Home

This attempt at college basketball is pathetic

This is a discussion on This attempt at college basketball is pathetic within the College Hoops 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
This attempt at college basketball is pathetic

First off...Im a major college sports fan. Doesnt matter if its football or basketball, I like them better than their pro counterparts.

I avoid the bugs and glitches thread because I find that some people will find issues that I dont notice, but when I read about them...all of a sudden it bothers me. Forgive me if I mention something that has been brought up before.

WTF is up with the announcing? I have not heard a worse announcer since the early 90s. He cant even get the score right. I was winning 1 - 0 in the first 20 seconds of the game, and he comes across saying there is a double digit lead??? At one point I was up by 4 and he said we were down by 9. I dont get it. I have never heard errors this bad in my life.

WTF is up with the atmosphere? I didnt hear my band play or the cheers from the cheerleaders or anything. I heard the band when the game started....at half time, and when the game ended....99% of the time during the game was DEAD silence. I thought there was a glitch or something, so I adjusted the volumn , but to no avail. I then put in 2k7 and got my atmosphere back.

WTF is up with blocks?? Wether it be my guy or the computer... I go up for a dunk...no cpu guy around...all of a sudden I go into some sort of slow motion dunk, and it gets blocked from behind. Same with the computer. He can be wide open for a dunk or lay up, but the game slows down enough for me to catch up to him and block it. In retrospect, how the hell can you pull down a rebound and put the shot back up with 3 defenders in your face, yet it goes in without getting blocked. This defies almost every amount of baskeball logic Ive ever witnessed.

What is going on with the steals?? I see a guy wide open on the perimeter, so I go to guard him. I know his teammate is getting double teamed in the paint, so its likely he will kick it out. Sure enough, he passes the ball to the perimeter. I am standing DIRECTLY in the passing lane to get the steal . I swat at the ball, and it goes right the fug through me!!

I saw a long thread about this being the greatest basketball game ever and picked it up. I read about some of the bugs in that thread, but most wouldnt have an impact on my play length ( as I tend to never play more than 1-2 seasons )

Only way anyone could even remotely consider this a good basketball title is have rampant blind fanboyism going on. And no...Im no EA basketball fan. I havent played a March Madness this decade.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
stewaat

OVR:
Re: This attempt at college basketball is pathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
First off...Im a major college sports fan. Doesnt matter if its football or basketball, I like them better than their pro counterparts.

I avoid the bugs and glitches thread because I find that some people will find issues that I dont notice, but when I read about them...all of a sudden it bothers me. Forgive me if I mention something that has been brought up before.

It's hard to avoid those threads. A lot of people find a little thing and complain non stop about it. It's all about taking the game for what it is.

WTF is up with the announcing? I have not heard a worse announcer since the early 90s. He cant even get the score right. I was winning 1 - 0 in the first 20 seconds of the game, and he comes across saying there is a double digit lead??? At one point I was up by 4 and he said we were down by 9. I dont get it. I have never heard errors this bad in my life.

It definitely lacks. I don't think it's all that bad. There was a glitch for me playing as UNC when Rafferty would repeated some lines back to back. Anyways they mess up the scores sometimes and say random things but it doesn't affect my liking of the game.

WTF is up with the atmosphere? I didnt hear my band play or the cheers from the cheerleaders or anything. I heard the band when the game started....at half time, and when the game ended....99% of the time during the game was DEAD silence. I thought there was a glitch or something, so I adjusted the volumn , but to no avail. I then put in 2k7 and got my atmosphere back.

Definitely agree. The 6th man feature isn't injecting atmosphere in the game either. In the patch they are going to put back the "oooohhhhhhhh" cheer when home team is on defense, so that should help some.

WTF is up with blocks?? Wether it be my guy or the computer... I go up for a dunk...no cpu guy around...all of a sudden I go into some sort of slow motion dunk, and it gets blocked from behind. Same with the computer. He can be wide open for a dunk or lay up, but the game slows down enough for me to catch up to him and block it. In retrospect, how the hell can you pull down a rebound and put the shot back up with 3 defenders in your face, yet it goes in without getting blocked. This defies almost every amount of baskeball logic Ive ever witnessed.

[b]Yea the blocks piss me off. They are removing that one animation where the lay up ALWAYS gets blocked with the patch. I've seen lay ups get blocked consistently but I haven't had the blocked dunks problem.

What is going on with the steals?? I see a guy wide open on the perimeter, so I go to guard him. I know his teammate is getting double teamed in the paint, so its likely he will kick it out. Sure enough, he passes the ball to the perimeter. I am standing DIRECTLY in the passing lane to get the steal . I swat at the ball, and it goes right the fug through me!!

[b]There definitely needs to be better collision detection with the ball. Have defenders go into passing animations to pass AROUND people. That would be a huge touch!

I saw a long thread about this being the greatest basketball game ever and picked it up. I read about some of the bugs in that thread, but most wouldnt have an impact on my play length ( as I tend to never play more than 1-2 seasons )

I'm a legacy guy, it kills me about the progression!

Only way anyone could even remotely consider this a good basketball title is have rampant blind fanboyism going on. And no...Im no EA basketball fan. I havent played a March Madness this decade.
I think the on-line play is pretty good. With the patch they are going to tone down the double team effectiveness so when that happens on-line will get even better.

It's a fun game but the depth is crippled with the progression flaws.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

The blocks are bad, hopefully the patch will tone them down some.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Old 01-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
MVP

BSanders's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Only way anyone could even remotely consider this a good basketball title is have rampant blind fanboyism

There you go.... If I don't agree with you then I'm a fanboy.. We know what they say about opinions and a'holes we all have one. I love CH2k8 and NBA2k8 and hated AP2k8 so what does that make me? A fake fanboy.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
Those may be the only times you could realistically hear the band play while playing. They can't play while the ball is in play. They can't play during free throws. Pretty much timeouts is when the band can play, outside of pre-game and halftime.

The gameplay issues and progression are problems with next gen, it seems, and the atmosphere could definitely be juiced up a bunch. I am on PS2 and I have not seen the same issues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I think you need to learn how to play the game, these are all noob issues that vets know how to deal with.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 01-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
MVP

chestnutz6's Arena

OVR: 11

I can agree with some things, but others I disagree...

It isn't that bad. I play with the announcing down low, so I can hear the player chatter and crowd more.

The patch should help some, but I do agree somewhat. I want the crowd to be as loud as they can if it's a big school.

Blocks are bad too, which is why I put the CPU Block slider at like 10. The patch is getting rid of the stupid block animation where you drive and the animation forces it into a block, which is accountable for like 50% of the blocks IMO.

Was just thinking about this today, and how if I'm completely denying the pass by putting my hand in the land, they'll still pass it and for some reason I can't steal it. 2k really needs to improve on the steals in the game, there should be more pokes and deflections that YOU CAN CONTROL WHAT HAPPENS AFTERWARDS, as often its just an animation.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 17

Biggest issue with blocks IMO are on the outside shots. I think there are FAR too many blocks from the outside even when the guy looks wide open. Rather, if you let the defender get right into your grill then he has zero chance of blocking it. This part of the game could really use a fix but we shall just have to wait and see what is done.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K »