Home

MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Cubs vs. Pirates: Full Game (Archive Available)

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Cubs vs. Pirates: Full Game (Archive Available) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-24-2015, 12:12 AM   #473
Pro

ajblithe20's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Cubs vs. Pirates: Full Game (Archive Available)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
The outfielder should just always have his eyes on the ball like in real life, i don't think you'll ever see an outfielder just turn around and go out in full sprint and then turn around and know where the ball is.

The outfielder's head should always be turned so his eyes are tracking the ball.
Sometimes they'll turn and put their head down. Usually only when it's going to be a very difficult play and they need all the speed they can get to get to the ball. I know I've seen Adam Jones do this a couple of times.

But for the most part, I agree with you. If it's a typical fly ball, the outfielder never stops tracking it.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #474
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Cubs vs. Pirates: Full Game (Archive Available)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
The outfielder should just always have his eyes on the ball like in real life, i don't think you'll ever see an outfielder just turn around and go out in full sprint and then turn around and know where the ball is.

The outfielder's head should always be turned so his eyes are tracking the ball.

It happens when a ball is hit directly over a fielder's head and they're not able to "angle back" on the ball. The only way for the fielder to keep his eye on the ball in this situation would be to backpedal, which isn't good technique. In this case, especially when an outfielder is burnt, their only shot is to turn and run back without watching the ball and hope to pick it up after to make the catch. It's one of the harder plays to make as an outfielder IRL, but an easy play to make in the Show.

I think 2k8 had their indicator disappear when turning your back on the ball on hits over a fielder's head.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #475
MVP

DodgerFanatic2K3's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I don't foresee Matt going anywhere. There is way too much time and money invested in him. Matt has the ability to do this. The guy who used to do the script writing had his style and approach as Kirby will have his own style and visions as well. Just throwing new guys in does not fix the scripts.
Did Kirby get a chance to get any of his own script writing into this years game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #476
Pro

ralphieboy11's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm interested to see where Kirby wants to go with the commentary. I actually don't mind Matt V. that much. I think he's the best part of the broadcasting team. He just gives a basic rundown of what's happening each play and mentions players by name. I have no problem with that. It's the commentary of Karros and Lyons that bothers me more. I think it's just because I play so much of the game, but I really cringe when I hear some of their analysis. Some of those same lines are really grating when you've heard them over and over again.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #477
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerFanatic2K3
Did Kirby get a chance to get any of his own script writing into this years game?
I'm sure there's a little bit, here and there... Keep in mind, he's only very recently assumed that role. Ed was there many years and thousands upon thousands of lines later, we have Kirby chipping away at it.

htcONE [M8] 5.0 | Tapatalk

YouTube

Old 02-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #478
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
I'm sure there's a little bit, here and there... Keep in mind, he's only very recently assumed that role. Ed was there many years and thousands upon thousands of lines later, we have Kirby chipping away at it.

Maybe I've been playing this game too long and I know that eventually every game commentary gets old but sometimes I have the feeling that for certain common situations there is only one line recorded, for instance when you hit a high popup

You guys know which one I mean haha.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #479
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
Maybe I've been playing this game too long and I know that eventually every game commentary gets old but sometimes I have the feeling that for certain common situations there is only one line recorded, for instance when you hit a high popup

You guys know which one I mean haha.
Well maybe I've been playing too long too... because I remember when the line was "and this is a Dave Kingman type of popup!" - so the lines have changed some over the years. I don't think the younger generation would even know what that referred to.

Anyway, I think listening to the new radio show will give you a good idea of what Kirby envisions for pbp announcing.

YouTube

Old 02-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #480

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
MLB 15 The Show Livestream - Cubs vs. Pirates: Full Game (Archive Available)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarningTrackPower
It happens when a ball is hit directly over a fielder's head and they're not able to "angle back" on the ball. The only way for the fielder to keep his eye on the ball in this situation would be to backpedal, which isn't good technique. In this case, especially when an outfielder is burnt, their only shot is to turn and run back without watching the ball and hope to pick it up after to make the catch. It's one of the harder plays to make as an outfielder IRL, but an easy play to make in the Show.

I think 2k8 had their indicator disappear when turning your back on the ball on hits over a fielder's head.

Outfielders have two techniques they practice and work on regularly with one of them addressing the situation you described and results in them taking their eye off the ball only for a split second.

A half back turn is when an outfielder is running back and is able to just switch his direction by keeping his head facing forward and rotating his shoulders thus never losing site of the ball.

For the situation you describe they work on full back turns which is then basically having to do a 360 and turn their back to the ball for a second to switch direction. They then pick up the ball again immediately and continue on thee new route.

They will never just put their head down without watching the ball.

Last edited by kehlis; 02-25-2015 at 05:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »