Home

MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #89
Rookie

coachprattico2's Arena

OVR: 0
I understand everyone's point on my frustration with Jacoby and Tanaka ratings. I get it, their numbers did not reflect the t ype of players they truly are. I am most confident Ellsbury has a good shot at winning come back player of the year. He is too talented and was simply playing through injury. As for Tanaka he looks as strong as ever this spring and I believe his surgery in October helped him a ton. I hope the game will update them through the season.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #90
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: MLB The Show 16 Player Ratings - Top Players at Each Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
If they start basing it on their opinion of what a guy would have done if this or that would or wouldn't have happened they would have massive complaints about being biased because the attributes wouldn't match reality.
I surmise from that you infer attributes reflect reality in this game. Okay, please explain to me why Salvador Perez has a blocking rating of 70 while Posey has 86? They have the same amount of passed balls from 2013 to 2014 and the attribute rating of 70 is in TS 15.

I am pretty sure Perez was still an 82 in the Catcher ratings. I suspect that 82 includes that 70 for blocking. I won't go into his reaction rating, but for a player who has won consecutive GG awards, three years in a row, I think he deserves better. Anyway, please do get back to me why his blocking rating is 70 while Posey has 86.

Thank you!
Old 03-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #91
Rookie

Balla Da Le Playa's Arena

Posey should have a higher block rating than Salvador. Posey was behind the plate far fewer time than Salvador. if wild pitch numbers factored in to block rating then Posey beats Salvador by a mile there too
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #92
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I surmise from that you infer attributes reflect reality in this game. Okay, please explain to me why Salvador Perez has a blocking rating of 70 while Posey has 86? They have the same amount of passed balls from 2013 to 2014 and the attribute rating of 70 is in TS 15.

I am pretty sure Perez was still an 82 in the Catcher ratings. I suspect that 82 includes that 70 for blocking. I won't go into his reaction rating, but for a player who has won consecutive GG awards, three years in a row, I think he deserves better. Anyway, please do get back to me why his blocking rating is 70 while Posey has 86.

Thank you!
I believe attributes are based more upon stats than peripheral stuff which IRL impact a player but would be impossible to research and implement into the show.

Regarding Posey and Perez they had the same number of passed balls but Perez had 146 wild pitches to Posey's 76 - nearly double. The blocking attribute is about pitches in the dirt. Pitches in the dirt which get away from the catcher are not ruled to be passed balls. Pitches in the dirt which get away from the catcher are ruled to be wild pitches. Therefore I suspect the reason Perez has a lower blocking attribute than Posey is because he has nearly twice as many wild pitches.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #93
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
That is an assumption on your part about defense. Batting average and stolen bases are likely also considered aside from defense--that is an assumption on my part.

Upton is rated higher with overall and potential. Meanwhile, The Shredder had Marte as best LF going into this season. Who am I to say The Shredder is wrong? I am in my house and The Shredder is on TV.
But the shredder didn't have Marte as the top LF in baseball. It had Michael Brantley as number 1 and Marte was number 2.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #94
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I wouldn't conclude that - durability isn't on the pie chart either but it is very important.

One thing I noticed, pitch type and velocity are now displayed again. It is good to see that back in the game.
Yes! Hard to understand why it was taken out last year, but thank you SCEA
for bringing it back this year.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #95
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgomets75
Throw in Cespedes, Betts and Blackmon too.

Betts is a RF...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #96
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

Quote:
I don't see the significance of Upton matching Marte in OBP. You want a player who hit 7 more HRs against a player who hit for higher average and stole more bases and won GG and Wilson defensive Player of the Year? If so, you can have him and I'll take Marte.

Marte is aggressive and will strike out but he does steal bases much better than Peralta, who also strikes out. I believe Kiermaier is an A this year based on his defense. Well, Marte won GG and Wilson defensive player of the year. Now I'm not saying Marte is as good defensively as Kiermaier, but Marte does hit better than him.

Now it's time for war, I mean WAR: Marte 5.3 and Peralta 3.7
My entire point was that each player brings their own skills to the table and The Show rates them in a different way than you do. Marte is a great left fielder, but over the past year there are other players that are right within his range of value. Over the past three years I agree that Marte has the edge in real life value, but not video game value in the eye of The Show. The Show doesn't value defense at LF as much as it does CF for instance. The devs stated they take some liberties with the ratings and even if they didn't the way The Show rates players by each position there will always be disputes. This happens every year so the ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Also I prefer fWAR, not sure on other's opinions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »