Home

Madden NFL 15 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (XB1/PS4)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (XB1/PS4) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #321
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 15 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (XB1/PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkiii
I hate the Seahawks as I am a niner fan...but did you see what they did to the best offense in the NFL last year and Peyton Manning. No one ever expected that...maybe you just had a bad game...but if they can do it to real life PM...they can do it to you
I mean, I'm being realistic about it, I know they're gonna be dominant. But come on, should I not be able to stop the Eagles or Steelers either? I've got some playing around to do, I'll report back later.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #322
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlovin
Defense is great, music is really good. I stayed up until 3 last night just playing the skills trainer. I applaud the madden team for the work they have done with the skills trainer. It actually made me a better madden player. I knew the football strategy stuff but the tackling and controlling linebackers, as well as user catching tutorials made me way better. This game so far is really good from a gameplay standpoint.
This! Also spent 3 hours on Skills Trainer and I might have to change the difficulty...
Old 08-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #323
MVP

nate1986's Arena

OVR: 2

My one complaint about madden is CPU QBs being too accurate I played against Matt Cassel and somehow managed a 75 to 80 percent completion rating, not even guys like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning are that accurate and they are elite QBs
Old 08-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #324
Creative Director Madden

RexDEAFootball's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8knight1

Someone else was talking about unique quarterback styles. They are in attributes screen just like 25, but they are not showing up like they did so beautifully in 25, as I find most qb's throwing motion is the same. Was this sacrificed because of new player models?

There always seems to be two steps forward and one step back with the evolution of this game. Why is there always something good taken away?
It is a bug and not intentional. It will be addressed in the first patch.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #325
Pro

jp7588's Arena

OVR: 6

I am really liking this game so far. It has been a VERY long time since I've actually enjoyed playing a Madden game. Typically, I can barely force myself through the first couple games of a franchise and I end up simming everything. I don't think that will be the case this year. I'm not going to go talk about the well-documented issues with the sim stats and progression/regression. Those are obviously hugely disappointing and hopefully they get fixed.

Aside from the CFM issues, this game is pretty dang awesome on the field. It's visually stunning compared to last year. I usually scoff at the people who say "pics/videos don't do it justice", but that is 100% true this year. I couldn't see the improvements over 25 from watching videos before I played the game. The more I see, the more I like. Lots of detail, lots of accurate faces, great lighting (except for at night). The game looks great.

The gameplay is also dramatically improved in a lot of ways. I have encountered a few annoyances, but the overall package is so much better than it's been in a very long time. I've been playing on All-Pro - 10 Min. qtrs - QB accuracy turned down to 45 for HUM/CPU and run blocking up to 55 for HUM/CPU. So far I'm 3-1 in a Bills CFM (Lost to Chicago. Beat MIA, SD & HOU)

PROS:
-Weight and momentum feel better than I ever remember in Madden.

-The tackling physics engine (Infinity? I can't remember.) feels like its been improved quite a bit. I see a lot less bizarre, weird tripping and morphing type of stuff than I have in the past. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

-Tackling, in general, is showing more variety than ever. I'm seeing a lot of good-looking, fluid animations that I've never seen before.

-Also, maybe it's just a coincidence, but I'm seeing more position-appropriate tackles than I ever remember. I've had a couple times when I've reverted back to my old hit-sticking ways with a CB head-on against an RB and I'm learning that I should stop doing that. On the offensive side, I've only played with the Cowboys (1 game) and Bills (4 games). Playing with Dez, and against Alshon Jefferey, I noticed them making CBs look like children at times with the ball in their hands. Shrugging off tacklers and fighting for extra YAC. It hasn't been over-powered, but you can definitely see the difference between those guys and the average WR.

-Also, I'm seeing a big difference in style between the Bills' two RBs. Spiller is obviously blazing fast and a great receiving threat while Jackson is a more all-around type back. The difference in speed is obviously noticeable but, the difference in strength/trucking is very apparent as well (Jackson-79 Spiller-56). Neither have been trucking linemen or LBs, but if I get into the open field with Jackson and a CB in front of him, the CB is going to have a hard time bringing him down. At the very least, he's falling forward for extra yards. With Spiller, I'm not getting blasted by CBs, but I'm not able to run right through them either. He's more of a finesse player and I feel that I really have to keep that in mind with him.

-The O-line/D-line interactions look better than ever. I haven't focused too much on them, but they look good at a glance. You can see much more of a "fight" going on as opposed to two guys slow-dancing like they're in middle school.

-O-line and D-line ratings seem to matter quite a bit. I picked the Bills for my CFM partly because I wanted to see how their D-line performed. I've played some bad O-lines so far (CHI, MIA, SD & HOU), and they've dominated accordingly. I've had two games where Dareus and M. Williams were lining up across from guys ranked below 70 and they just mopped the floor with them. Williams was exploding off the edge and Dareus was getting all the push he wanted. Then, when they'd double team Dareus, Hughes and K. Williams were causing havoc on the other side. Needless to say, I didn't have the same success in my game with Dallas...

-The QB accuracy range mechanic is pretty neat, although I haven't seen it show up too much. The first time I did was in a pretty cool (to me) situation with Romo. I pump faked and quickly, like before the pump fake animation completed, pressed the pass button (I spazzed out because of the blitz) and Romo sailed the ball over Witten's head on like a 5-8 yard crossing route. I was worried about it just being random but, every time I've seen it, it has been in situations that make sense (QB on the run, under pressure, etc.)

-I'm seeing a pretty good variety in the CPUs playcalling. I'm also noticing the better skill position players standing out above the rest. Matt Forte and Arian Foster both put up YPCs that were at, or right below 5. Ryan Matthews was averaging like 2.5 against me until he got hurt and Moreno had just under 4. As for WRs, Jeffery is the only one in particular that has stood out, but Mike Wallace and Malcolm Floyd made some plays. Fitzpatrick wouldn't throw the ball down field to A. Johnson and Marshall was hurt when I played the Bears.

CONS:
-I really don't like the new play-calling screen. Not a huge deal. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

-Commentary is as dull as ever. I really wish they'd drop the real-life announcers and hire a couple voice actors that they can have around more often and will really take the job seriously (not that Nantz and Simms don't, but I just can't imagine they're super emotionally invested in how they sound in the game). I'm sure Jim and Phil have busy schedules. Just bring in a couple of unknowns with talent and pay them to work with the sound guys year-round. Nobody is buying/not buying based on whether or not CBS announcers are in the game. I just really don't think we're ever going to see a breakthrough in sports gaming commentary unless we have voice talent that can put in a lot more time with the devs.

-The two big ones for me have to do with CPU QB play and I think they may be somewhat related. First, the CPU quarterbacks are taking a RIDICULOUS amount of sacks. I know, "turn up the pass blocking sliders blah blah"... That's not the problem. If Mario Williams or Marcel Dareus are lined up across a 68 and 65 OVR RT and RG, they SHOULD be in the backfield almost every play. The problem is that the CPU doesn't seem to do much to adjust to the constant pressure I've put on. In my games so far I've had: @CHI-6 sacks(Cutler slipped out of like 4 more though). VS Miami-9 sacks, VS SD-15 SACKS(Fluker is awful against the pass rush) and @HOU-9 sacks.

Out of the 39 sacks I've racked up over the first four games, I'd say less than half came from the QBs blindside. A majority of them are coming right at them. They should be seeing them and doing something about it. Instead, they're usually just standing there and getting rocked... Unless they're doing that R-stick thing to slip out of them. They're also doing nothing over the course of the game to adjust. I think I hit my 10th sack on Rivers midway through the 3rd. You'd think they'd start calling some 3-step drops, getting the ball out quicker, loading up the right side. Nope. Just kept taking the hits. In fact, they were down by one score with 1:30 left with the ball. The game ended on two consecutive sacks from Mario Williams. It's like they always decide that it's better to take the sack than throw the ball, which leads me to my second issue...

-QB accuracy. I'll probably turn this slider down a bit more when I get home (had it on 45 from game 1) but, like the pass blocking, I'm concerned this issue doesn't have as much to do with that slider as just general flawed CPU QB logic. In each game so far, CPU QBs have finished with completion percentages between 75-85. I'm seeing stat lines like 14/17 132 yds 0 TD 1 INT 9 sacks. High completion percentage but low point production because they're playing super conservatively. It seems like there are only 2 likely scenarios when a CPU QB drops back: 1. Throw the ball 0-5 yards down the field to what looks like an open checkdown guy. 2. Nobody open? Take a sack. I've only had 2 INTs and both were on really short routes (like 3-yard hitches, I think) that my DBs just jumped in front of.

Cutler was a slight exception. He did have a pretty high completion percentage (18/24) and he did throw almost exclusively short passes but, he did get some good YAC production out of Alshon and he completed the only real downfield shot anyone's tried against me yet (a streak to Josh Morgan). He ended up with like 270 yards, 2 TDs and a win.

My take on the situation is this: The problems I'm seeing won't necessarily be solved in a realistic fashion by lowering QB accuracy or upping their pass blocking. Completion percentages are so high partly because QBs are RARELY throwing the ball to anyone who isn't within 10 yards of the LOS. Also, they're taking sacks instead of throwing the ball away/throwing a rushed, inaccurate pass. Any QB can go 14/17 for 115 yards if he's just going to throw hitches, drags, passes to the flats and take sacks all day.

If the CPU would start throwing the ball instead of just taking sacks, in addition to taking more shots down the field, I'd see lower completion percentages and higher production out of the elite QBs who can hit those deep throws. As it is now, I really haven't noticed much difference at all between the QBs I've played against (Cutler, Tannehill, Rivers, Fitzpatrick). The main differences have been made by the skill players around these guys. Forte and Foster ran the ball well and helped sustain drives for their teams. Alshon Jeffery and Mike Wallace got some YAC for their QBs. Aside from that, it was all short passes and sacks for everybody.

I am only 4 games in so maybe it's all going to even out. I LOVE the way dominant D-linemen are killing awful O-linemen and getting pressure on the QB. I would hate to have to nerf the pass rush and QB accuracy when it seems like we just need quarterbacks to react more realistically to pressure and start taking shots downfield.

P.S. The only reason I rambled about those last two cons for so long is because they're, literally, the only issues that have stood out to me gameplay-wise. My games have still been close, hard-fought and exciting for the most part. After that whole "come at me 2Kbro" E3 situation I told myself I would not buy Madden this year. That kinda rubbed me the wrong way and It's been a long time since I've even enjoyed Madden anyways ('06 on xbox, probably). I caved because of the positive impressions and, after like 6 hours with it, I'm pretty happy that I did. This game is pretty, fun and is as solid a football sim as we've ever seen (on the field, at least). I can't wait to jump back into it.

Last edited by jp7588; 08-27-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #326
Pro

JHeyBraves's Arena

OVR: 13

My impressions after about 3 hours

Coach Stick - Love this. How did I never read about this leading up to release? Really cool for locating matchup advantages.

Skills Trainer - I spent a few hours in this before going to the main menu for the first time. I wanted to learn all of the new controls but found myself spending more time with the football concepts. I liked all the lessons about reading defenses, where the weak spots are and how to exploit them. Very useful.

Graphics - Best of any Madden to date. I haven't played a night game yet but I hear they are bad.

Halftime Show - Glad to finally have one. It isn’t overly impressive but it is something. However, I feel like they picked the worst possible camera angles for the highlights.

Camera angles - Changing them on the fly with the d-pad is awesome. I love this feature. I really like the cameras behind the defense.

Stat Overlays - These look great. My only complaint is they should remain on screen for a few more seconds. They go away too quickly.

Running Game - Feels more organic to me. I never ran into the O-line like I used to. Eddie Lacy was a bowling ball and always fell forward.

Psychic Defenders - I feel like this is still in. I saw a few DB’s facing the opposite direction when I threw the ball but they knew exactly where it was headed and could break up the pass before it arrived.

Penalties - non-existent on default

This is a really fun game on the field. If they can get franchise fixed, this game will stay in my PS4 all season long.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #327
Rookie

OVR: 0
Thumbs down Re: Madden NFL 15 Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (XB1/PS4)

the one thing i hate is that there are NO PENALTIES being called, its rediculous that there is no P.I. calls something has to be done about this or i will not be playing this too much longer. i know you can change it but not for online players H2H. smh other than that im pleased with the game i guess.

the way the game is being called in real life NFL there is no excuse for this. I played 6 online ranked games and had one P.I. called for 4 yards and one clipping penalty. ARE YOU SERIOUS MADDEN IN TODAYS NFL their is a flag thrown every 5-10 snaps on avg.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #328
Rookie

OVR: 2

Stat Overlay only appears for like 1 second. They need to make it stay longer.
Boring music and no custom music again..
playcall screen sucks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »