Home

NBA 2K15 Patch #4 Available Now, Primarily Addresses Shoe Issues

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 Patch #4 Available Now, Primarily Addresses Shoe Issues within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #345
QNo
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K15 Patch #4 Available Now, Primarily Addresses Shoe Issues

Thanks Beluba, great to hear some details. That's roughly what I figured as well. I feel much more rewarded for playing basketball and getting shooters open and I've yet to play someone I couldn't hold to less than 55% FG% in MyTeam, which given that everybody has stacked teams, seems perfectly reasonable. Bad and off-ball defense is being punished now, as it should be. The game is really fun now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #346
MVP

Thank you, Beluba, for clarifying everything. I feel as if this is more in line with they way it should have been, so thank you and well done.

Much of the complaining online kinda shows me that some people aren't as good as they thought, letting terrible shooting mechanics/balance bail them out when they thought they were playing good defense when they weren't. While the cheese will always present an opportunity to always be a factor for bad players, I kinda feels like this helps balance it for good players who play great offense, where they can finally be rewarded instead of seeing who can build a brick mansion the fastest.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #347
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
To give some insight on the actual tuning that I made... here's essentially what happened.

The shot heuristics are pretty complex but at a basic level, pre-patch the numbers looked something like this for a decent shooter at mid-range:
Wide open = 45%
Fully Contested = 35%
Heavily Contested = 10%

That's why many people complained that "being open" didn't really matter much, and they were right. Post-patch, that same shooter is now:
Wide open = 60%
Fully Contested = 20%
Heavily Contested = 10%

So over the course of the game, assuming both teams shoot an even spread of open and contested jumpers, you should've seen zero change to your end of game shot percentages when comparing pre and post patch. But if you trend hard one way or the other (all your shots are open or all your shots are contested), you would've seen a very noticeable change. Now I also fixed the "glitched" shots being unable to get perfect release, so that will factor in as well.

But if both teams play solid defense, I can believe that a player might go 80% from the field from time to time, but it definitely shouldn't be the norm. Also, in case you're wondering, I didn't touch 3PT percentages at all, only layup, close and mid-range values.

From the feedback, it seems like head to head play is much closer to what I'm looking for in terms of making the game more fun and users are rewarded for getting high quality looks. But if you guys are torching the AI offline, you might have to do some slider tweaking for this year and get in Da Czar and OG's ears to ensure the AI puts up a better fight in 2K16.

I've got a bone to pick with whoever helps with AI. offensively, our players are stupid as hell when it comes to reacting to doubles and zones. the lack of rotations and dives to the basket, especially on pick and rolls/double teams, is soooo frustrating.

and then there's that whole trampoline missed dunk, missed layups, dunks affected by players contesting from under the rim, unrealistic blocked dunks, predicted alley-oops thing.......one step at a time though.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #348
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxPHANTOM
This was exactly the problem offline. The CPU even on superstar/sim doesn't play perfect defense a lot. I never had any problems shooting the ball on shot timing. Even if I didn't get a perfect release, shots would go in. In fact, shot percentages were realistic for each player in my MyLeague. Specific player ratings actually meant something. Now guys with a 50 rating in mid range can look like LeBron from mid range post patch, and that is not an exaggeration.

On the other note, perhaps shooting needed to be adjusted online. However, offline and online are two different things. Just because one needed to be tweaked doesn't mean the other did too when you are facing the CPU.
completely agree. the game is a joke offline now. i went from getting realistic shooting percentages in low to mid 40's on myleague to shooting close to 60% every game....

sorry but thats not good Beluba. no matter how you try to slice it or dice it, thats just not a good look and its not realistic.

and i understand that you will just say "sliders".... but just so you know, ive been tinkering with the shooting sliders and i keep going lower and lower trying to find the right number to give me realistic results. at this point i dont know if i will find the right number because its still too easy.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #349
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
To give some insight on the actual tuning that I made... here's essentially what happened.

The shot heuristics are pretty complex but at a basic level, pre-patch the numbers looked something like this for a decent shooter at mid-range:
Wide open = 45%
Fully Contested = 35%
Heavily Contested = 10%

That's why many people complained that "being open" didn't really matter much, and they were right. Post-patch, that same shooter is now:
Wide open = 60%
Fully Contested = 20%
Heavily Contested = 10%

So over the course of the game, assuming both teams shoot an even spread of open and contested jumpers, you should've seen zero change to your end of game shot percentages when comparing pre and post patch. But if you trend hard one way or the other (all your shots are open or all your shots are contested), you would've seen a very noticeable change. Now I also fixed the "glitched" shots being unable to get perfect release, so that will factor in as well.

But if both teams play solid defense, I can believe that a player might go 80% from the field from time to time, but it definitely shouldn't be the norm. Also, in case you're wondering, I didn't touch 3PT percentages at all, only layup, close and mid-range values.

From the feedback, it seems like head to head play is much closer to what I'm looking for in terms of making the game more fun and users are rewarded for getting high quality looks. But if you guys are torching the AI offline, you might have to do some slider tweaking for this year and get in Da Czar and OG's ears to ensure the AI puts up a better fight in 2K16.
Thanks for the explanation!

Quick question regarding 3 pointers (I know they weren't changed):

Disregarding hotzones and badges, do corner 3s go in at a higher clip than other 3s? Trying to figure out how much I should prioritize those.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #350
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

Beluba says 3 point shooting hasnt been changed.

well he may not have changed the success rate, but the fact that its now ridiculously easy to get good releases, it is in turn now easier to make threes.

since the patch ive been shooting over 50% from 3. before i would normally shoot in the high 30's.

and ive turned down the 3 point slider a little bit, still making them at a high rate.

this is what people dont seem to understand. you dont have to tinker with the success rate of the shots to make it easier to shoot. the fact that you messed with the releases has made it easy enough.

case in point is my three point shooting. you havent adjusted the success rate, but im still shooting over 10% better from 3 on average than i was before.

this is going to require another patch to perfect it or its going to require a major slider overhaul to fix it.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaypain
I don't even want to play this game no more online. 2K just can't balance a damn game. Everything is just 3pt cheesing now. Straight trash. It's like 2K said ef it put the sliders on ****** cuz of all the whiny kids. The shot system was great the way it was.

Game is one-dimensional now.
I'm interested to know if you're playing on-ball or off-ball Defense?

And...being HONEST, are you a bad, average, or good defensive player?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #352
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosegoose
Thanks for the explanation!

Quick question regarding 3 pointers (I know they weren't changed):

Disregarding hotzones and badges, do corner 3s go in at a higher clip than other 3s? Trying to figure out how much I should prioritize those.
Corner 3s should be the same as others.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »