Home

MLB 15 The Show OS Community Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show OS Community Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #409
Rookie

elfdutch's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show OS Community Impressions

still loving this game.
Currently playing a seaon as the Tigers.
I'm playing rookie offense (i am a very very bad hitter) and veteran defense.
Did some small slider adjustments.

I have games that i win easily, and ones where i got destroyed simply because i put the ball too much over the middle of the plate.
Then yesterday a 1-0 win against the Yankees.
So, seeing a lot of variety in scores sofar. One patter i think i see is the cpu taking a lead early in the game, but it could be just me still settling in.

Not hitting too many homers, certainly not very unrealistic ones.
Still struggling on offspeed stuff but that's also very realistic.

Simply can't get enough of this game.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #410
Pro

ajblithe20's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Nothing really positive to say beyond this. The series feels very stale. Pitchers still pound the strike zone too much, and are still too good at throwing a strike when they need one. I've been bringing this up as an issue for a while now, past couple of years at least, and for whatever reason nothing gets done about it. CPU Pitchers never really labor, and they never seem to get in jams and struggle, all because the AI is too good at throwing pitches inside the zone when they need a strike.

Tried playing a franchise for the first time in a few years, and the mode is just as bad as I remember. Managing your team as GM is still a convoluted mess. The mode is no fun at all. You have to back in and out of menus for even the simplest things. You never really get the sense that you are part of a league, because everything is detached. To get a grip on the state of your team you have to search through a number of different places. To get a grip on where your team fits into the league you have to search through even more.

They desperately need to do something about franchise. Burn it down, start from scratch, incorporate modern baseball ideas, make organizational depth charts matter down to every last detail like LH relievers and RH power and OBP and so on and so forth, make organizational strengths and weaknesses matter so you know how to draft and what to try and trade for, give the other GMs some sense of life so it feels like there is some interaction...

Yes, it needs a serious revamp.

Here we go with the "start from scratch" talk on certain aspects of the game. Franchise mode is a ton of fun for me. Maybe it's because I know where everything is and I can flip through all the menus with ease, so it doesn't seem at all like a hassle. Either way, burning it down is probably the worst thing they could do to a good game mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #411
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

I've been playing this game long enough to understand why people sometimes claim "comeback code".

But, my experience does not validate it. I've given up leads that were simply my fault for trying to push a pitcher to far. I've given up leads even when using the right guys out of the pen but it never felt cheap.

Conversely, I've held more leads than I've lost. And, I've mounted some comebacks myself.

Everyone's experience will be different but mine has been near perfect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #412
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

So I've played upwards of 20 games now, and I feel comfortable talking about the things I like and don't like in the game.

Things I don't like....
-CPU still doesn't miss when the hit and run is called, they may not put it in play, but they will foul it off. Like I said this come from observations of over 180 innings.
-Too many of my batted balls don't get past the pitchers mound...the number of these are to high in relation to batted balls IMO.
-CPU pitchers get away with too many belt high pitches down the heart of the plate. Not that I don't swing, but I do and I get "good" timing but the balls are hit foul. Relative to when I do that and the ball is hit hard.
-I feel like the user is at a disadvantage on the corners on hard hit balls. Manny Machado seems to get to few of those than he should again IMO, but none the less that is the impression I am left with.
-Why doesn't the CPU shift on defense? NEVER in any game I play does the defense shift for Chris Davis, like they do when I am playing against the CPU.

Things I like....
-Fielding overall has a more organic feel to it. Defenders get to and conversely don't get too is great. I feel like I get "robbed" a lot less on balls to the gap.
-The change to the pitchers releasing the ball has greatly improved the overall batting experince for the user
-Visually this is the best I've seen for a "Next-Gen" sports title. Granted I didn't get any of the Bball games for the 15 season and only borrowed a copy of NHL. But this game looks great.
-Along with that the addition of licensed apparel does more than you would think. Adds to the immersion factor. I've spent more time editing players that I am comfortable admitting, but it is damn fun and makes a noticeable difference.

Bugs I've seen....

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 04-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #413
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

In regards to CPU defensive shifts.

I see them. Anytime I hit with Brian McCann with no one on they over shift the right side.....every time. I have seen them in bunt defense too. I think you will see it with obvious dead pull hitters.
NHL25 - Panthers YR1 (2-1)
MLB 20 The Show - Classic Rosters and Yankees YR8
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 04-10-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #414
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajblithe20
Here we go with the "start from scratch" talk on certain aspects of the game. Franchise mode is a ton of fun for me. Maybe it's because I know where everything is and I can flip through all the menus with ease, so it doesn't seem at all like a hassle. Either way, burning it down is probably the worst thing they could do to a good game mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much. Also the comment that the pitchers pound the strike zone ..I don't see at all.
With the right settings you'll get really nice pitch stats. I've been able to get more walks this year that any year before and I've given up more walks than I care to admit lol.
Franchise mode for me has been awesome for me and pretty easy setup menu wise.

Rob they are switching vs me. Tex and McCann always have the shift on vs them...

EDIT: Do want to add about 3B. Thought maybe my 3B just needed improved. Seeing Machado is the same then yeah a few get by that I thought should have been caught/fielded.
Maybe a tweak is needed there by a patch ??

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 04-10-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #415
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

I've had the 1b not covering a couple times. Made a nice diving stab get up and throw. ....1b watching :-)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #416
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
So I've played upwards of 20 games now, and I feel comfortable talking about the things I like and don't like in the game.

Things I don't like....
-CPU still doesn't miss when the hit and run is called, they may not put it in play, but they will foul it off. Like I said this come from observations of over 180 innings.
-Too many of my batted balls don't get past the pitchers mound...the number of these are to high in relation to batted balls IMO.
-CPU pitchers get away with too many belt high pitches down the heart of the plate. Not that I don't swing, but I do and I get "good" timing but the balls are hit foul. Relative to when I do that and the ball is hit hard.
-I feel like the user is at a disadvantage on the corners on hard hit balls. Manny Machado seems to get to few of those than he should again IMO, but none the less that is the impression I am left with.
-Why doesn't the CPU shift on defense? NEVER in any game I play does the defense shift for Chris Davis, like they do when I am playing against the CPU.

Things I like....
-Fielding overall has a more organic feel to it. Defenders get to and conversely don't get too is great. I feel like I get "robbed" a lot less on balls to the gap.
-The change to the pitchers releasing the ball has greatly improved the overall batting experince for the user
-Visually this is the best I've seen for a "Next-Gen" sports title. Granted I didn't get any of the Bball games for the 15 season and only borrowed a copy of NHL. But this game looks great.
-Along with that the addition of licensed apparel does more than you would think. Adds to the immersion factor. I've spent more time editing players that I am comfortable admitting, but it is damn fun and makes a noticeable difference.

Bugs I've seen....

I feel you on the hit and runs...I played the D'Bags last night as the Dodgers and they executed 5 successful hit and runs against me. I know I was around the zone a lot but, this still seemed high and felt almost "unstoppable". I did try to get them to swing at balls out of the zone, but no luck...totally helpless.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »