Home

Madden Should Bring Back Its PS2 Era Substitution System

This is a discussion on Madden Should Bring Back Its PS2 Era Substitution System within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #25
Rookie

The Gunslinger's Arena

OVR: 9
Just another popular feature that for whatever reason has not been brought back. I stopped playing Madden at Madden 25, so I apologize if anything I've placed on this list has been put in Madden 15. Here's some other features that have yet to be brought back from the ps2 era:

-Assistant coaches: remember you could have a OC, DC, and ST coach? The feature even included real life assistants. This feature never made it over to the 360/PS4 versions probably bc of NFL Head Coach being released. But since a new version of Head Coach hasn't been produced in 6 years, why hasn't this feature ever returned? Why am I forced to choose from a pool of generic head coaches in the offeseason instead of being able to choose from real life assistant coaches or the ability to change the name of the generic head coaches?

-Create a stadium

-Create a team

-Create a play

- Editing Rosters in Franchise mode

-CPU v. CPU mode

-Cheerleaders

-Player profiles showing the previous teams that the player has competed on

-In the offseason, tags indicating which players had made the "Pro Bowl"

-Dynamic crowd attendance

-Tony Bruno radio show

-Fan/Mascot cutscenes

-Senior Bowl
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #26
Just started!

kyle2525111's Arena

OVR: 0
I always loved formation subs especially for a wildcat or pistol formation. It was even in ncaa football 14. No clue why they took it out.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #27
Rookie

Mr.Papercut's Arena

Re: Madden Should Bring Back Its PS2 Era Substitution System

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger
Just another popular feature that for whatever reason has not been brought back. I stopped playing Madden at Madden 25, so I apologize if anything I've placed on this list has been put in Madden 15. Here's some other features that have yet to be brought back from the ps2 era:

-Assistant coaches: remember you could have a OC, DC, and ST coach? The feature even included real life assistants. This feature never made it over to the 360/PS4 versions probably bc of NFL Head Coach being released. But since a new version of Head Coach hasn't been produced in 6 years, why hasn't this feature ever returned? Why am I forced to choose from a pool of generic head coaches in the offeseason instead of being able to choose from real life assistant coaches or the ability to change the name of the generic head coaches?

-Create a stadium

-Create a team

-Create a play

- Editing Rosters in Franchise mode

-CPU v. CPU mode

-Cheerleaders

-Player profiles showing the previous teams that the player has competed on

-In the offseason, tags indicating which players had made the "Pro Bowl"

-Dynamic crowd attendance

-Tony Bruno radio show

-Fan/Mascot cutscenes

-Senior Bowl
Create a stadium was until Madden 12, assistant coaches were until Madden 12, CPU vs CPU was until Madden 12, tags indicating PB players was until Madden 12, Player profiles showing their former teams was until Madden 12, Editing rosters was until Madden 12... See where I'm going?

Ever since they introduced this Connected Careers crap in Madden 13 have things really gone back. I remember building a stadium for my LA Rhinos relocation team, appointing Brian Schottenheimer as my coach and appointing Rex Ryan as my DC after he was fired by the Jets in my franchise. Madden 12 had basically all of those franchise things we sim-gamers crave about, but for some unknown reason EA decided to go forward with Connected Career/Franchise-thingy which still to this day isn't anywhere close to Madden 12's Franchise mode, which had basically everything to make it deep and most important of all, enjoyable. I've always wanted to travel to E3 or somewhere like that and ask directly what the hell are they thinking at Tiburon.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #28
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Papercut
Create a stadium was until Madden 12, assistant coaches were until Madden 12
I'd like to call out these two things, because it's my opinion that they weren't strong features to begin with as they were previously implemented and I don't miss them.

The implementations of coaches in previous versions of Madden was a bad afterthought leftover from a shallow game design mechanic initially created in Madden NFL 2004. Coaches statically affected attributes of certain position groups, never evolved over time, didn't affect player progression, didn't have any sort of personality, or really weren't special at all. They were the equivalent of a Madden card. It was really incredibly weak game design, especially compared to how, say, NCAA Football 14 handled offensive and defensive coordinators. There was no compelling reason to not just hire the coaches who gave the best attribute bonuses and then never worry about coaching staff ever again.

Create a stadium also wasn't very good IMO. I can't remember creating a stadium in Madden which didn't look entirely generic. The number of pieces available was too few to make the stadium truly look like my stadium, and EA never really fleshed out the feature after its initial addition in (I think?) Madden NFL 08 on the then-next-generation consoles.

My point here - on these two things specifically, was the way it was so good that it is actually sorely missed? Keeping things in the game just for the sake of it can sometimes prevent a game from moving forward.

(Understandably, the mechanic leaving the game ought to be replaced by something better, and in the case of assistant coaches specifically, that's where Madden has erred, as they aren't back in the game yet; at the very least with Owner mode there are a number of unique stadium choices available).
Old 06-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #29
Rookie

NoFlyZoneAzCards's Arena

Definitely would like to see some of the old features from previous maddens in all upcoming madden games 1. I would love to see the college players as character faces instead of seeing a player that is already on a team in the game just ruins the whole draft for me seeing two to three faces exactly the same on one team just ridiculous 2. like to have the old progression from older maddens 3. Defensive assignments 4. Instead of picking your skill level to play at witch just gets stupid sometimes do the old my skill level where it adjusted to your skill level so im not throwing 7 INT a game 5. Crowd realislm
Old 06-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #30
Rookie

Mr.Papercut's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I'd like to call out these two things, because it's my opinion that they weren't strong features to begin with as they were previously implemented and I don't miss them.
Sure they sucked for the most part, but they were still in the game. I admit, I didn't understand how former players as coaches would have such a great effect on the team's attributes. For example I had Michael Turner as my OC when he retired and he had +5 on BCV, elusiveness, juke move etc. My point is, wouldn't you rather have them now in the game in the same state they were in Madden 12? Sure the attribute boosts etc. sucked and were somewhat unreal but it's the same thing with the confidence they introduced, just maybe more permanent. Stadium builder was rather lifeless, but they should've just build on it rather than abandon it completely along with the real staff. The connected career mode they replaced franchise mode with was incredibly and horribly bare in sense of the features. And it still is, you can't watch a CPU vs CPU match, have real staff or build a stadium.

The problem with all this is that they could've built easily on what they already had, but they ditched them altogether. Custom stadiums are in there sure, but it's getting boring already. If you wanted to have a realistic CFM stadium wise, you would have to relocate 3 teams just in the beginning of the save, and the options are very limited. I don't want Chargers playing in the dome or in an alienship-like stadium, nor do I wan't teams over time having similar stadiums. Again, they could've built on what they had but they decided to take several steps back.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #31
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Papercut
My point is, wouldn't you rather have them now in the game in the same state they were in Madden 12?
Personally, I would not go back to the state franchise mode was in in Madden NFL 12 because that would also require going back to the state that online franchise was in for Madden NFL 12, which was just awful (it didn't even have a proper unrestricted free agency period).

I value the online franchise experience in Madden NFL way too much now, even if it is missing some of the bells and whistles from the past.

Reasonable minds can beg to differ, but that's my stance on the matter.

Last edited by Hooe; 06-05-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #32
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

We always hear the Madden team from about Madden 12 on say that this or that wasn't added because not enough people wanted it or ask for it.

I say that's bull. Who said they wanted a MUT style depth chart? I haven't once read anyone saying that a new depth chart was on their wish list.

For that matter I haven't seen one guy in any forum saying they wanted EA trax back.

Did anyone ask for a new tackle mechanic or pass rush mechanic? Nope. But, we got it anyway.

The reason EA hasn't added formation subs is simple. They don't care about it. They don't think it will be a good thing to put on the back of the box. I know it has been mentioned numerous times on this site and by game changers.

They know we want it. There is no confusion about it.

I'm tired of the rhetoric of being told, we are more concerned with gameplay than formation subs. Oh really, then how did you find the time to change the depth chart? Something no one ask for.

Just tell us the truth. You don't care about formation subs. lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »