Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise Mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #201
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: In-depth career stat have finally arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan
That's not the problem though.

With QC, if the game gives me a 2-1 count to the opening batter of the game, my pitch count will read "4" after I throw that pitch. The pitch count doesn't just count the pitches that I actually throw, it accounts for the ones that are "simmed".

However, when the game is over the box score will show an inflated number as stated above. For example, if my pitch count is 110 (actual and simmed pitches included) the box score might say something like 144.
I don't remember the exact mechanics of pitch count in QC (since I rarely use it myself), but IIRC, displayed pitch counts are deliberately *deflated* to make the pitch count in the mode appear more in line with real-life baseball. (QC tends to push pitch count higher by forcing an at bat to start a couple pitches later in all cases.)

Perhaps the pitch count you see in the game is not getting the same treatment?

P.S., I found the description: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...67&postcount=6
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #202
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew127
I agree with many of the things mentioned in this thread about what we'd like to see in Franchise mode, and I've offered my own inputs on a few separate occasions regarding stat tracking.

In my opinion, the bottom line is this: To see a franchise mode that is truly as deep and robust as it could be, it will be a labor of love from a development team that is doing it with full creative freedom, and a passion for packing the mode as tight as possible and making it replicate real life as much as possible.

That's really how OOTP got started, it was just a guy building the game on his own out of a love for the nuances of baseball. Look what it's grown into. But even now, it's not a game that is targeted to a large audience with the expectation of generating significant amounts of revenue. Rather, it is targeted to a very niche audience.

For proof of this, just check out how many forum users are browsing the OOTP forum at any given time here on OS. It's usually less than 5. The audience that comes to OS isn't really the same audience that is into hardcore sims like OOTP.

Which brings me to my main point: SCEA is in the business of making money, and it was even mentioned in one of the streams this year that Diamond Dynasty and RTTS are the most heavily used modes. Given that the dev team is only 75 people, and they are making a game with the goal of moving as many units as possible, there are very limited resources and the resources that are available need to be heavily concentrated on the parts of the game that sell.

I'd love to see franchise mode in The Show (or any console baseball game, ever in history, for that matter) to get the attention it deserves. The reason it doesn't get it is simply because of the nature of the video game business.

When I save up a few million and retire in my 30's, and I get bored, maybe I'll start up a dev shop with the goal of making a console baseball game that is purely simulation, and leaving all the fluff out of it. I won't be in it for the money, it'll be a labor of love!

Not to say the SCEA guys aren't passionate about baseball, but they also don't have the creative freedom to do everything they might want to. The powers that be get the final say. It's pretty much how it always will be when it comes to console gaming, and it's the fatal flaw for hardcore sim fans like myself.
I think this is definitely true, to an extent. The reason OOTP isn't more popular isn't because its too deep and complex, its because you can't play the games. Most people don't play sports games in coach mode, they want to feel like they are effecting the outcome. They actually want to play the games. I've played OOTP in the past, but never could get into it. The game was unbelievably deep, but without the ability to actually play the games, it didn't interest me. Ideally, a baseball game would have best of both worlds. And if OOTP ever develped an actual game engine to play the games, I think the popularity of that game would skyrocket, and I also think you'd see a large segment of the Show's player base move on.

I do however agree that there is more money to be made in appealing to the general audience with RTTS and Diamond Dynasty. Franchise players are in the minority at this point, and they don't support the game monetarily with micro transactions like some other modes do. Add that to the fact that there is ZERO competition for the Show, and that baseball fans are going to buy the new game no matter what since their isn't another option, and you there is clearly little reason for the Show to invest in a major upgrade to Franchise mode. So I get that from a pure money making scheme, completely overhauling Franchise mode makes no sense. It would be refreshing if they would just come out and admit thats the case, rather than trying to market it as a refreshed mode every year.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #203
Rookie

OVR: 1

You know what I'd love to see regarding quick counts? A separate menu with options on which counts you'd like as possible options. Don't want any 3-2 counts? No problem, uncheck the box? Want 0-1 or 1-0 counts, check the boxes. I'd even like an 0-0 count every once in a while, maybe once or twice a game too. Just to mix it up
Old 03-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #204
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by movies2090
You know what I'd love to see regarding quick counts? A separate menu with options on which counts you'd like as possible options. Don't want any 3-2 counts? No problem, uncheck the box? Want 0-1 or 1-0 counts, check the boxes. I'd even like an 0-0 count every once in a while, maybe once or twice a game too. Just to mix it up
Not worth the development time to break them out like that and it would completely throw off the balancing that's done to make the QC game box scores like like normal ones.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #205
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8

Thought that might be the case. Quick counts, although not exactly how I'd like it to be (I wish all counts were an option and were determined statistically based on pitcher/batter ratings, not completely random chance), does speed up the game and lead to good stats. Definitely was a great addition by the Dev's two years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #206
dare i say...en fuego?

BravesBoy's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Not worth the development time to break them out like that and it would completely throw off the balancing that's done to make the QC game box scores like like normal ones.
Do you see quick counts ever being a choice for either side of the ball! As in having QC while you hit but not when you pitch and vice versa?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #207
ND

NDAlum's Arena

I want the schedules to rotate but it could be a "business decision" based on the overall want versus the time/energy/resources needed to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #208
ND

NDAlum's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA

Quick counts quite literally was the best addition ever to this game. It completely rejuvenated my interest in the title and keeps the game fresh by offering interesting at bat challenges both pitching and hitting.

Prior to QC's it is just too easy to pitch in the zone. I felt like I had to try and walk somebody. I see it posted all over OS that guys rarely walk people without using QC's. I am generalizing. Yes there are people who get realistic walk rates without QC's. You're the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »