Home

Transfer Portal/Spring Practice

This is a discussion on Transfer Portal/Spring Practice within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-15-2023, 09:38 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Transfer Portal/Spring Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
'14 gave the coaches/scheme too much power, like how option teams were almost all Top 10... I used to go in and edit option program QBs to try to limit their success.

This phenomenon was mostly limited to just the Flexbone. Other offensive schemes did not have this type of advantage. EA finally got the option offense correct, but the defenses were still NFL-like in the sense where the option and QB runs were often ignored. Too often I have 2 defenders in position to defend the option and both either take the QB or both take the Pitch man resulting in a 10+ yard gain where they should have gained 2 or 3 yards. Even the defensive plays with a MLB spy on the QB will bite hard on the hand-off fake to the RB.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:40 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
To do this right the game needs to get the hierarchy in college football right.

I've complained about it before, but at a low-major school, I should not be beating Alabama for recruits, and I shouldn't have a team loaded with 80-90 rated players.

The game needs to recognize that certain schools/coaches are almost always going to land Top 10 classes/be top 10 teams, and even with the best user skill, be almost impossible to beat unless I'm a high-major Top 15 type team.

I think the game needs to implement "School Rules", which could help to implement your suggestions. We typically read comments about how the military academies end up very strong about halfway through a dynasty. Some of the reasons is because they haven't implemented a "real academy" school. They do not redshirt (I believe Notre Dame does not redshirt either) and then they have redshirt Seniors get drafted which also doesn't happen in real life. A few years ago I was going after a high 3-star QB who had Pro Potential as a deal breaker and I lost him to Navy. While this kid probably wouldn't want to join me at UAB in real life, he surely wouldn't go to Navy (or Army or Air Force) because their Pro Potential should be rated F throughout the duration of the dynasty.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:41 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
If they plan on mimicking real life, then any player other than a project type of player(1*, 2*, some 3*) that are not on the 2 deep, should all be threats to enter the portal. How EA would go about implementing that correctly with all other variable, who knows? Blue Chip guys who don't play significant roles aren't waiting around anymore. Those same guys also aren't going down to play for the Akron's or the North Texas's of the world either for the most part. So, they need to make it difficult for lower level schools to be able to get high level players out of the portal.

It'll probably be closer to what it was in 14' where the game gives you a chance to build up the school you coach at to make it a high level school. It probably won't be much of a grind. But, they have to implement it right because the portal is such a big part of the game now.

Back in May, I thought you nailed it in your first paragraph. Now we see starting QBs from ranked teams who would be playoff teams next year in the portal. Determining who will transfer in this game in future seasons of a dynasty isn't as simple as it once appeared. I can see this being the most hated part of the new game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2023, 04:29 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
'14 gave the coaches/scheme too much power, like how option teams were almost all Top 10... I used to go in and edit option program QBs to try to limit their success.

From a coach perspective, there needs to be incentive to move up, and in our proposed case, it's that it's very difficult to land 4/5 star, 85+ caliber talent at low major programs, it's hard to land elite transfer talent at low major programs, and ultimately, you may build a perennial MAC contender at Kent St, but you'll get blown away most times against power programs.

And if you want to keep the core recruiting system from '14, fine, but my one recommendation is please do not have a visible ranking list/points for each recruit. Maybe you can have a visible list of Top 15, Top 10, Top 5, etc, wherever the player is in their recruiting, but to me it's an absolutely cheat to know where you are, how many points you are ahead/behind, etc. Can make having a valuable recruiter who can share notes to the effect of "We are in the lead," "We are in this," "We don't really have a shot." A great recruiter is often right, a bad recruiter is often wrong. Just another idea. I don't care about grinding through recruiting, but I want to grind the coaching carousel, and not be able to be a national contender at a MAC school 2-3 years in.
I agree with you to an extent, it needs work. BUT, I will say that the points and knowing other interested schools and who led and all that is pretty true to real life. I'm a Texas Longhorn fan and every year there's kids that have UT as a lead but they have other recruits they value more at the position and will in turn "spend more points" recruiting those players and less points on others.

To me, it's about balancing CPU teams to spend points more realistically so I can't just spam points on them and take huge leads.

I also liked the scouting system where you could find out if the 5 star was actually rated as high as it said or finding "gems". Just needs balancing. I think that's how you balance lower teams still finding good players.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:45 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've created a transfer portal tool on Google Sheets that lets you do a lot of what's been discussed in this thread. It works on both CFBR and vanilla NCAA 14.

Here's the link to it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...usp=drive_link

You'll need to make a copy of it on your Google Drive. It won't work if you download it to your computer.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:48 PM   #14
Rookie

There's also a channel for this tool on the CFBR Discord where you can get support from me and the community.

https://discord.com/channels/7077870...82059871125505
Old 02-16-2024, 08:00 PM   #15
Rookie

Razor Hogs's Arena

Putting Spring practices/scrimmages in the game is a very neat idea, and then before the season starts allow the user to make the final call on your QB1, RB1/2, WR1/2, and so on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2024, 08:25 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Yeah, I would like to see the Spring Game make it in. I actually would love Dynasty seasons to start out before the seasons start. When starting a Dynasty, I would like it to start just after the Bowl Season. That way you still have a chance to get a couple late recruits before National Signing Day.

When starting a new Dynasty mode, especially as a lower tier school, it'd be ideal to be able to play a Spring Game. There's a strong chance that if someone is starting a 1-2 star school, that you probably didn't actually play a game with them in Exhibition. It'll be cool to be able figure out how you want to set the depth chart.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »