Home

Madden Should Bring Back Its PS2 Era Substitution System

This is a discussion on Madden Should Bring Back Its PS2 Era Substitution System within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden Should Bring Back Its PS2 Era Substitution System

I'd rather they scrap the depth chart and do personnel packages, but absent that then yes absolutely they should bring back formation substitutions.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 1
I remember this function from a long time ago...as someone mentioned above. I used to analyze my plaers and put them in formations were they would best benefit my team. Subbing my Beefy TE in for run formations and finesse TE for pass formations. I thought maybe I just forgot how to do it

Yeah this was a great tool in the past and surprises me this fell out.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by snc237
That was the golden age off virtual football. Yes 2k got shot down but it wasn't a horrible thing cause madden was amzing back then..... Until the horrible 360 maddens came. Even to this day madden isn't what it use to be compared to the Xbox/ps2/GC days. I wish they would of ported that version to the 360 and built off that cause the game still struggles in so many areas.
If madden 16 came packaged with the ps2 game as a bonus, I'd be in line at midnight for it. That would get me more excited than any addition to the current game as sad as that sounds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I can dream.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

OVR: 0

I'd just like an explanation for why wanted and needed features cannot be implemented in the game.

I'm going to compare apples and oranges here, but devs like bungie at least tell the community WHY a feature will not be implemented. If it is not in their vision, fine, just let the community know we've been heard.

There might be a very very very good reason why the substitution system hasn't been improved, but if developers don't express the reason the community will continue to yell "They don't care about the community" "They just want the money"
Old 06-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Not to take things off topic, but speaking of incredibly useful features from the PS2 era, does anyone else remember the on the fly audible system?

Basically, in the play selection screen, if you held down R1 and pressed the corresponding icon, that play was now one of your formation audibles. I used to set 2-3 new formation audibles before calling a play. Then, once I got up to the line of scrimmage, I could read the defense and either run the play I called, or check to one of the formation audibles that I had just set up. I used it a lot in NCAA when trying to mimic the college no-huddle system. A lot of those offenses were based on the idea of lining up quickly, taking a look at how the defense was set, and then getting the final play call in from the sideline.

It was great because maybe I didn't always want a WR screen as an audible, but if it was 3rd and 1, it was great to quickly set a WR screen as a formation audible and then call a dive up the middle. Once I got to the line, if the defense was stacked to stop the run and the corner was playing off at all, I could check out to the screen and flip it out to my WR for a conversion (hopefully). I tended to play with average-good teams, but not great or overpowering ones, so I had to be creative sometimes.

To get back on topic though, Madden and NCAA had substitutions right on the PS2. I don't know if the change was made to cut down on people putting WRs at TE, their fastest player at QB, and all kinds of other crazy substitutions simply because of the amount of time it takes to do all that (especially while the playclock is winding down). Other than that, I really can't figure out any reason they would have changed it from the PS2 setup.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

I think we're pretty much past the point of just basic formation subs. This would still be a good edition compared to what we have now but outside of special teams it really wouldn't do much for me and I'd still want more. I'd rather see the ability to create custom package sets for each formation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #16
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
There might be a very very very good reason why the substitution system hasn't been improved, but if developers don't express the reason the community will continue to yell "They don't care about the community" "They just want the money"
I think it's already been stated on a few occasions that it's not a big enough gripe to incite change but most people won't and don't look at that as an acceptable answer. A lot of people don't care about formation subs and if they view those people as the majority, which they probably are, then there's not a whole lot of reason to change it for them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »