Home

NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #97
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I know one thing... 2k regrets the day they put in the whole green visual system at the bottom of players. This thing has caused more problems and threads than I've ever seen.

I still use the visual of the wrist for timing all my shots. And I've been really happy with the results. I think the way it was before was better (before the post).

that's how I do it too shooting. We will probably see 2k change it next yr with all the complaints, then you will probably have some complain cause they changed shooting again,lol.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #98
Rookie

OVR: 4
Lowering the sliders does not fix the problem for offline players. It masks the problem. Pre-patch I shot 32% from 3 point range. Post patch I shoot 50%. This has nothing to do with being open because they stated they did not change anything with 3 point shooting. This is all about green releases. Lowering the shooting sliders just makes you miss basically all of the shots you take where you don't hit a green release. Pre-patch I would hit maybe 1 or 2 green releases from 3 out of about 20 shots. So if I shot 7 of 20 from 3, and 2 of those were green releases, that meant I hit 5 of 18 non green release shots. Which might be a tad bit low, but I'm the Kings and they don't have the best 3 point shooters.

So now I lower the sliders like people said too. I take 20 3s. I hit 8 green releases. But because the sliders are low, out of the other 12 shots I take, only 1 of them goes in. So I end up shooting 9 for 20 from 3. And people look at the % and think the sliders fixed the issue. They didn't. They took away rating completely. Now it's just a game of can I hit a green release. Which in my opinion, is terrible. I hate the idea of all green releases going in. But it wasn't that bad when green releases were so hard to attain. The easily attainable green release ruins the game for me. There's a reason this patch hasn't been released for the Xbox. Cause the people at 2k know it ruined the game. That's the issue. Hope this made sense.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #99
Rookie

ItsJustaGame's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
If you play in the rec, do people use a my player and get to choose the release they want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uhh, yeah.

I can't tell if this is a serious question or not, but it really doesn't matter because most people use real-player shooting forms, not to mention the latest patch fixed all the releases that weren't able to achieve a perfect release. And really, all that is beside the point, it doesn't even matter what shot you're using, all that matters is what I've said before. If you don't buy that, then you'll be sorely mistaken time and time again after watching some nobody drop 60 points and not step inside the 3-point line.
Coffee_RoCK
The Next Level
PS4
Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #100
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustaGame
Uhh, yeah.

I can't tell if this is a serious question or not, but it really doesn't matter because most people use real-player shooting forms, not to mention the latest patch fixed all the releases that weren't able to achieve a perfect release. And really, all that is beside the point, it doesn't even matter what shot you're using, all that matters is what I've said before. If you don't buy that, then you'll be sorely mistaken time and time again after watching some nobody drop 60 points and not step inside the 3-point line.
It makes a difference because people will naturally choose the easiest shot releases when creating their guy. I think I've even seen threads here on OS that discuss which ones are easiest because why knock yourself out trying to perfect a difficult release when you don't have to.

Before the patch, there were shooters I could take into practice mode and notch a perfect release the first shot with no practice. Meanwhile, I could shoot with guys on my Pacers and shoot all year and never hit one.

Even Kyle Korver, one of the best shooters today, sucked just because of the release assigned to him.

That wasn't really fair either.

After the patch, you can get greens with everyone but there are still "easy shooters" and guys that are not as easy but you can still get green with them.

This has always been a problem in 2K. Easy shot releases make guys great shooters and ratings are secondary and the release overrides everything and I'm guessing these guys in the rec area are also rated up which is a double whammy.

When you play a regular roster game of two NBA 2K teams, you have to deal with what you are given and you don't have a choice. Guys aren't all rated up with easy releases in effect gaming the system. The stats I posted earlier in the thread give actual game data showing the percentages that we are experiencing and they aren't far off from real life which is what we are shooting for.

Not sure what the difficulty is in that rec league area and I haven't seen any stats but I'm assuming that it's lower than HOF sim and would also make things easier because it's not the hardest level.

If you fix your rec league problem though then it makes it worse for us who are basically playing with the guys dealt to us on the teams we are using with a wide array of releases. That also means we have to time 8 to 12 people and not just one.

Maybe if they are available you can post some post game stats here so we can see what is happening over there.

I'm not defending the rec area results. I haven't played in there. But you can't expect realistic results from an unrealistic setup if I am understanding how the area works correctly.

I can only share with you numbers we have in league play and why they are important to us.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 03-26-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #101
MVP

OVR: 13

Ok, from what my understanding, I could be totally wrong but the problem seems like it is so much easier to get green light and shoot successfully now, but by decreasing the sliders, it will really solve the problem, at least to myself? I know myself is not very smart with numbers so whatever you guys are saying, I know you guys are all pointing out great stuff, I can get some but not all, but based on what I studied through conversations between you all here, I think that by lowering the sliders, it will make the success rate lower, so let’s say I use Kyle Korver, I mastered his shooting form, I can get green lights easily, but because I lower the shooting sliders , it will make it harder to score then? Or another way to look at it is, let’s say 2K makes it very difficult to reach green lights, we can increase the sliders so that it will be easier to score then? So at the end of the day, it is a combination of knowing the form of the player’s shooting, and then depends on the green lights, how easy to reach that perfect release, and then it depends on the sliders, and what I am saying here is all fair to all players whether that player is Korver, Shaq, Iverson, whatever, doesn’t matter, the rating of their shooting ability is still different by miles…am I making sense???

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
It makes a difference because people will naturally choose the easiest shot releases when creating their guy. I think I've even seen threads here on OS that discuss which ones are easiest because why knock yourself out trying to perfect a difficult release when you don't have to.

Before the patch, there were shooters I could take into practice mode and notch a perfect release the first shot with no practice. Meanwhile, I could shoot with guys on my Pacers and shoot all year and never hit one.

Even Kyle Korver, one of the best shooters today, sucked just because of the release assigned to him.

That wasn't really fair either.

After the patch, you can get greens with everyone but there are still "easy shooters" and guys that are not as easy but you can still get green with them.

This has always been a problem in 2K. Easy shot releases make guys great shooters and ratings are secondary and the release overrides everything and I'm guessing these guys in the rec area are also rated up which is a double whammy.

When you play a regular roster game of two NBA 2K teams, you have to deal with what you are given and you don't have a choice. Guys aren't all rated up with easy releases in effect gaming the system. The stats I posted earlier in the thread give actual game data showing the percentages that we are experiencing and they aren't far off from real life which is what we are shooting for.

Not sure what the difficulty is in that rec league area and I haven't seen any stats but I'm assuming that it's lower than HOF sim and would also make things easier because it's not the hardest level.

If you fix your rec league problem though then it makes it worse for us who are basically playing with the guys dealt to us on the teams we are using with a wide array of releases. That also means we have to time 8 to 12 people and not just one.

Maybe if they are available you can post some post game stats here so we can see what is happening over there.

I'm not defending the rec area results. I haven't played in there. But you can't expect realistic results from an unrealistic setup if I am understanding how the area works correctly.

I can only share with you numbers we have in league play and why they are important to us.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #102
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Ok, from what my understanding, I could be totally wrong but the problem seems like it is so much easier to get green light and shoot successfully now, but by decreasing the sliders, it will really solve the problem, at least to myself?
The shooting sliders have no affect on the success rate of perfectly timed "green" release shots. Those will still go in 99% of the time, regardless of what you set your shooting sliders to.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:10 PM   #103
Rookie

OVR: 2
In the real world, when you shoot the ball with perfect balance and perfect release timing, the shot goes in every time. It's not uncommon for NBA players to hit 80% of their shots when they are completely open when they are shooting around. So to say that perfect releases should not go in all the time is utterly ridiculous. It doesn't work that way in reality.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:05 AM   #104
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The shooting sliders have no affect on the success rate of perfectly timed "green" release shots. Those will still go in 99% of the time, regardless of what you set your shooting sliders to.
But lowering shooting sliders WILL make the it harder to reach the green light isn't it? I think I am way off the track...then may I ask, what could be done by US not 2K now, to make it harder for US to reach green light while shooting the ball???

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »