Home

Super Mega Baseball is a Throwback of the Good Kind (PS4 Review)

This is a discussion on Super Mega Baseball is a Throwback of the Good Kind (PS4 Review) within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #105
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Super Mega Baseball is a Throwback of the Good Kind (PS4 Review)

I have seen the CPU pitcher fatigue a couple of times as well. I have a couple complete games in the 15 season games I have done but my pitchers were struggling big time at the end as I would expect. Tough to fix with the short bullpen other than increase stamina across the board I guess.

Still really liking the game so far and I am sure I could walk more but I am WAY to aggressive at the plate so even if it is a ball if I can get to it I am swinging.

What type of teams are you guys using? I went with a Speed team and have been happy with my decision so far. Getting first to third a lot and scoring from second regularly has helped be get runs I may not have got otherwise. I still get thrown out a bunch stealing so I am trying to limit the times I try a straight steal.

I have been tweaking the difficulty after three game sets. I go once through my teams starting pitching rotation then based on how things went i change the difficulty.

Glad this game is fixing the Power Pros itch I had that when it went away.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #106
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Game is fun, but I think it's missing MLB players. By that I mean that's the problem.

Even when I played Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball back in the day, at least the teams had the players even if they didn't have the names. I would re-name players on teams however best I could.

Backyard Baseball 2001 and 2003 also had the luxury of MLB players. I think the original BB without the kid players wouldn't have lasted long for me.

Then insert any game since then, including Power Pros, and you get what I'm saying there.

I think if I can edit these teams into some MLB teams, I'll be set. Too bad we won't get the lot, or MLB stadiums or anything else... because the gameplay is good, but what keeps me coming back is the investment with my team, and right now I don't have it with these fictional, arcadish characters.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #107
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

Not everything has to replicate MLB. I have just as much fun trying to strike out Nacho Crisp and Rip Dingers as I would Pablo Sandoval and Hunter Pence.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Kings / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
XBox: MizzouRhino
Old 12-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #108
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

To each its own. I'm trying to figure out what's missing in this game, and I think that's what it is. Like I said, I technically haven't ever played a baseball game that didn't have MLB players in it.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #109
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
To each its own. I'm trying to figure out what's missing in this game, and I think that's what it is. Like I said, I technically haven't ever played a baseball game that didn't have MLB players in it.
I think they needed to add more personality to the players. Select a few players on each team as the "stars" and make them a bit over the top when it comes to appearance, demeanor and skills.

Also, the teams all have different styles (speed, power, pitching, etc.) but I think they should have been exaggerated a bit more for variety's sake.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Kings / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
XBox: MizzouRhino
Old 12-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #110
All Star

Stormyhog's Arena

OVR: 15

I started playing baseball games back in the 80's when games weren't licensed like super action baseball, NES baseball, baseball stars & bases loaded. So this game takes me back to that time which I loved. Never a bad thing to have different styles of games.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #111
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I just had an amazing back-and-forth game with the computer on 50 Ego, hitting a pinch-hit Grand Slam to take a lead in the top of the 8th. I ended up winning 6-5 after the CPU got a homer of its own in the bottom half.

CPU left its pitcher in maybe a bit too long (to the 6th), but only surrendered one walk (as did I).

The sweet spot I'm finding in this game is with the power pitching and batting, which basically gives you the full control of your players at the expense of adding an extra timing mechanic (and increasing your own margin of error). If I try to pick corners by using that pitching mode all game, I will surrender walks and make mistakes out over the plate. But in exchange I get the full potential out of my players. You probably notice that when you "X Button" pitch or hit you never get close to 99 power, right? You will get much closer to that if you swing or pitch with Square and get the timing right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #112
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

^ So are you suggesting to always use them as a default?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »