Home

NBA 2k24 Tendency Edits Discussion

This is a discussion on NBA 2k24 Tendency Edits Discussion within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-22-2024, 11:20 AM   #1
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13
NBA 2k24 Tendency Edits Discussion

For years, there were several threads discussing tendencies, how they work and how to make 2K play a more realistic game of basketball.

Threads like this one for example:
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...alism-146.html

Started this one to get back to that. Feel free to ask any tendency-related questions or share useful findings here!

Let's keep the pool of knowledge flowing.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2024, 07:50 AM   #2
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NBA 2k24 Tendency Edits Discussion

Wish more people would chime in on these discussions. They are absolutely pivotal in making players on the court act like their real life counter parts.

Coupled with the right playbooks and playtypes, tendencies are an absolute must.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:08 AM   #3
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Wish more people would chime in on these discussions. They are absolutely pivotal in making players on the court act like their real life counter parts.

Coupled with the right playbooks and playtypes, tendencies are an absolute must.
Agreed!

I'm not sure if this has been your experiece Dave, but one of the tendencies that has always kind of caused me to rethink my approach is touches.

But backing up, the shot tendency too. For years, the formula I used was based on FGAs per minute. I've used usage percentage too. But the results I got just weren't cutting it when it comes to scoring distribution.

I've recently shifted to a formula using points per 36 minutes and the results have been much more in line with what I want.

So, getting back to touches. I've seen people again mention using usage percentage. I've seen people say make it 50 for everyone. Most recently, I tried the latter because in past 2ks, the stars would end up being too much of a focal point. This year, I feel like setting it at 50 made things too even.

So, over the weekend, I tried just setting touches and shot tedency to the same values. And I'm really liking the results!

Old 02-26-2024, 10:51 AM   #4
MVP

daveberg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Agreed!

I'm not sure if this has been your experiece Dave, but one of the tendencies that has always kind of caused me to rethink my approach is touches.

But backing up, the shot tendency too. For years, the formula I used was based on FGAs per minute. I've used usage percentage too. But the results I got just weren't cutting it when it comes to scoring distribution.

I've recently shifted to a formula using points per 36 minutes and the results have been much more in line with what I want.

So, getting back to touches. I've seen people again mention using usage percentage. I've seen people say make it 50 for everyone. Most recently, I tried the latter because in past 2ks, the stars would end up being too much of a focal point. This year, I feel like setting it at 50 made things too even.

So, over the weekend, I tried just setting touches and shot tedency to the same values. And I'm really liking the results!
Hey bud,

I don't deep dive as far as accurate analytics go, but always make a conscious effort to push hard with the tendencies to get players doing what they should be doing. Let me control the Bulls, and I'll give you a game as close to real life from me as possible, but let the cpu do their thing......that's the battle.

It always seems so hit and miss when putting everything together for each team. I'm still rolling with 2k23 and am a classics/90's my era guy exclusively, so it's a nightmare trying to balance everything out. One game I'll have Stockton diming to Malone on their signature pick and roll plays like a dream, the next game, watching them during testing, they're just all over the place. It's a tightrope act to get everything right on the money.

Touches are super important, but I can never seem to nail the golden number to get everyone involved, and the Stars not hogging the ball. I'll have everyone involved if I drop touches down to around 60, but the stars don't seem to step up, so I crank them to 90, then the rest of the team suffers.

Guards normally have the ball more than anyone else, so as a rule, I always dip them to 50/60 touch with 'Attack strong on drive' set to around 50 and their passing attributes high, so they'll drive and kick more. Been seeing good results there.

Play discipline is important, too. For volume shooters and high profile stars, I have it around 25/30 so they'll be free to take shots if it's there, but try to keep everyone else around 40. (Low scoring or bench warmers 50 - 80 range)

As painful as the process sounds, I enjoy all the tweaking and testing.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:43 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

First thing I do is Remove ALL Badges.

I make all Players Flashy Pass Tendency 100

ALL Players Take Charge Tendency to 100

I like to have Majority of PG, SG, SF Mid Range Tendency to 60 or Above.

All Players Dish Tendency 50 or Above

Ratings

I also do Passing IQ & Passing Vision 70 or Above
for All PG,SG,SF and 50 or Above for All PF, C

These are my Basic Global Edits for All Rosters I play with

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2024, 05:22 PM   #6
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
First thing I do is Remove ALL Badges.

I make all Players Flashy Pass Tendency 100

ALL Players Take Charge Tendency to 100

I like to have Majority of PG, SG, SF Mid Range Tendency to 60 or Above.

All Players Dish Tendency 50 or Above

Ratings

I also do Passing IQ & Passing Vision 70 or Above
for All PG,SG,SF and 50 or Above for All PF, C

These are my Basic Global Edits for All Rosters I play with
Why flashy pass at 100?

Old 02-26-2024, 09:38 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Why flashy pass at 100?
You will see some really Great Passes from Players with High Passing Vision.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 02-27-2024, 06:11 AM   #8
MVP

daveberg's Arena

Seeing some superb drive and kick results now having lowered the 'Attack strong on drive' between 50/60 and increasing 'Dish to open man' to 70/80 plus for PG's and SG's.

Post game is looking on point. Tested a CPU vs CPU game with Boston vs Denver last night and McHale was killing it down low against Mt Mutombo with his bag of tricks. Up and under tendency set high, coupled with high backdown, drop step and hop step tendencies.

I think for the most part people underestimate how important playtypes and specific plays are, as I mentioned earlier. Along side tendency tweaks, these are game changers. I'd also stress that setting the teams scoring emphasis helps a great deal, too. (Neutral, attack the basket, get shooters open, feed the post etc etc)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »