Home

NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-25-2015, 02:13 AM   #57
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NBA 2K15: Fixing Broken Shot Forms Exposes Flaw in Shooting System

I'm not sure how I feel about the patch.

On the one hand, I shouldn't play hof sim all year and get two green releases for over a 100, 12 minute quarter games and hardly hit anything even in practice mode with no defense. (I'm using the Pacers full time).

On the other hand, guys that get good shots shouldn't be penalized "just because" shooting percentages need to be realistic.

Maybe the real problem here is that we are expecting the CPU engine to keep percentages low when it should be defense that causes low field goal percentage instead.

I think we are really focusing on the wrong problem.

Shooting feels fine to me. Defense though, does not.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:38 AM   #58
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com

On the one hand, I shouldn't play hof sim all year and get two green releases for over a 100, 12 minute quarter games and hardly hit anything even in practice mode with no defense. (I'm using the Pacers full time).

On the other hand, guys that get good shots shouldn't be penalized "just because" shooting percentages need to be realistic.

Maybe the real problem here is that we are expecting the CPU engine to keep percentages low when it should be defense that causes low field goal percentage instead.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this. Id say its more of a defensive issue than a shot timing issue. Because if you happen to be able to get in a good D position you nor the AI will hit a lot of shots. That's on the sim slider setting for shooting.

The problem is because lack of control due to sliding you cant defend well. Its almost impossible to play good D now because everything seems so loose and your on skates trying to defend. Even being the ball handler or the guy you passing to seems to be on ice, as they slide a bunch too.

I play offline, so IM sure its even harder online to stay in front of your man. slider adjusting don't seem to help much either, unless its tuned way down then the gameplay is horrible because it feels they are stuck in sand,lol.

Id say shooting is probably fine, and its the defense and lack of control over the players because of sliding is where the problem lays.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-25-2015, 02:43 AM   #59
Pro

zrohman's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

That's it. Defense has been terrible and unresponsive all year for the user. Sliding around on ice, and the cpu is just playing dumb. That sounds like the correct answer. I'm sure they could knock the shots down 5% but the defense should be the focus
Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 AM   #60
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrohman
That's it. Defense has been terrible and unresponsive all year for the user. Sliding around on ice, and the cpu is just playing dumb. That sounds like the correct answer. I'm sure they could knock the shots down 5% but the defense should be the focus
So, would changing SLIDERS fix the defense for both USER and CPU. Yes, I know USER is controlled in our hands but we only control one player at a time and the other four players on the court are controlled by the computer...
Old 03-25-2015, 06:02 AM   #61
Pro

If they do fix the defense in 2k16 or 17 i hope they'll only fix if for offline modes. Otherwise they're just rewarding off ball defenders again. If they can't have separate sets of sliders, or whatever it is that's needed, for on/offline then i honestly hope they leave the defense as bad as it is.

This is just my view as an online myteam player of course --> i don't want to be guarded by a team of cpu controlled 90+ ovr players that have flawless defensive ai.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #62
Rookie

Perfect releases should never go in 99-100% of the time. Unrealistic. Same applies for free throws. Perfect releases should indicate that you are shooting at your players capability.

Also If your going to implement a new shooting system, make sure you give detailed information about how it works.
Example: There's a rhythm icon option in the gameplay options menu, that I still don't know where it is in the game. Everything doesn't have to be a secret. Especially when I pay money to enjoy a game I can't shoot on.
Last, please due away with the hot zones. Or letting people know where they are. I'm sick seeing people running to shoot from the same spot because they know they have a higher sucess rate there. Unrealistic.
But with the way this shooting system is, I don't blame them.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #63
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

Coach I agree with some of that but not all of it.

If you create a system where perfect release equals 100%, then stick skills play a more bigger role than actual real life %'s. Basically the original post demonstrated that the game becomes unrealistic because a skilled user is able to make a player shoot much better if they are able to time their shot. I already realized this means your whole defensive strategy changes because you now have to defend non-shooters much differently because their shot is not glitched.

Take a look at these Pacers numbers. The Pacers as a team shoot 42% when wide open occording to SportsVU and 35% when contested tight. So as a team they only are better 6.7% when open. I think they did this kind of study last year and it showed that the NBA as a whole only shoots 5% better on average when open.

The CPU engine should be about as close you can to what you have shown, which is why I think they need to seriously look at getting rid of perfect success equals 99% success. They need individual ratings for open and when contested. All of this was found on NBA.com. This is looking at jumpers 10 feet or greater.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #64
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuhead
Perfect releases should never go in 99-100% of the time. Unrealistic. Same applies for free throws. Perfect releases should indicate that you are shooting at your players capability.

Also If your going to implement a new shooting system, make sure you give detailed information about how it works.
Example: There's a rhythm icon option in the gameplay options menu, that I still don't know where it is in the game. Everything doesn't have to be a secret. Especially when I pay money to enjoy a game I can't shoot on.
Last, please due away with the hot zones. Or letting people know where they are. I'm sick seeing people running to shoot from the same spot because they know they have a higher sucess rate there. Unrealistic.
But with the way this shooting system is, I don't blame them.
Lol, you'd hate playing against me in the Rec. My player has hot zones everywhere on the court, so I'd be able to pull from anywhere.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »