Home

Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Madden NFL 15 Continues A Long Tradition of No Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefJoeHalt
Just my take on some of what u said regarding penalties..I understand ur point but..the penalties shouldn't just be random..they should be caused by poor play or inexperience..meaning if ur using a team with DB's and LB's with poor coverage skills or/including young players this should cause more PI calls..same goes for if u have players out of position covering WR (ie WR on LB)..along those lines u press a lot u only looking to be called for d holding or illegal use of the hands..they shouldn't just happen to happen..same with offense..if a O-Tackle is going against a speed rusher and is getting beat to the edge due to his slow feet he should hold causing the flag to be thrown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or how about online ranked lobbies that have settings for different styles, like a simulation setting. Imagine that line of thinking.

There is no hope for this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 0

The complaints I've seen about NBA 2k in this thread do more to highlight why we don't have penalties called than anything. I want penalties and can live with the consequences of having them. I can live with bad snaps, random kicking anomalies so I don't make it every single time from 50+, guys running the wrong routes causing me to throw an INT, you know random football stuff that happens.

But the run of the mill user, even one interested in sim football, would throw a complete fit if they lost (especially online) because of something they can't control. That's the thinking behind the lack of penalties, and they'd probably catch just as much grief for having them as not.

Sacrifices need to be made in the constant balance of gameplay vs realism. I don't think offering a close to 100% realistic experience is beyond them, but I do think it's something they don't want to do.

Is it that they're not sim enough or is it that the sim guys are just notoriously the most difficult to please? If they catered to that crowd, they're not going to shut anyone up, in fact it'll probably just get worse, and make sim players feel more entitled.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #27
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Penalty sliders change game play FAR more than they change penalty call frequency. It is a sad aspect that really can't be undone.

For example: You want the CPU QB to take more shots down the field and have better pocket presence? Increase intentional grounding to 80+.

Does this increase intentional grounding penalties? Not one bit. I have literally not seen one intentional grounding penalty since I changed this slider, but I have seen a dramatic increase in medium and deep pass attempts by the CPU.

That is the problem with Madden penalties. It is all animation based. The penalty sliders just increase the chances of particular animations associated with penalties playing. They need to COMPLETELY SEPARATE penalties from generic game play animations and until they do penalties will be broken.

The upside of this relationship however, is that we can use penalty sliders to make game play more realistic.

For example, see this thread:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...y-sliders.html

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 11-06-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:40 AM   #28
Rookie

CHAPEdawg45's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist Of Kings
I think it's fair. When you're the only company that can make football games and they regularly ship out games with legcay issues and then add new problems to it, people are going to be more critical of it.

I've bought so many of these games, both NCAA and Madden and most have been bad/mediocre imo. I still have Madden 05 on my ps2, and despite it's age it has little details that are missing in this year's game, sadly better commentary, and penalties that actually work. I wish someone from EA would let us know why they thought making penalty sliders effect some penalties and gameplay when they should be separate. It's just a mess right now, and we're left trying to figure out which slider does what.
I like to think a game that has to be reliant on sliders for a really good experience is kind of weak. Now with that said, I don't hate sliders. I like the ability to tailor any person's game to their own liking. But I'd like to have it where you don't need to adjust it so drastically in order for it to do so. That isn't the case for Madden. You'll see piles of slider sets to try and get a realistic and fun game. Most work to an extent until it's bogged down by the ever present legacy issues. I just don't get how this stuff doesn't get fixed knowing that this WHOLE community, and the nation, is football crazy and can pick out what doesn't represent the game how it should. We shouldn't have to settle for it ya know?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 1
I think EA is just playing safe. When I play against my son(14) he is happy that penalties are not called. My brother-in-law is the same way(35) - he does not play enough and just does not like it when penalties are called. Just wants to play and have fun. And I do think a majority of users feel this way - believe it or not we are the minority. When we post here at Operation Sports it would seem like we are not but surprise surprise this is a hardcore sports site, so we are all going to agree penalties need to be better. But we are 3500 users, on a good day here at Operations Sports, Madden sells 500K+ a year...do the math.

Now with all that I do believe EA needs to put in options to allow, No Penalties called, some Penalties called or NFL Penalties called(which would be more simulation based) - I do not understand why they cannot do that.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #30
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
It's simple. Give a slider for every penalty in football. Make the sliders actually work. Fix them so they don't affect the gameplay. They should only cause more or less of said penalty. Tie the likeliness of them to the players awareness or a discipline rating. They can even have them off for online ranked and MUT. Just give us options. It's not not that complicated.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #31
XSX

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
It's simple. Code the sliders so they work as penalty sliders and not tied to animations. If I want a normal range of penalties, each slider should be 50. If I want more penalties, up whichever ones you want.

But start the penalty sliders at zero, if you really want to have zero penalties. These sliders in particular should have a solid representaion of factual statistics. zero means none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
It's simple. Give a slider for every penalty in football. Make the sliders actually work. Fix them so they don't affect the gameplay. They should only cause more or less of said penalty. Tie the likeliness of them to the players awareness or a discipline rating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #32
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
But start the penalty sliders at zero, if you really want to have zero penalties. These sliders in particular should have a solid representaion of factual statistics. zero means none.
Yes. That would be perfect. That way 1-100 would actually mean 1-100. good idea

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »