Home

NBA 2K15 Patch #4 Available Now, Primarily Addresses Shoe Issues

This is a discussion on NBA 2K15 Patch #4 Available Now, Primarily Addresses Shoe Issues within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #337
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: NBA 2K15 Patch #4 Available Now, Primarily Addresses Shoe Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenmusic20
Wait, so we actually have to start a whole new mycareer in order to activate the progression/regression feature?
Correct. Direct quote from Leftos earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
As an FYI, any and all progression/regression tuning only applies to new saves started after installing Patch #4.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #338
Banned

OVR: 0

Here's what I'm seeing...

In Online Ranked Games, the game plays beautifully. Shots go in...but you can play defense. Shooting percentages are pretty realistic. Right Stick manual shot contests on jumpers and drives are a MUST.

Games VS the CPU...shots seem a little too easy to make - and as others have said - you can't tell the CPU to "play better defense". I'm not playing on HOF Sim yet...and will give it a try to see how it feels soon.

As for MyTeam, I'm only in the 6 seed now(new PSN account, starting over)....but games VS other players online are ridiculous. I'm having trouble keeping people under 70% shooting even with lineups stacked with some of the best defensive players.

Now...when it comes to real-life shooting percentages contested VS non-contested some of you need to STOP with the anecdotal "evidence". There is plenty of info out there on stuff like this these days...and I'm fairly certain 2K has access to it.

This is a great article for those looking for REAL actual info...

http://www.sloansportsconference.com...in-the-NBA.pdf

If you do some digging online...you can find other statistical breakdowns like this.

Here are a few more:

https://www.numberfire.com/nba/news/...age-in-the-nba

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/0...umpers-vs-okc/

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...ntested-shots/

http://bigleagueinsights.com/contest...ing-open-shot/

I'm sure there's a ton more....

As it is right now...I think shooting is a LITTLE too easy. But not too much. A very SLIGHT tweak would probably be a good thing.

But this isn't just as simple as looking at the real-life stats and making every game of NBA 2K align with those.

The SKILL of the player using the controller is an important factor.

If a skilled player who has been playing 2K for a decade faces off against someone who is just playing the game for the first time....the numbers are NOT going to look like they do in a real NBA game. One player is obviously more skilled and experienced than the other. And not just at shooting....because other factors like passing, ball handling, spacing, and defense all have an effect on Shooting %.

And even if you put two "average" 2K players against each other, that doesn't mean the stats will necessarily work out exactly like real-life NBA stats do. Let's face it, most 2K players are MUCH better offensive players than they are DEFENSIVE players.

From looking at some of the DATA...I think the one thing 2K may need to tweak for realism is shots created off the dribble VS catch-and-shoot shots. There is clearly a difference statistically and in NBA 2K15 I feel that too many of these off-the-dribble shots go in....especially jumpers from distance.

This is why there are 2K15 players whose entire "offense" consists of dribbling down the court with ONE player, making zero passes, and putting up a shot. Or as some have termed it "hero ball".

Last edited by coached17; 03-17-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #339
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I really liked the realism of playing off guys like Josh Smith\Rondo\Tony Allen who struggle in the mid range\3 point area...and using that as a strategy to defend. Now those guys seem to be hitting jumpers a little too consistently IMO...
Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #340
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

To give some insight on the actual tuning that I made... here's essentially what happened.

The shot heuristics are pretty complex but at a basic level, pre-patch the numbers looked something like this for a decent shooter at mid-range:
Wide open = 45%
Fully Contested = 35%
Heavily Contested = 10%

That's why many people complained that "being open" didn't really matter much, and they were right. Post-patch, that same shooter is now:
Wide open = 60%
Fully Contested = 20%
Heavily Contested = 10%

So over the course of the game, assuming both teams shoot an even spread of open and contested jumpers, you should've seen zero change to your end of game shot percentages when comparing pre and post patch. But if you trend hard one way or the other (all your shots are open or all your shots are contested), you would've seen a very noticeable change. Now I also fixed the "glitched" shots being unable to get perfect release, so that will factor in as well.

But if both teams play solid defense, I can believe that a player might go 80% from the field from time to time, but it definitely shouldn't be the norm. Also, in case you're wondering, I didn't touch 3PT percentages at all, only layup, close and mid-range values.

From the feedback, it seems like head to head play is much closer to what I'm looking for in terms of making the game more fun and users are rewarded for getting high quality looks. But if you guys are torching the AI offline, you might have to do some slider tweaking for this year and get in Da Czar and OG's ears to ensure the AI puts up a better fight in 2K16.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #341
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
From the feedback, it seems like head to head play is much closer to what I'm looking for in terms of making the game more fun and users are rewarded for getting high quality looks. But if you guys are torching the AI offline, you might have to do some slider tweaking for this year and get in Da Czar and OG's ears to ensure the AI puts up a better fight in 2K16.
As an offline player this makes me sad....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #342
MVP

jk31's Arena

Yeah, because now everyone is a good 3pt shooter...

In one league I have the following players:

Jrue Holiday - Rasual Butler - Paul George - Pau Gasol - Roy Hibbert
Andre Miller - Solomon Hill - Boris Diaw - Lavoy Allen - Jermaine O'Neal

Guess who the best shooters are. Right, Solomon Hill and Pau Gasol...

Both shoot close to 50%. Solomon Hill shot 19/38 in the last 5 games I've played. He also scored 31, 23, 33 and 19 during that stretch (other game he scored just 7).
Old 03-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #343
Banned

I don't even want to play this game no more online. 2K just can't balance a damn game. Everything is just 3pt cheesing now. Straight trash. It's like 2K said ef it put the sliders on ****** cuz of all the whiny kids. The shot system was great the way it was.

Game is one-dimensional now.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #344
Rookie

JRxPHANTOM's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
This was exactly the problem offline. The CPU even on superstar/sim doesn't play perfect defense a lot. I never had any problems shooting the ball on shot timing. Even if I didn't get a perfect release, shots would go in. In fact, shot percentages were realistic for each player in my MyLeague. Specific player ratings actually meant something. Now guys with a 50 rating in mid range can look like LeBron from mid range post patch, and that is not an exaggeration.

On the other note, perhaps shooting needed to be adjusted online. However, offline and online are two different things. Just because one needed to be tweaked doesn't mean the other did too when you are facing the CPU.

Last edited by JRxPHANTOM; 03-17-2015 at 01:29 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »