Home

Pharrell Williams to Curate NBA 2K15 Soundtrack - Official Cover Art Revealed

This is a discussion on Pharrell Williams to Curate NBA 2K15 Soundtrack - Official Cover Art Revealed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #97
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Pharrell Williams to Curate NBA 2K15 Soundtrack - Official Cover Art Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Shouldn't need to be explained but...

What's trivial in my opinion is the people saying they're going to poke their ears out if a particular song is included on the soundtrack. There's no sense in anyone getting too bent out of shape over the inclusion of one song, particularly when songs can be disabled so you don't have to listen to it. Even in the years where people say the soundtracks were great, I'm sure it's not like every single song was loved/could be listened to over and over.
This I agree with. Turn the song off if you don't like it. No reason to complain about that.

Quote:
The news that Pharrell's doing the soundtrack isn't some non-announcement. And they're obviously going to leverage the news from a marketing standpoint. In the bigger scheme of things the soundtrack isn't going to make or break the game, but it's a cool addition and a nice get for them. Getting a big name producer to do the soundtrack isn't trivial.
It would be a big deal if he was creating music from scratch solely for the game, but, essentially, all he's doing is picking songs to be put in the game. That's not news.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #98
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Pharrell Williams to Curate NBA 2K15 Soundtrack - Official Cover Art Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
It would be a big deal if he was creating music from scratch solely for the game, but, essentially, all he's doing is picking songs to be put in the game. That's not news.
You're saying it's neither a big deal nor worthy of being a news release at all? We're talking about a videogame. It's news to get a big time Grammy winning producer to help with or do the soundtrack imo. He has immediate name recognition, is a widely respected artist, and is very talented. Given his diverse background, it's possible he has knowledge of/access to music that wouldn't appear on most people's spectrums.

2K didn't say it was a big deal, just that it was news about the game. I think it's silly if you're trying to infer they shouldn't have even done a news release for this information. If a game had a famous producer like John Williams do the score and/or help with the soundtrack, they shouldn't bother to announce it because it's not really news? (not that I'm comparing John Williams to Pharrell). From a marketing standpoint alone it makes sense.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #99
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluecows
Happy about Pharell making the soundtrack and the fact that it will be the largest soundtrack to date but if "Happy" is a song in 2k I WILL stab myself in the ears with the 2k15 disc. I can't listen to that song anymore
I'm quoting you on this.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #100
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

One thing I'm expecting from this soundtrack is diversity with Pharrell curating I think that will happen. The fact that he has System on their has me excited enough.

Will be interesting to see what they roll out with for this one.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:26 AM   #101
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
... It's news to get a big time Grammy winning producer to help with or do the soundtrack imo.
You are right - it is awesome news for musical related titles and for those games with a music focus. For 2k, I feel it is more of a meh. Not because Pharrell is not all of that in the music world but because a genius in the musical world and a culturally influential heavy-weight does not necessarily translate into a better 2K NBA experience.

Given that said the following is well said:
Quote:
... Given his diverse background, it's possible he has knowledge of/access to music that wouldn't appear on most people's spectrums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
One thing I'm expecting from this soundtrack is diversity with Pharrell curating I think that will happen. The fact that he has System on their has me excited enough.

Will be interesting to see what they roll out with for this one.
Diversity is the one constant criticism that was leveled at against 2k for the past few years - addressing that directly by having one of the most diverse producers in music involved is exciting.

Now, I just hope all the promise and potential is translated to execution and delivery - I had the same high hopes for Jay-Z but those were dashed upon the rocks of reality once 2k13 was released.

As long as the execution and delivery of Pharell's diversity is brought into the final product I think this will be a potential classic 2k soundtrack.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #102
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
You're saying it's neither a big deal nor worthy of being a news release at all? We're talking about a videogame. It's news to get a big time Grammy winning producer to help with or do the soundtrack imo. He has immediate name recognition, is a widely respected artist, and is very talented. Given his diverse background, it's possible he has knowledge of/access to music that wouldn't appear on most people's spectrums.

2K didn't say it was a big deal, just that it was news about the game. I think it's silly if you're trying to infer they shouldn't have even done a news release for this information. If a game had a famous producer like John Williams do the score and/or help with the soundtrack, they shouldn't bother to announce it because it's not really news? (not that I'm comparing John Williams to Pharrell). From a marketing standpoint alone it makes sense.
I'm not saying it's not noteworthy, but it's not newsworthy in and of itself. If they released that announcement along with the complete soundtrack, then fine. But to just release the "news" that he's going to be putting the soundtrack together isn't really news at all.

Like what was said above, if the game he was curating was centered around music, then it's absolutely a big deal, and deserves recognition by itself. But this is a basketball game.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #103
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Cool.

Didn't see why it was a big deal anyway,
frequently played radio songs shouldn't be on a game you spend a lot of time on..
Old 07-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #104
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I'm not saying it's not noteworthy, but it's not newsworthy in and of itself. If they released that announcement along with the complete soundtrack, then fine. But to just release the "news" that he's going to be putting the soundtrack together isn't really news at all.

Like what was said above, if the game he was curating was centered around music, then it's absolutely a big deal, and deserves recognition by itself. But this is a basketball game.
*sigh* I'm really not qualified to comment on how marketing works/how best to market information but this is getting way too petty. If they put the songs that are going to be on the soundtrack it constitutes a news release in your eyes, since they didn't it's not news at all. I kind of see what you're saying but the need to put at least *some* negative spin on them doing the simple act of announcing Pharrell will be doing the soundtrack is ridiculous.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see why things have to be parsed to this degree. They also released the actual cover - does THAT constitute news?

Or is it it's okay to mention the cover as news, but not okay to mention Pharrell.
If you're not going to list the music at the same time.
Even though his name is on the cover.
Or maybe that makes it okay.

It's a shame if they actually had to think about this stuff before releasing information.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »