Home

Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madden

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Polygon: Madden 15 wants to teach you about football

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I've hammered on this on here.

More than anything else, sports games' biggest failing to this point has been accessibility and teaching its users how to play. This is evident in the fact that no gaming-oriented people around me will even attempt to play Madden, NBA 2K, The Show, or even WWE with me, because I'm a veteran of sports games and a hardcore sports fan in general. I know how to play these games, while they are helplessly behind with few to no in-game mechanisms available with which to catch up.

This is a necessary step for expanding the pool of potential customers for the Madden series, particularly as the NFL's popularity continues to grow. One they probably won't see any credit for on this message board, but - assuming the mode is well-executed - one they deserve credit for nevertheless.
Kind of like how fighting games will add a dojo mode, except those games are usually pretty well made at that point, with maybe just some balance issues here and there. Any expansion of the user base usually comes by way of the quality of the game, as well as the popularity of the subject being portrayed. That goes for just about any game.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:21 AM   #34
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madde

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
If it's about those that have not played at all, why even post it on a Sporting Gaming Forum for feedback to be given?

Everyone that has a profile and is posting on this site has had some type of experience with Madden.

So to me the topic is concerning the OS Community because feedback is being invited.

Some note they like, some note they don't care, some note that they don't like.
Some even respond to what others post, which is ok.

My post spoke nothing about a like or dislike of the Mode as to personalize it.

My response was to the thought that the gaming community as a whole doesn't know the fundamentals of the game.

Everyone is simply posting their thought on the subject of the mode.

If it rubbed you the wrong way, the right thing was to PM me, as a Mod!!!

Nothing "rubbed him the wrong way".
He simply was saying that it wasn't something that applied to you or OS in general.

And EA didn't post that here I don't believe for feedback to be given.
JP simply put it up for those who might want to see it.

It's simply a "share the info" thread.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-12-2014, 02:46 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This feature is not about you, or for that matter anyone on Operation Sports.

It's about the people who haven't yet played Madden NFL at all.
Honestly I think Madden needed this mode and will need to continue to have a mode like this to capture the 8-14 year old demographic and that's probably good business sense because capturing the younger audience is obviously important long term.

With that said, If EA can just keep the title moving forward instead of spinning in circles by adding and removing stuff incessantly and just start banging away at a more lifelike gameplay feel with natural looking player movements I think everyone would be happy. Now that this mode is in they should keep it and maybe make small changes but focus resources on creating real looking sidelines packed with players coming on and off the field and a stadium feel that makes you feel like you're in the stadium, those things things along with gameplay will keep the younger demographic coming back because they wont stay for more than maybe a release or two playing arcade games in Gauntlet Mode.

Last edited by DNMHIII; 07-12-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is a great idea. Not only how to control your player, how to dive, how to catch, how to pass. But how to play the game of football. Football is a fun game and very strategic with so many formation on defense and offense. And you know what ? It's only played in North America. A lot of people did not grew up with a football program at high school.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #37
Lurking

kongemeier's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitSarkar
Yup. In CFM, it's called "Game Prep," and you earn XP for the players you use.
Argh man...

So I have to choose which players to progress? I am not an NFL expert, but I'm pretty sure the entire team is preparing each week and not just a few.

So it's basically like an MMO where I can choose which "bufs" to use for a specific opponent!?

I know I'm making assumptions here, but if this is how it works, I'm not a fan...
#SimWorldSports #SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 07-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #38
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMHIII
Honestly I think Madden needed this mode and will need to continue to have a mode like this to capture the 8-14 year old demographic and that's probably good business sense because capturing the younger audience is obviously important long term.
It's not just the younger demographic that's a potential new customer for the game. The average gamer is about 30 years old. Take out handheld devices such as the iPhone and that number jumps to 37 years. Madden at best sells single-digit millions of units a year, whereas more successful console games such as Grand Theft Auto V have sold as many as 30 million units worldwide.

There are plenty enough potential customers for Madden of all ages who just flat-out do not know how to play football to justify this feature for any age group.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #39
Rookie

William85's Arena

OVR: 0

Im 32 and have plenty of Madden experience and pretty excited to learn new things to make me a better player . I play online and am blown away with how good some people are so if I can use this mode to close the gap by learning new things, I am all for it.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #40
Pro

Haval93's Arena

OVR: 13

I think it will be a great mode for people who want to learn the game and football in general. I have played Madden for years and have watched the NFL for years but never looked into the strategy for defensives and such. As someone who knows basic defensive formations and options, if this mode can help me become better at the game and learn more about football while being fun, I think its a huge plus. Not ever mode is going to crater to everybody, I know a lot of you Sim games would rather see resources put in game play than modes like this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »