Home

MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #97
Rookie

letsgomets75's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Betts is a RF...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Played CF for most of last year and will be a CF in MLB 16 TS. I know he's playing RF this year.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #98
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgomets75
Played CF for most of last year and will be a CF in MLB 16 TS. I know he's playing RF this year.
The devs are usually pretty quick to fix positions once they get pointed out I feel from situations in the past, especially when it came to DD I feel.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #99
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyT11
But the shredder didn't have Marte as the top LF in baseball. It had Michael Brantley as number 1 and Marte was number 2.
Brantley is in the AL. Upton, Peralta and Marte were in the NL last year. The discussion was who is best among those three. So, according to the Shredder, Marte would be better than Upton and Peralta. I never said anything about Brantley. My concern is the attributes and potential that is given to Marte. Brantley is an A potential and no argument from me there. Upton as an A and Marte a B is something I do not agree with.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #100
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla Da Le Playa
Posey should have a higher block rating than Salvador. Posey was behind the plate far fewer time than Salvador. if wild pitch numbers factored in to block rating then Posey beats Salvador by a mile there too
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I believe attributes are based more upon stats than peripheral stuff which IRL impact a player but would be impossible to research and implement into the show.

Regarding Posey and Perez they had the same number of passed balls but Perez had 146 wild pitches to Posey's 76 - nearly double. The blocking attribute is about pitches in the dirt. Pitches in the dirt which get away from the catcher are not ruled to be passed balls. Pitches in the dirt which get away from the catcher are ruled to be wild pitches. Therefore I suspect the reason Perez has a lower blocking attribute than Posey is because he has nearly twice as many wild pitches.
So you guys assume wild pitches are the fault of the catcher. Posey did not have to catch Ventura--and I do not think the Giants had any starting pitcher as wild as Ventura last year.

How many gold gloves has Posey won? How many Gold Gloves has Perez won? How about Wilson Defensive Player of the Year?

Alright, you guys know Posey does not perform as catcher for as many innings as Perez. However, he had the same amount of passed balls.

I do not assume all wild pitches are the fault of the catcher. I think that kind of assumption is ridiculous. I don't doubt they consider all facets of catching when choosing for GG and Wilson Defensive Player of the Year.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #101
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
My entire point was that each player brings their own skills to the table and The Show rates them in a different way than you do. Marte is a great left fielder, but over the past year there are other players that are right within his range of value. Over the past three years I agree that Marte has the edge in real life value, but not video game value in the eye of The Show. The Show doesn't value defense at LF as much as it does CF for instance. The devs stated they take some liberties with the ratings and even if they didn't the way The Show rates players by each position there will always be disputes. This happens every year so the ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Also I prefer fWAR, not sure on other's opinions.
Why should that be, The Show rating differently? if that's the case, how can there be any intelligent discussion about ratings?

They incorporated WAR into this game, but it's 'there' kind of WAR. Why not use real WAR?

Speaking about WAR, your Upton is below Marte three years in a row--and I gave you that information. My main concern is Upton because that great .250 hitter is rated an A potential while Marte is a B.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #102
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I believe attributes are based more upon stats than peripheral stuff which IRL impact a player but would be impossible to research and implement into the show.

Regarding Posey and Perez they had the same number of passed balls but Perez had 146 wild pitches to Posey's 76 - nearly double. The blocking attribute is about pitches in the dirt. Pitches in the dirt which get away from the catcher are not ruled to be passed balls. Pitches in the dirt which get away from the catcher are ruled to be wild pitches. Therefore I suspect the reason Perez has a lower blocking attribute than Posey is because he has nearly twice as many wild pitches.
How are you figuring that? Are you taking innings played at catcher into account? That double figure is pure nonsense.

No, the passed balls are not equal. You have to consider innings played at position and then count passed balls.

I already addressed wild pitches in my post above, just letting you know that innings should be factored into that equation of yours.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #103
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Why should that be, The Show rating differently? if that's the case, how can there be any intelligent discussion about ratings?

They incorporated WAR into this game, but it's 'there' kind of WAR. Why not use real WAR?

Speaking about WAR, your Upton is below Marte three years in a row--and I gave you that information. My main concern is Upton because that great .250 hitter is rated an A potential while Marte is a B.
I don't think there is a discussion to be had though regarding the OVR calculation as we cannot change how the game calculates the OVR rating. We can bicker about the individual ratings for skills like speed or blocking, but the OVR calculation isn't something we can change. That was my point, it is what it is and just because a player has a higher WAR, that does not mean his individual ratings will translate to the same OVR rating you'd expect. I'm not trying to argue that Upton > Marte, I'm saying that based on their statistical production (offense vs defense) it can be seen how The Show rates them differently based on their skills ratings (CON, POW, FLD, etc).

WAR =/= OVR Rating. It is just a general holistic evaluation of a player's statistical production. It shouldn't translate to the games OVR rating either as the in game OVR rating is based on the individual ratings like speed and contact.

The Show does not track many of the statistics that WAR uses in it's calculation so they have no choice other than fudge it a bit by using their own calculation.

Quote:
How are you figuring that? Are you taking innings played at catcher into account? That double figure is pure nonsense.

No, the passed balls are not equal. You have to consider innings played at position and then count passed balls.

I already addressed wild pitches in my post above, just letting you know that innings should be factored into that equation of yours.
His numbers aren't that far off. Posey played about 80% of Perez's innings. When adjusted for innings played, Posey still had significantly less wild pitches, which is what the blocking rating in game should be based on. Passed balls should have nothing to do with blocking.

Last edited by MrOldboy; 03-13-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #104
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
So you guys assume wild pitches are the fault of the catcher. Posey did not have to catch Ventura--and I do not think the Giants had any starting pitcher as wild as Ventura last year.

How many gold gloves has Posey won? How many Gold Gloves has Perez won? How about Wilson Defensive Player of the Year?

Alright, you guys know Posey does not perform as catcher for as many innings as Perez. However, he had the same amount of passed balls.

I do not assume all wild pitches are the fault of the catcher. I think that kind of assumption is ridiculous. I don't doubt they consider all facets of catching when choosing for GG and Wilson Defensive Player of the Year.
Why would passed balls affect the Blocking stat? Blocking should be a factor of how well the catcher BLOCKS balls in the dirt. If a ball hits the dirt and gets by the catchers, it's not a passed ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »