Home

How to Make Madden Play More Realistic Defense

This is a discussion on How to Make Madden Play More Realistic Defense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyAC
I would take even a step back from there. All your ideas are perfect and necessary IF AND ONLY IF they are being built on a solid foundation.

Football is fundamentally a game of contact and positioning.

Madden Offense, Defense, and Special Teams all sorely need proper systems for
1) locomotion and momentum
2) engaging in and breaking off from tackles and blocks

When something resembling modern game programming is done for those parts of the game, then it is time to add strategic depth and gameplay polish.

I would love to see Madden take a COD approach in it's development cycle, and give three studios each three years to develop their madden.
I actually agree. Tired of playing a similar game each year (didn't say same, said similar).
Old 12-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
Rookie

Re: How to Make Madden Play More Realistic Defense

Totally agree with your suggestions. "Other sporting games" have already been doing a lot of the AI adaptive stuff and fine tuning along the way. However I am sure these very practical request will fall on deaf ears as usual. Now if you had some suggestions for MUT I am sure EA would already have them ready for the next patch release.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 20

Defense AI is too robotic and predictable, EA needs to be able to make them "think".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 20
I do agree on making the field bigger. Going from 2K baseball to Sony baseball was huge for me, mostly because how giant the outfield felt compared to 2K. I think a wider field would make the gameplay feel more open.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdavidtaylor1989
The game is too robotic. I bought it when the price was reasonable (35$. probably worth 30$ at best). The cornerback/WR interaction is still awful. Create a player is another problem. Have you ever created a 6'2 330 pound DT and they end up with skinny arms? Needs to be changed immediately. I know they have QB unique throws. They need for every position. I hate to say it but 2K would have had this by 2k10. Madden needs a ton of work.
Whats this have to with making Madden play more realistic defense? I'm certain there's a general thread where you can post all your gripes about Madden. I agree with the points of the OP and some of the ones made on the first page by other posters. The ability to assign specific DB's to WR/TE's would be a nice re-addition. It was in the early 00's games, I don't know why they removed it in later editions. That was stupid.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
Rookie

The irony in all this we call the ian cummings era the worst in maddens history but the guy had some great ideas when he gave the players weapons traits. These are excellent ideas though I been wanting matchups back for years.Also I wish they would just make connected franchise like nfl head coach o9 as well. The one thing I take from all these threads is that everyone seems to not believe in the dev talent over at EA.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #15
Rookie

CHAPEdawg45's Arena

I think we're just done with gimmicks and crap. We are just tired of what we've had. This game is better, don't get me wrong, but want a football game with depth, complexity, and solid game-play now over all. Not a tackle cone or some ****. Hell, I just miss being able to pick twists or other stunts on my D-line before picking a coverage. Why can't we have that? lol. It was done prior in the 2k series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 4

I came across a madden 12 guide at work and it listed some of the same defensive 'improvements' that Madden 15 claims to have fixed, only to not see it translated in the game. I'm paraphrasing here, but it said that it was the ultimate football simulation and zone defense was their top priority. Defenders will now react to players in their zone. Well this has been shown in vids and I've seen myself playing the game that is not the case.

I know this can be done since an ancient game did a better job of it, but instead of renaming things and passing them off as 'new' features(conservative/aggressive tackle), they should work on making the player ratings work.

Every year defense is just horrible, no matter if a player's awareness is high or low there is no consistency. That's one of the reason why everyone feels the same except for speed...and that goes for offense too. To me the if the awareness attribute actually worked, it would be just as valuable as speed and wouldn't be the cheapest rating to increase.

You have either dbs that are too aware, or players on both sides of the ball play as if they've never played football before. And it's pretty bad to see a lb staring down a scrambling qb, only to react once he crosses the line of scrimmage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »