Home

Should the Calvin Johnson Rule Be 'In The Game' (Madden 15)

This is a discussion on Should the Calvin Johnson Rule Be 'In The Game' (Madden 15) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #25
---

TexasFan2005's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Should the Calvin Johnson Rule Be 'In The Game' (Madden 15)

To the original question: On one hand I say yes, absolutely, these things should definitely be in the game. On the other hand, thinking back to how EA implemented the David Tyree catch so that you see it 5x a game, every single game, I'd say NO. There is no middle ground in EA Sports games because there aren't enough animations implemented properly so as to see different variations of events. Get rid of the canned animations and implement more natural movements for players, then these types of situations can happen naturally.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0
I do think all things that are in the NFL should be in Madden games, but this issue should remain out for now.

Why?Because from all the backlash of this right now, this off season this rule may change.But like many others have said, there is other issues mainly penalties.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #27
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
All they'd have to do is give these kind of events an appropriate probability of occurring.

All-Pro Football 2K8 had bobbled snaps, dropped hand-offs, blocked kicks, and bad snaps flying way overhead. Plus in bad weather, there would be plays where the athletes just slipped and fell down. But those things happened so rarely in APF 2K8 that they were just cool and interesting when they occurred, not frustrating.

A little randomness, even if the random event punishes the player, can go a long way towards making a sports game feel more tense and exciting.
I'm glad I've finally reached the point with Madden where, most of the time, I simply laugh at the approaches for creating it that I find absurd, instead of getting frustrated or disappointed. To that point I want to add to the post I quoted the fact that an option to disable those random events could be provided as well. The repeated notion that x shouldn't be in the game, no matter how much it reasonably adds to the realism of this alleged simulation game, because it will upset gamers, makes me lol every time I read it. It amazes me how the concept of options seem to sometimes get overlooked with regard to applicable realism for Madden.

Also, like others have touched on, the issue/question should not be specifically representing the Calvin Johnson rule, it should be adding the framework to the game where these type of moments can occur quasi organically.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 01-12-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #28
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15
Yeah let's change the rule just for dez bryant signed jerry jones. Give me a break how about those Cowgirls?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:44 PM   #29
MVP

kennyacid's Arena

OVR: 30
They can't even get the rules that are in the game now correct so why would anyone want another rule in the game. And let's not even talk about the poor replay system in the game....Ehhhh work on what's in now then worry about adding more...
Old 01-12-2015, 11:20 PM   #30
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

The challenge system is too broken to even comprehend something like this.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 01-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #31
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

They have to get challenges to work first. They still seem random. Guys obviously out of bounds on catch and the ref says he's inbounds. Get the basic right before going complex. MaDden has struggled with this for years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2015, 12:43 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
All they'd have to do is give these kind of events an appropriate probability of occurring.

All-Pro Football 2K8 had bobbled snaps, dropped hand-offs, blocked kicks, and bad snaps flying way overhead. Plus in bad weather, there would be plays where the athletes just slipped and fell down. But those things happened so rarely in APF 2K8 that they were just cool and interesting when they occurred, not frustrating.

A little randomness, even if the random event punishes the player, can go a long way towards making a sports game feel more tense and exciting.
We've been begging for this for years, especially offline guys who just want realistic stats. All the online gamers should just turn the sim elements off if they don't want to see them.

But if they can't make holding penalties occur at a a sim rate or even implement PI penalties, why would we want them to get obscure things into the game when they can't even get things that are commonplace into the game?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »