Home

MLB 15 The Show OS Community Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show OS Community Impressions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #305
#1 conrhusker fan

huskerfan4life's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: MLB 15 The Show OS Community Impressions

i havee been playing RTTS and i must say i love the game and love allof the improvements espically the dunamic lighting, right now i'm in AA and istarted a games at 5:05 pm anf it was neat how the lighting chsnged to nightime and how the shadows were different.

Follow Me On Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/bigbadjz
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #306
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Just got the #PitchersWhoRake trophy with Stephen Strasburg. Felt good to get that one out of the way lol.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #307
Banned

OVR: 27

I have no idea why fireworks were put back in the game for home runs at Citizens Bank Park. The Phillies have never had fireworks after home runs. It had been out of the game the past 2-3 years and it surfaces again.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #308
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealyMonster
Anyone who has played this game in the past or present, should relatively have the same impressions of gameplay. The gameplay is great, its been that way for years, and some tweaks here or there every year make the gameplay better year to year.

I hate to say it though, I'm a graphics homer, and presentation homer, and this game is several lacking. It is well behind the typical PS4 title graphically, and it is the least attractive looking game of the major sports titles released. Im not saying its an ugly game, or even saying it looks like a ps3 game, it just is nowhere near where it should and could be on the ps4, especially considering it is year 2.

There is a definite issue with whoever is in charge of the graphics. They have been using the same graphics for 7 years now. An example is here:

Same wall textures, same background textures that were used last gen. They upped the resolution, but these stadiums while some look better than others are all insufficient for the ps4. The environments are not updated for next gen, they are the ps3 environments at a higher resolution, which, in my opinion, only shows their flaws more.

In the pic above, you see the wall texture repeating, with the dirt on it. You see the tree branches on the palm not looking...well...right, its all sloppy. on ps2/ early ps3 we wouldn't even see this, but now on ps4, it just looks like garbage.

Im not trying to totally destroy them. For instance when I look at Citi Field in the game. From the standpoint of looking at the stadium as a whole, compared to a real life image of the stadium, to sit back and point out flaws (which I just did FWIW), to REALLY have issue with that is nitpicking. The issue is, when you look at the stadium as a whole, with the close ups, the textures all look awful.

Another example when I say stuff worked on the ps2 or 3 but cannot work now are images like this:

When playing the game, you obviously aren't going to sit and watch each screen and point out flaws like some that are in the above image. Example, the steps behind harvey. They are huge, the are not proportionate to the stadium. It isn't the angle of the pic either, steps in the stadium that fans aren't walking on, all look huge like this. On ps2, we couldn't care less, but when you are looking at Matt Harvey with sweat on his hat (like in the pic), immersion is lost when you see these ugly steps all over the stadium. Whats the point? Also, who cares how much the guy weighs. Certainly this info would be ok if issued behind or in front of other more relative stuff like stats, record vs the team you are playing, etc. Instead we get his height and weight in boring font that looks like they attached a word document to one of their graphics.

On the presentation side, we are yet again watching the same stuff. Some stuff is improved for the better: Off the top of my head I like the hubs for RTTS and Franchise, and post game for RTTS, etc. But outside of some various menu type changes, everything else is the same. Finish a RTTS game, you see the same loading screens, same basic font, like Helvetica used showing standing,etc. Same small team logos that are boxed in.

On ps2, that stuff worked, but with where we are at in the world today, I mean we are all using iPhones, where they are so graphically driven to captivate people, when I turn on this game, and I see how it delivers information to me while I'm playing, I am completely disappointed. It is 2015, its time to make stuff look new and fresh, and good.

Post game baseball card guy, post game people raking the stadium, post game guy with camera comes out, every person that guy interviews is always walking the same way making the same movements, its all the same. Some of this stuff we were seeing as far back as the ps2.

Even looking back to the screen I posted of the ugly spring training field, look at the new york and washington scores. I can make that in Microsoft paint. It is unacceptable for this game to be doing such basic things this far into development considering things like the stadiums are ports.

Again, gameplay is on point, it always is, but at the same time, I haven't found much in this game that is overwhelming compared to my experience with the show 14. Certainly there is a bunch of stuff improved, but after a week of playing, I'm no longer thinking about those things, I am thinking about how ugly some things in this game are, and how I wish there was better presentation.
This is an interesting analysis. Though I think the game looks pretty, especially the lighting, I appreciate you backing up your argument with photos and examples.

And thank you for mentioning the sweat-stains on the hats. I really wish they would just get rid of it.

ETA: The stadiums were built from scratch for the PS4.

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 04-03-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #309
#1 conrhusker fan

huskerfan4life's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Guys who played 14 did you get your gold rewards when you installed 15?
I still haven't gotten mine

Follow Me On Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/bigbadjz
Old 04-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #310
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hey everyone. My and my friends are strictly online franchise players. I was disappointed to see that not all the features on offline franchise were available in online franchise mode last year (Triple A teams,etc) I'm wondering if this has been added this year to give you the smell online experience as offline franchise mode? Thank you very much for the help.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:18 PM   #311
Rookie

Is it just me or are year to year saves the greatest thing to hit franchise modes in a long time? I haven't missed a beat in my Bucco franchise and all my players and their equipment were edited for me. I don't have to spend the first month of the season waiting for rosters or self editing players. I'll make a few changes and maybe edit a recent draft pick but this is the best. I have never been more thankful for a new addition to a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #312
Rookie

I wish the Astros 90s blue and gold unis were in the game. Or that I had enough artistic ability to make them in diamond dynasty!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »