Home

Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madden

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #41
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madde

While I think it's a good premise to teach gamers football principles in unconventional ways, like 110 yard fgs in hurricane winds, I can't see how those lessons/skills will be applied and change the way the game is played, if they're not necessary for success when playing an actual game.

I haven't read all the posts ITT so it's possible others have touched on this, are the lessons complimented with applicable gameplay changes to CFM/Play Now/Online in Madden 15 or is this the first step to teach gamers these things, then at some point have them required for success in gameplay for other modes? I'm asking that as a serious question too, while I wouldn't agree with that design choice, I could still follow its' logic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #42
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Polygon: Madden 15 wants to teach you about football

Quote:
Originally Posted by coke hogan

so I don't believe people would put the game down and not play it anymore, especially if they paid money for it.
I found myself doing this with UFC after one week . Until I gave up and traded it in

On topic I need something like this. Haven't bought madden in years
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 07-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madde

The problem that I see with this mode as described is the translation error of real life concepts to Madden.

Madden is such a poor representation of even some of the most basic football fundamentals that it could end up confusing people as what they see in Madden and in the trainer is not reflected in real life.

For example, a smash route against Cover 2 zone. It works almost all the time in Madden because the corners play their zone regardless of what is going on around them. In real life, however, if there is not a receiver threatening the corner's zone, he will drop back to take away a smash route, something that doesn't happen in Madden.

Other things such as defenders forcing plays, setting the edge, true pass rush containment, zone blocking, combo blocks, blitz pickup, trap blocking... even a quarterback going through receiver progressions is not represented well in Madden. How can you teach things that aren't represented in the game?

Even something as simple as an out route is poorly represented in Madden, because of the way the passing game is coded. In real life, it would go something like this: "This is an out route. It is run at multiple depths. The receiver needs attempt to sell a deep route before making his break, which needs to be sharp and quick. The quarterback needs to throw the ball when the receiver starts his break, and needs to throw the ball toward the sideline ahead of the receiver. If the throw is late, or if the ball is not thrown ahead of the receiver, the quarterback needs to be ready to make a tackle because it will be an interception. The receiver needs to turn his head and locate the football as soon as he starts his break, with his hands ready to catch the ball. A well timed and run out route is extremely difficult to defend." Etc. In Madden it's like this: "This is an out. It is a 5-yard route, unless it is a deep out, which is more like 12. Receiver, don't worry about a good route, as the defender will beat you to your spot because he knows what you're running. Quarterback, you have to wait and throw the ball after the receiver completes his break or else you will throw a streak route, or maybe a seam, or maybe a comeback; who knows where the ball will go. You can try to lead the receiver, but it doesn't make a big difference. Corners jump the out all the time, it is not a difficult route to defend. And don't try to run an out-and-up double move, because the corners read that every time now matter how often you run the out."
Old 07-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #44
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
It's not just the younger demographic that's a potential new customer for the game. The average gamer is about 30 years old. Take out handheld devices such as the iPhone and that number jumps to 37 years. Madden at best sells single-digit millions of units a year, whereas more successful console games such as Grand Theft Auto V have sold as many as 30 million units worldwide.

There are plenty enough potential customers for Madden of all ages who just flat-out do not know how to play football to justify this feature for any age group.
wow....sans the phones & the avg gamer age is 37?!?!

sweet...for once I'm "above average" at something (43)
Old 07-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Polygon: Madden 15 wants to teach you about football

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
I found myself doing this with UFC after one week . Until I gave up and traded it in

On topic I need something like this. Haven't bought madden in years

which ufc did u buy?
did u not try a demo or renting the game first?
doing any of those two things would save u time.
did u try the tutorial?

in this day and age of renting and demos, no one should be making bad buying decisions. at the same time it's easier said than done. lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #46
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Demos only go so far with games that have multiple modes like sports games.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
It's not just the younger demographic that's a potential new customer for the game. The average gamer is about 30 years old. Take out handheld devices such as the iPhone and that number jumps to 37 years. Madden at best sells single-digit millions of units a year, whereas more successful console games such as Grand Theft Auto V have sold as many as 30 million units worldwide.

There are plenty enough potential customers for Madden of all ages who just flat-out do not know how to play football to justify this feature for any age group.

My point was that creating an arcade type mode with silly games to teach people football is perfect for targeting children not adults. I don't see 30+ gamers buying Madden and investing much time in that mode, but children may actually only play that mode because it might be funner for them than calling plays and trying to play full games without all the arcade style stuff they might be used to in other games they play.

I addition, adults that do invest time in that mode to get them comfortable/hooked on football might be as disappointed as a lot of us that the players just don't move properly/react properly/look properly and the game just feels flat and boring after one release and never buy it again.

I just think EA has a great opportunity to build the success of their title with a solid long term approach that targets children or adults not familiar with football skills and at the same time continue to improve the quality of the game. Based On the entire last gen cycle I feel like the Madden direction at times has been extremely questionable and if you look at the advancement/progression in quality made to actual gameplay over the course of the entire last gen through the first release of next gen it's completely laughable IMO.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 0

They're trying to teach people how to play football when their own players in the game can't even play their positions properly?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »