such as a player getting arrested or failing classes), I would like it if you couldn't cut a player unless you encouraged them to enter the portal and they refused or didn't move on because they didn't get an offer they wanted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2023, 07:36 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think coaches should matter a lot more as well because at this point the kids are being recruited to the coach more than the school half the time. That’s why Lincoln Riley can take Caleb Williams with him when he gets a lucrative job offer

I’m not sure if we need all position coach slots etc but having coordinators matter to a significant degree in recruiting would make it easier to direct the flow of transfers too.

The 5* kid couldn’t crack the 2 deep at Bama, but the OC of his 2nd choice is now a head coach, he might be inclined to jump over there.
Old 05-13-2023, 01:10 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:

It'll probably be closer to what it was in 14' where the game gives you a chance to build up the school you coach at to make it a high level school. It probably won't be much of a grind. But, they have to implement it right because the portal is such a big part of the game now.
'14 gave the coaches/scheme too much power, like how option teams were almost all Top 10... I used to go in and edit option program QBs to try to limit their success.

From a coach perspective, there needs to be incentive to move up, and in our proposed case, it's that it's very difficult to land 4/5 star, 85+ caliber talent at low major programs, it's hard to land elite transfer talent at low major programs, and ultimately, you may build a perennial MAC contender at Kent St, but you'll get blown away most times against power programs.

And if you want to keep the core recruiting system from '14, fine, but my one recommendation is please do not have a visible ranking list/points for each recruit. Maybe you can have a visible list of Top 15, Top 10, Top 5, etc, wherever the player is in their recruiting, but to me it's an absolutely cheat to know where you are, how many points you are ahead/behind, etc. Can make having a valuable recruiter who can share notes to the effect of "We are in the lead," "We are in this," "We don't really have a shot." A great recruiter is often right, a bad recruiter is often wrong. Just another idea. I don't care about grinding through recruiting, but I want to grind the coaching carousel, and not be able to be a national contender at a MAC school 2-3 years in.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:25 PM   #8
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
'14 gave the coaches/scheme too much power, like how option teams were almost all Top 10... I used to go in and edit option program QBs to try to limit their success.

From a coach perspective, there needs to be incentive to move up, and in our proposed case, it's that it's very difficult to land 4/5 star, 85+ caliber talent at low major programs, it's hard to land elite transfer talent at low major programs, and ultimately, you may build a perennial MAC contender at Kent St, but you'll get blown away most times against power programs.

And if you want to keep the core recruiting system from '14, fine, but my one recommendation is please do not have a visible ranking list/points for each recruit. Maybe you can have a visible list of Top 15, Top 10, Top 5, etc, wherever the player is in their recruiting, but to me it's an absolutely cheat to know where you are, how many points you are ahead/behind, etc. Can make having a valuable recruiter who can share notes to the effect of "We are in the lead," "We are in this," "We don't really have a shot." A great recruiter is often right, a bad recruiter is often wrong. Just another idea. I don't care about grinding through recruiting, but I want to grind the coaching carousel, and not be able to be a national contender at a MAC school 2-3 years in.

Yeah, I wasn't at all a fan of the points system. My hope is that they reach out to and bring on either Rivaks or 247 Sports and incorporate them into recruiting. If so, we can see predictions made as to where a recruit "may" sign. They really need to bring it to modern day whatever they do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »