Home

Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream - Presentation and Graphics

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream - Presentation and Graphics within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #489
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden NFL 15 Developer Livestream - Presentation and Graphics

Gotta be something huge holding them back if the animations haven't been fixed/upgraded. It's not like they don't know they are a problem. If they recognized us talking about WR/DB interaction, they HAVE to know how much people harp on the animation quality and interaction.

Just strange that they're moving away from the sig qb styles and animations while keeping the same awful looking stuff that has been in the game.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 08-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #490
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Gotta be something huge holding them back if the animations haven't been fixed/upgraded. It's not like they don't know they are a problem. If they recognized us talking about WR/DB interaction, they HAVE to know how much people harp on the animation quality and interaction.

Just strange that they're moving away from the sig qb styles and animations while keeping the same awful looking stuff that has been in the game.
I'd bet they've been removing these sig passing animations so that they can be part of a big marketing splash in a future game, introducing "All-new revolutionary signature player animations!" and then attaching some kind of engine name to it for that extra bang to the buzz.

Funny thing is, Madden 07 had signature running animations and Madden 10 intro'd signature passing animations (or was that 11? I can't remember right now). Then they remove it. You wonder what Madden could've been by now if they'd built on some of these good ideas over the years.

Last edited by FaceMask; 08-03-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #491
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
I'd bet they've been removing these sig passing animations so that they can be part of a big marketing splash in a future game, introducing "All-new revolutionary signature player animations!" and then attaching some kind of engine name to it.

Funny thing is, Madden 07 had signature running animations and Madden 10 intro'd signature passing animations. Then they remove it. You wonder what Madden could've been by now if they'd built on some of these good ideas over the years.
THANK YOU! EXACTLY!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #492
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

I'm going to state this once, and once alone:

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion on what they see. NOBODY is wrong. You may disagree with an opinion. But NOBODY is going to come in here and start telling anyone else that their opinion is fact. Not going to happen.

Be respectful to each other and to each person's opinions. You want to discuss the validity of a point, fine. But if I see anyone passing their own opinion as fact again, you're gone.

I've had enough.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #493
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

The philosophical schism that exists between EA and a large percentage of posters here when it comes to presentation, will never be mended. EA(The Brass) doesn't want people to forget that they're playing a video game, ever. Keeping the brand in the forefront of the gamer mind seems to be one of EA's core tenets. I'm playing Madden Football by Electronic Arts. is what they want people to always be thinking, not I'm playing an unbelievably authentic NFL Football simulation.

Now those things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but it is obvious that many of their design decisions put the brand ahead of true representation of the sport. Not every Publisher and or Developer thinks that way, but this one does.

The animation issue is more a head scratcher. It's seems to be lack of talent or lack of resource allocation.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #494
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
The philosophical schism that exists between EA and a large percentage of posters here when it comes to presentation, will never be mended. EA(The Brass) doesn't want people to forget that they're playing a video game, ever. Keeping the brand in the forefront of the gamer mind seems to be one of EA's core tenets. I'm playing Madden Football by Electronic Arts. is what they want people to always be thinking, not I'm playing an unbelievably authentic NFL Football simulation.

Now those things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but it is obvious that many of their design decisions put the brand ahead of true representation of the sport. Not every Publisher and or Developer thinks that way, but this one does.

The animation issue is more a head scratcher. It's seems to be lack of talent or lack of resource allocation.
Then what about EA's fifa presentation package? It looks very much broadcast like and gives the gamer the impression that he or she is playing real life soccer but more importantly watching a real life broadcast soccer game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
You know, the FIFA team already said after seeing the power of the PS4 has given them the power to add new animations and blend animations to make more organic and natural looking footballer movements. (Yes, I know it's Soccer to us haha). But why can't the Madden team realize this? Blend animations, or add new ones. BETTER YET, rip the old animation base out and start fresh! The goal is too MAKE IT LOOK ORGANIC AND REALISTIC! NOT ROBOTIC. (I think if the MLB team can rip out the entire ball physics codebase and rewrite it from scratch in ONE (1) dev cycle, then the animation team for Madden can step their game up too.)
In addition to adding better animation and blend animations to make things more organic and natural looking movements, Madden needs to implement Fifa's unadvertised footplanting animation system because I have never seen any players in fifa slide at all. If they're out of position to make the play, they're out of position. No one magically recovers or speeds up to get back into position because it appears that it is physics that dictates the outcome, physics driven gameplay outcome, not something scripted.

Fifa also has essentially "loose" ball passing physics where both the defender and the offensive player has every chance to fight for the ball. Passes or crosses in fifa can be over or under "thrown."

Also look at fifa's goalie play for instance -- no magical suction, speeding up when Fifia's goalies are out of position. They can "ignite-share" this technology as part of the defensive back arsenal to try and stop the ball (e.g. tip passes, batted ball, intercepted balls, etc.) from getting caught by receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...h-here-40.html

Just look at EA's Fifa title to know that it can be done. From what I do see, there's certainly ball physics to the soccer ball. One can pass to a certain spot, and both the defender and offensive player can attack the ball. The ball in fifa is not exactly scripted so to speak. When the goalie kicks the ball to center field, the ball is "loose," and who gets the ball is dictated by who's in the proper position. During passes/crosses, it's really determined based on the players position on the field. You can overpass or underpass your intended target. No warping, no suction animation, no suction interactions, great footplanting, unadvertised true step, jostling between offensive and defensive player really fighting for the ball. Better pursuit angles. A lot of things done correctly in Fifa.

EA Madden needs to use the Ignite sharing feature and take these crucial gameplay element and put it in Madden. OS member Valdarez mentioned something about how EA Madden does things differently (something related to frame rates, etc. etc.), and Big FN Deal touched on it as well. But to take Madden to the next level, they really need to probably bring in a coder/programmer along with their tech from Fifa -- maybe they did this already, but they really need to be adamant about implementing some relevant Fifa technology even if it means rewriting the Madden code.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 08-03-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #495
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Then what about EA's fifa presentation package? It looks very much broadcast like and gives the gamer the impression that he or she is playing real life soccer but more importantly watching a real life broadcast soccer game.

In addition to adding better animation and blend animations to make things more organic and natural looking movements, Madden needs to implement Fifa's unadvertised footplanting animation system because I have never seen any players in fifa slide at all. If they're out of position to make the play, they're out of position. No one magically recovers or speeds up to get back into position because it appears that it is physics that dictates the outcome, physics driven gameplay outcome, not something scripted.

Fifa also has essentially "loose" ball passing physics where both the defender and the offensive player has every chance to fight for the ball. Passes or crosses in fifa can be over or under "thrown."

Also look at fifa's goalie play for instance -- no magical suction, speeding up when Fifia's goalies are out of position. They can "ignite-share" this technology as part of the defensive back arsenal to try and stop the ball (e.g. tip passes, batted ball, intercepted balls, etc.) from getting caught by receivers.
good post. Hit it right on the head for the points your were making.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #496

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericasTeam
I'm an older gamer. I loved 2K5 and still have it. I've hated on EA probably more than most here. I want competition and want this game to improve quickly. The sad thing is, some can't give credit where it's due. This game looks to be a ton better than 25 (still has many issues).
Great post all around but I just wanted to comment on this paragraph..

I think the problem is that we've all been through this before, as recently as last year.

I guarantee you people are ready and willing to give credit where credit is due but we aren't going to do it for sure until what we see is what we get.

Most have admitted it looks pretty good but we've been duped before. As has been mentioned many times, we ALL want a good game. I just won't proclaim it one until it's in my hands.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »