Home

Madden NFL 15 Ratings Release Monday, Watch Rookies React After Hearing Their Rating

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Ratings Release Monday, Watch Rookies React After Hearing Their Rating within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:47 AM   #49
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 15 Ratings Release Monday, Watch Rookies React After Hearing Their Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
So do you think FIFA is using this more realistic way to rate players? Do you have any experience with that.

And the thing is the overall number shouldn't matter if the players still rank by their talent level which they will. You will still able to brag about your rating if yours is 84 and the no one else on your team is higher than you. People can get use to lower numbers, no way that holds them back.
I have no FIFA experience, but what I do know is that the equal-interval approach is the most true-to-life approach as it has a non-biased scale and the "chips are allowed to fall as they may".
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 07-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #50
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 15 Ratings Release Monday, Watch Rookies React After Hearing Their Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
So do you think FIFA is using this more realistic way to rate players? Do you have any experience with that.

And the thing is the overall number shouldn't matter if the players still rank by their talent level which they will. You will still able to brag about your rating if yours is 84 and the no one else on your team is higher than you. People can get use to lower numbers, no way that holds them back.

I can't go into too much depth as to how FIFA rates their players, but I can tell you that there is a general feeling among sim players that the ratings under the hood are way too high and it clearly effects game play. Too often you'll see players from lower division teams with low overall ratings pull off moves and passes that should be reserved for the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, or a Neymar.

For all of the great presentation and graphics, FIFA for years has suffered from cheap, lazy, old school programming when it comes to overall gameplay and the player ratings are part of it. Would love to see a roster editor for FIFA!

The comments in this thread seem to confirm the idea that all of EA's sports games use a rating system that is outdated and nothing more than a piece of the hype machine. I even remember using re-rated rosters for NBA Live that made a tremendous impact on game play. Live enabled you to globally edit the specific ratings!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #51
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
Hey man, I don't create the data. I just convert it into Madden ratings. Sounds like your argument may be better suited for the scouting department that provides me with the data.
where are u getting this scouting data?...Pro Football Focus?.....that' an awesome site for TRUE NFL Data
Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #52
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwoods
was Madden 2000 2003 and 2010 default
Forgot madden 04,05 They were just as good with having low ratings as 2003
Old 07-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #53
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
where are u getting this scouting data?...Pro Football Focus?.....that' an awesome site for TRUE NFL Data
PFF is a good source to get tendencies from, but not individual traits. For instance, when you look at a player report on PFF, there is no rating for a QB's Arm Strength, a WR's ability to catch under duress, a C's run-blocking footwork, etc. Look at this recent article breaking down E.J. Manuel and Thad Lewis of the Bills:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-manuel-lewis/

You can see in their summary pages that they don't have grades for things that Madden rates players based off of (where is the "Arm Strength" grade? SPD? ACC? AGI? STR? Stamina?). However, what you do see is some great tendency information. PFF can help you understand situational football very well, but it doesn't allow you to quantify the maximum potential for individual skill. Something like "Graded at +4.4 on go routes" doesn't tell us how strong his arm is.

Instead, PFF simply grades the results of each play, not the makeup of each individual player (the attributes that Madden uses to determine how a player moves and triggers his animations). From PFF:

"WE ARE NOT SCOUTS — We aren’t looking for (or grading) style or technique, merely the result of the play. We aren’t looking for promise and potential that can be coached up. We aren’t looking for things like “heavy-legged waist benders” on the O-line. We aren’t looking for DBs with “stiff hips.” We are looking for the result of that poor technique, not the poor technique itself. If poor technique results in a positive play, that is graded at the same level as good technique yielding a positive play. Did the lineman make the block he attempted, by whatever means?
This is professional football, and our biggest assumption (one that we feel, and have been informed, is a very safe assumption) is that the player at least attempted to complete his assignment on an individual play. This removes a large degree of the doubt surrounding us not having access to playbooks and play calls. We are grading what happened, and it is safe to assume that in the vast majority of cases the assignments carried out were the assignments called on that play."

As you can see, they are just looking at the results of a play, and working backwards. FBG Ratings uses the approach of quantifying the parts that make up a player (via the ratings "box" we have to work in) as a scout would do. The approaches are entirely different.

As for our data source, I will refer you to our FAQ section of the FBG website, which pretty much explains it without violating the NDAs.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #54
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21

just curious they said they would start releasing the ratings today but still nothing its 1pm in az..... so that's 4pm on east coast... so I guess we have sit around until they choose to release them? nothing on Donny's twitter of a time either.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #55
Rookie

Tgar05's Arena

OVR: 1

I've been checking all day as we'll dawg pound haven't seen anything
NHL: Pens
NCAA: Penn St, WVU
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #56
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I found this and this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @FanSidedTech
Make sure to check out @tlschwerz unveiling of the #Madden15 rookies tonight thanks to an interview with @Donny_Moore
Quote:
Originally Posted by @tlschwerz
Don't forget, I will be unveiling the top 10 @EAMaddenNFL rookies tonight at 6pm EST thanks to my interview with @Donny_Moore #Madden15

I have no idea what FanSided Tech is, but whatever, that's apparently where we'll be seeing / hearing some rookie ratings at 6 PM today.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »