Home

Should the Calvin Johnson Rule Be 'In The Game' (Madden 15)

This is a discussion on Should the Calvin Johnson Rule Be 'In The Game' (Madden 15) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Is this a serious question? EA can't even get the things right that 2k did 10 years ago. How about they focus on making penalties a part of the game first which is ridiculous considering this game is 25 yrs old lol. Knowing EA this will be a main focus on next year's game and they will neglect the parts of the game that need fixed again
Old 01-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #18
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
I'll get this back on track so it doesn't become a complaint thread:

How could they even begin to put this in the game where it didn't feel completely random and forced?

It happens so rarely where this call actually affects the outcome of a game that the last instance people can remember off-hand is Megatron "dropping" that pass back in 2010.

Can EA put in something that affects a game once every 4-5 years?

I know you guys think "if it happens in real life, it should happen in the game", but let's be realistic. I've watched every single Chiefs game since 2008 and I can't remember this rule ever coming into play. Does it really need to be IN the game for Madden to be an accurate representation of the NFL?
If you think about it this is already somewhat in the game its called complete and incomplete passes. If a player makes a catch the games recongizes the play as a catch, if the player does not catch the ball it is called incomplete. They could add animations or physics so that the ball can be dropped or knocked loose upon making contact with the ground, again this might already be in the game, but I don't want it to get to the point where I need to question whether ot not madden refs screw, although it akready happens.

I think it is more important for madden to get penalties and challenges correct. Penalties are nearly non-existent and you can only challenge if and when the game let's you. There have been plenty of times where I want to challenge a call and the game simply does not allow me to.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #19
Banned

Madden is a joke. It really is unbelievable to think that 2k put out a better quality game 10 years ago than EA has in its whole existence. The exclusive deal ruined sports gaming.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #20
Rookie

I would love to see more penalties in madden. Maybe have them turned off for online play so somebody doesn't get a fluke win however it would be nice to see vs a friend or cpu to add that relism to the game.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by young6s
Madden is a joke. It really is unbelievable to think that 2k put out a better quality game 10 years ago than EA has in its whole existence. The exclusive deal ruined sports gaming.
It would be difficult to add something like this into madden, without people complaining about it happening too many times. Also that play in yesterdays game (as well as the Calvin Johnson play)is a judgement call. When I saw the play I thought Dez Bryant made a football move when he lundged to the goal line which should have resulted in a spectacular catch, dive, fumble at 1/2 yard line and a recovery in the end zone.....

Should it be in the game? Yes.... Does "its in the game" even matters anymore? Which brings me to even if the play was in the game.... Would the correct challenge be in the list of challenges available to pick from??...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Should the Calvin Johnson Rule Be 'In The Game' (Madden 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeworld
It would be difficult to add something like this into madden, without people complaining about it happening too many times.
All they'd have to do is give these kind of events an appropriate probability of occurring.

All-Pro Football 2K8 had bobbled snaps, dropped hand-offs, blocked kicks, and bad snaps flying way overhead. Plus in bad weather, there would be plays where the athletes just slipped and fell down. But those things happened so rarely in APF 2K8 that they were just cool and interesting when they occurred, not frustrating.

A little randomness, even if the random event punishes the player, can go a long way towards making a sports game feel more tense and exciting.

Last edited by jyoung; 01-12-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #23
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

I echo everyone else here. Madden needs to get penalties integrated in a realistic manner 1st before they worry about adding something like this. DB/WR interactions need to be a focal point so that it is atleast on the level of 2k5. Most of these penalties aren't even called and if they are sometimes there is zero visual cue of them such as DPI,OPI, etc. I remember Madden made a big deal about putting in the David Tyree helmet catch and adding it to the game the following year because that was the in thing at the time. this is not important enough imo.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #24
MVP

No need for it. It would only be an animation as passes are already complete or incomplete. No need to add an animation that happens less than once a year. So many more important things ard crying for attention

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »