Home

Check out Pharrell Williams in NBA 2K15

This is a discussion on Check out Pharrell Williams in NBA 2K15 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #65
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Check out Pharrell Williams in NBA 2K15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Not to pile on, though I suppose it's all generally the same issue, but I think I struggle with the idea of MyPlayer being forced into a personality and exaggerated speech patterns that bear absolutely no resemblance to me.

I think there's room for a little bit of rope (I could handle being given the choice of answering press conference questions in a manner that most resembled who I am and/or who I wanted to be) but I do not particularly like having myself (and with the addition of facial scanning, using oneself seems to be the point) being forced to act as if the important things in my life are Twittering a lot, meeting with stars and over-dramatically berating my lame agent with awful dialogue. What if I want to be David Robinson, a guy who just wants to modestly do his job and keep his distance from all the extra-curricular?

I know, the answer is, "If that's what you want, then this mode's not for you." But I just wish the variability still existed to allow that. Much of the immersion from the original MyPlayer was the ability to go on my own journey. I thought it was most satisfying to mirror my real life self, a guy who'd just try to hang on and get the job done via hard work. And then, if my brother wanted to create a young and brash virtual Jalen Rose for his MyPlayer, he could do that too (and he did). Choices are neat.
I do see your point. I think the idea of having different personalities that speak with different dialogues would be another level of problem altogether, and they should just focus on getting basic things like the voice acting and overall feel and direction of the mode right first. But I agree, the mode in general should progress to having more choices; not just playing 2k's singular vision, which currently feels like some kind of Saturday morning cartoon about someones journey to make it in the NBA (with special celebrity guest stars every episode!!)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #66
MVP

lakers24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Well, even Metal Gear fans can appreciate the fun little thing's Kojima put's into the series. You don't see many detailed breakdowns of how his penchant to put some odd things into the game are ruining the genre or taking the game in a bad direction. It's amazing that a sport's game like NBA 2k is taken so much more serious. it was the same thing in the beard commercial thread...It's a bit disconcerting. If this attitude represents the niche that 2k has supposedly gone away from....I can't say I blame them.
I think a lot of the issue there is the fact that this is based on real life versus mgs being a complete work of fiction. This tends to lead to over analyzing everything because they want it to replicate what they see 9 months out of a year. I don't mind some silly stuff every once in a while, but some things can go a bit overboard for a simulation.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 1
Check out Pharrell Williams in NBA 2K15

Quote:
Not to pile on, though I suppose it's all generally the same issue, but I think I struggle with the idea of MyPlayer being forced into a personality and exaggerated speech patterns that bear absolutely no resemblance to me.

I think there's room for a little bit of rope (I could handle being given the choice of answering press conference questions in a manner that most resembled who I am and/or who I wanted to be) but I do not particularly like having myself (and with the addition of facial scanning, using oneself seems to be the point) being forced to act as if the important things in my life are Twittering a lot, meeting with stars and over-dramatically berating my lame agent with awful dialogue. What if I want to be David Robinson, a guy who just wants to modestly do his job and keep his distance from all the extra-curricular?

I know, the answer is, "If that's what you want, then this mode's not for you." But I just wish the variability still existed to allow that. Much of the immersion from the original MyPlayer was the ability to go on my own journey. I thought it was most satisfying to mirror my real life self, a guy who'd just try to hang on and get the job done via hard work. And then, if my brother wanted to create a young and brash virtual Jalen Rose for his MyPlayer, he could do that too (and he did). Choices are neat.

That's why in some ways, the past 2Ks were the most immersive in being OUR careers.

I was buddies with Hansboroug from playing with him in the combine, and developed a rivalry with john wall (A REAL NBA PLAYER) playing for spots against him. And I hated Darren Collison for never passing to me.

That felt way more "mine" than forced relationships with fake players. Or internal dialogue forced upon me. WHY ARE YOU IN MY HEAD, 2K? And now you've stolen my faaaace. /froth

Quote:
Brace yourself.

MyCareer is coming.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-24-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Well, even Metal Gear fans can appreciate the fun little thing's Kojima put's into the series. You don't see many detailed breakdowns of how his penchant to put some odd things into the game are ruining the genre or taking the game in a bad direction. It's amazing that a sport's game like NBA 2k is taken so much more serious. it was the same thing in the beard commercial thread...It's a bit disconcerting. If this attitude represents the niche that 2k has supposedly gone away from....I can't say I blame them.
Bad dialogue, bad acting, and bad scripts are just that - they're bad. And in fairness, since "good" or "bad" is in the eye of the beholder, it'll always be open to interpretation. But I fail to see what may be so worrisome about a niche audience that does not appreciate what they feel to be underwhelming and poorly executed aspects of the game.

I'd have to do a tally, but it appears as if many of the folks objecting to the immersion-harming manner with which they included Pharrell (while many have offered what may have been more realistic ways of including him) are the same people who've lauded many of the other additions 2K's made thus far. To offer a perspective from the other side, sometimes it feels the board can welcome and praise the majority of a game's decisions but the moment some reasonably object to something, they can be referred to as, "If this attitude represents the niche that 2k has supposedly gone away from....I can't say I blame them."

Perhaps it'd be easier to add signatures beneath each user name detailing each aspect they approve and disapprove of so far alongside a reasoning so the generalizations may be stifled a little.

Separately, without going too far into depth (unless one wishes), additions of Mighty Ducks dialogue to a player who is supposed to represent oneself (i.e. MyPlayer) in an NBA simulation seems to be a little bit removed from however a game like Metal Gear or Grand Theft Auto may choose to operate. Kind of seems like a tough comparison there. One (NBA 2K) is both insinuated (and historically & openly trumpeted) as being the world's #1 basketball simulation. I am unsure if real life simulation is what anyone signs up for when they buy Metal Gear. Maybe a little apples to oranges there.

That said, folks have historically loved when 2K added little things... when they make sense and fall in line with the expectations of a real life simulator. Even when they added the American flag stickers to the backboard in 2K3, that was awesome, because it made sense and it positively contributed to the mission of an NBA simulation product.

Last edited by VDusen04; 09-24-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #69
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
I think a lot of the issue there is the fact that this is based on real life versus mgs being a complete work of fiction. This tends to lead to over analyzing everything because they want it to replicate what they see 9 months out of a year. I don't mind some silly stuff every once in a while, but some things can go a bit overboard for a simulation.
I look at MyPlayer mode as entering into a work of fiction....and as it's been said, we all have varying opinions on how close to reality we want that. If I had Pharrell talking to me during quick games, MyGM or MyLEAGUE I would have an entirely different view.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #70
MVP

lakers24's Arena

Quote:
I look at MyPlayer mode as entering into a work of fiction....and as it's been said, we all have varying opinions on how close to reality we want that. If I had Pharrell talking to me during quick games, MyGM or MyLEAGUE I would have an entirely different view.
I get that, but even in this mode it can go overboard. As I said before, I think the pharrell thing and talking to players is cool, but it'd be better if it wasn't implemented like the LeBron/Jackson Ellis interactions of last year.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #71
Banned

Live2K's Arena

Is this a basketball game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:

MyPlayer never really entered fictional narrative until MyCareer. MyPlayer let you tell/enact most of your own story. It gave you the NBA experience without making you not you except where necessary for interview dialogue. But you had enough control that it was just an unfortunate limitation of the technology that you couldn't have your own voice in the game. But when they take over your personality and your thoughts... The "My" story becomes a lot less interesting and compelling (in addition to questionable dialogue quality itself).

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »