Home

NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #105
Rookie

JRxPHANTOM's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgotSyphillis
Lowering the sliders does not fix the problem for offline players. It masks the problem. Pre-patch I shot 32% from 3 point range. Post patch I shoot 50%. This has nothing to do with being open because they stated they did not change anything with 3 point shooting. This is all about green releases. Lowering the shooting sliders just makes you miss basically all of the shots you take where you don't hit a green release. Pre-patch I would hit maybe 1 or 2 green releases from 3 out of about 20 shots. So if I shot 7 of 20 from 3, and 2 of those were green releases, that meant I hit 5 of 18 non green release shots. Which might be a tad bit low, but I'm the Kings and they don't have the best 3 point shooters.

So now I lower the sliders like people said too. I take 20 3s. I hit 8 green releases. But because the sliders are low, out of the other 12 shots I take, only 1 of them goes in. So I end up shooting 9 for 20 from 3. And people look at the % and think the sliders fixed the issue. They didn't. They took away rating completely. Now it's just a game of can I hit a green release. Which in my opinion, is terrible. I hate the idea of all green releases going in. But it wasn't that bad when green releases were so hard to attain. The easily attainable green release ruins the game for me. There's a reason this patch hasn't been released for the Xbox. Cause the people at 2k know it ruined the game. That's the issue. Hope this made sense.
This explains the whole issue with the patch. Whatever 2K did, they made the green releases much easier and very common with patch 4. It ruined the game, and now all we can do is wait and see if 2K fixes this issue with a patch 5 and revert back to a patch 3 or similar version of shooting.

Still, I'm shocked that 2K devs didn't see this coming. I noticed it the VERY first game I played and knew something wasn't right with the green releases.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #106
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose57
But lowering shooting sliders WILL make the it harder to reach the green light isn't it? I think I am way off the track...then may I ask, what could be done by US not 2K now, to make it harder for US to reach green light while shooting the ball???
No, it doesn't. The only way to make the green shot easier or harder to get is with difficulty level. You can have every shooting slider on 0 and still get green release, BUT you'll miss the shot because it'll be an F quality shot regardless.

On Rookie the timing window for a green release is huge (even though the meter looks the same) - on HOF it's very small. If you've mastered the timing on HOF there probably isn't much you can do. Fortunately for me I haven't even gotten to that point on All-Star (yep, I'm pretty bad at this game )

Last edited by bcruise; 03-27-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:15 AM   #107
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
No, it doesn't. The only way to make the green shot easier or harder to get is with difficulty level. You can have every shooting slider on 0 and still get green release, BUT you'll miss the shot because it'll be an F quality shot regardless.

On Rookie the timing window for a green release is huge (even though the meter looks the same) - on HOF it's very small. If you've mastered the timing on HOF there probably isn't much you can do.
Ok thank you for your answer, so what if I have all shooting sliders at 0, and I get a perfect green release, I will still miss right? SO at the end of the day, I can fix it all myself, so may I ask, will a player’s shooting ability affect the green light area, it should right, like using Kyle Korver out at the 3pt line should have HUGE green light area while using Chuck Hayes in the same area won’t be the same?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:18 AM   #108
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxPHANTOM
This explains the whole issue with the patch. Whatever 2K did, they made the green releases much easier and very common with patch 4. It ruined the game, and now all we can do is wait and see if 2K fixes this issue with a patch 5 and revert back to a patch 3 or similar version of shooting.

Still, I'm shocked that 2K devs didn't see this coming. I noticed it the VERY first game I played and knew something wasn't right with the green releases.
Yes it is a game of hitting green releases BUT the area of green releases is based on the difficulty of the gameplay you chose (rookie vs. HOF) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY IS the players' shooting rating themselves right? I can be absolutely wrong and please correct me if I am! Thanks!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:21 AM   #109
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose57
Ok thank you for your answer, so what if I have all shooting sliders at 0, and I get a perfect green release, I will still miss right? SO at the end of the day, I can fix it all myself, so may I ask, will a player’s shooting ability affect the green light area, it should right, like using Kyle Korver out at the 3pt line should have HUGE green light area while using Chuck Hayes in the same area won’t be the same?
I thought it would be like this, but it doesn't really seem to be the case. I posted in the patch thread about the 0 slider green release bricks, but unfortunately when I bumped the slider up even one point the A+'s and swishes started coming. So there's some pretty weird behavior with the meter and the sliders going on, and just playing with the shooting sliders really low is going to result in only green shots going in, and everything else missing.

If you're a meter god it's ultimately going to be like the other guy was saying - becomes a game of whether or not you can hit a perfect release, rather than ratings.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:23 AM   #110
MVP

Guys, I now remembered that back a few months ago when I was just trying out the game, I was looking at the green release area for Derozan, he had mid-range shooting ability higher than 3pters so his green release area are a lot bigger for the mid-range area vs out on the 3pt line, so now the patch just make those green area even higher when he is in his “hot zone” area which I see the problem is we are all complaining the area has gotten TOO BIG!!! However, by lowering the USER and CPU sliders, they will affect the shooting sliders of Derozan, yes the green release area won’t change in size, but by changing the sliders, his shooting abilities got lower which means even if we get a green release, it doesn’t mean he will score, plus there is defense involved as well right, if the CPU plays good D on you, then his chance will also go lower for shooting…I am just looking for any way to solve the problem without expecting something that might not even happen – patch 5…
Old 03-27-2015, 12:24 AM   #111
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I thought it would be like this, but it doesn't really seem to be the case. I posted in the patch thread about the 0 slider green release bricks, but unfortunately when I bumped the slider up even one point the A+'s and swishes started coming. So there's some pretty weird behavior with the meter and the sliders going on, and just playing with the shooting sliders really low is going to result in only green shots going in, and everything else missing.

If you're a meter god it's ultimately going to be like the other guy was saying - becomes a game of whether or not you can hit a perfect release, rather than ratings.
Sorry, what is the meter thing you are talking about? (I haven't played for months so I need some reminders! )
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2015, 12:38 AM   #112
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Anyone drop a video of the high amount of green releases yet? I remember there were plenty about the 'broken releases'...

If guys are really hitting at a 9/10 clip I think getting a video out there may push 2k to put out a hotfix

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »