Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise Mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #177
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Franchise Dev Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I want it to, but I wonder what the analytics are for how many people even make it to year 2...
Yeah that shouldn't matter. Especially with year to year saves. I dont find a franchise fun unless you get many years in anyway.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #178
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
If it was easy it would have been done already.

Software development works like this in my world, and probably similar in the game development world and with any other product:
1) Some manager gives a list of requirements to me, asks me to come up with an estimate to design, code, test, and deliver
2) I review and come back with an estimate the best I can based on what info I have
3) manager gives the estimate to the people paying for the whole thing
4) people paying for the whole thing scoff and claim "Wait, I don't see how this idea can cost that much to complete! It can't be that much effort, can it?"
5) I reply by saying "Ok, if you have the knowledge of the product and know of a better way, please enlighten me. What's that? You DON'T have the knowledge? And that is why you pay me a salary, because I DO have the knowledge? Good, then that's my estimate." (Ok, I say this to myself... what I actually do is show them a breakdown of the different pieces needed and cost associated so it is more obvious how much work is to be done for their money)
6) people paying for the whole thing reply by saying "Ok, let's proceed, but we are going to cut 30% off your timeline and budget anyway, and still expect you to deliver the exact same product we're asking for."

So unless we want MLB 17 The Show to cost 89.99 for the standard edition instead of 59.99, we can once again realize that the Sony San Diego team is half the size of some other sports games' dev teams, and they don't just randomly decide not to do easy stuff just cause they don't want to.

Sorry to go on a tangent. As a software developer, it just really grinds my gears when someone without knowledge of the product just assumes they know how said product works, even though in most cases they have absolutely no clue.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #179
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise Mode

I don't think anyone was saying it was easy to do. Just that it's important to them that it gets in, and it's disappointing that it's not in.

Watch me play video games
Old 03-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #180
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
I can't help but be frustrated after that video, because afterall, franchise has changed in small increments, and every year it seems like "next year will be the year for franchise mode improvements". This stuff IS improvement, don't get me wrong. But its hardly anything that is going to be a game changer, at least for me. I could care less what David Ortiz's OPS in 1998 was. I just don't care. I know that hardcore stat folks have been clamoring for this level of detail, and I am thrilled for them that they were listened to and they go it. But it does little to impact the feel of a Franchise mode that is going stale, at least for me. Hopefully scouting and training are better, GM mode goals are better than "win the WS in the next two years or your fired", and the morale system is something that actually impacts the game (storylines mentioned in the radio show based on upset players?) rather than something like some tiny drop in rating by -1 or +1 based on the morale of the player.

This is the third game on PS4. We're almost 1/2 way through the consoles life cycle before the next consoles launch. What we have right now is an improved PS3 experience when it comes to Franchise mode. The gameplay and graphics have taken a HUGE leap when it comes to the PS4, but Franchise mode just seems to be an afterthought. I would love to see a true next generation experience, akin to OOTP but where you can play the games. I know we're not going to get that in one year, I'm realistic. But I guess I'm just hoping of big changes to Franchise every year only to see small ones that don't really resonate much with me.

I totally agree with you though, about rushing to judgement before all the details are released. I'll reserve judgement until Thursday. I'm assuming there's more, because, like you said, how will they fill an hour long stream just by showing stats and the new FA and morale mechanic. There's gotta be more!

I have to agree. SCEA does at job they really do. One of the problems is the Diamond Dynasty/Ultimate team modes in sports games. They have taken the center stage by a far margin. That's what most dev teams improve year to year. Biggest changes in MLB14-15 was DD. MLB 15-16 was DD.

There is nothing WRONG with that. It generates money for the company. That simple. Franchise mode and RTTS does not make them money after the game is bought really. Again every sports franchise has it now, I'm not bashing them for it.

BUT, as excited as I am with all the new features I cant shake the feeling we should be further then this. Yes a few years ago they took out the Owner mode aspect of it, even if it was only minimal then. And slowly have added features. But none of these features they've added the last two years I would consider "revolutionary" or a revamp. Every sports game has a confidence/morale feature. Now we get it in baseball. Every sports game has career stats, now MLB has it.

Overall, this is FRANCHISE mode. I want to RUN a franchise. To tickets, promotions, players, international signings, managers, stadium renovations, relocation. EVERYTHING an owner has to deal with. And up front I'm not expecting a build-a-stadium feature, that I know would take an insane amount of time to get right. But it feels like for how long I've been with the franchise (MLB 09) that franchise still hasn't had that revamp we all want and desire. If you don't want all the stuff stated above then there is SEASON mode. This is franchise and I want to be involved of every aspect of it.

Again, I am deeply looking forward to this game especially if all the new features make it online. But its just my .2 cents.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #181
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I don't think anyone was saying it was easy to do. Just that it's important to them that it gets in, and it's disappointing that it's not in.
It's a trade-off I suppose. They could spend the hours and dollars working on rotating inter-league schedules instead of 'feature X' or 'improvement Y'. And depending on who you are, that feature or improvement that would have to be sacrificed could be a deal-breaker. We don't know, we are not a part of the dev team's planning. But as Ramone implied, if it was a quick fix that they could do without sacrificing something else, they would have done it by now.

Last edited by HypoLuxa13; 03-02-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #182
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyduster
At least the schedule isn't game by game identical for offline Franchise each season. Online Franchise has the same exact game by game schedule no matter how many seasons you play.

Hopefully the schedules will get mixed up going from Online season to season this year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
lol and hopefully not opening day every game
Old 03-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #183
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
If it was easy it would have been done already.
custom schedules?
Old 03-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #184
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I dont remember saying it was easy???? Just perplexed as to why rotating interleague schedules or at least a new interleague schedule continues to get overlooked? Franchise meaning multiple years so schedule should rotate?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »