Home

R.B.I. Baseball 14 Announced For Current and Next-Gen Consoles, Mobile Devices Too

This is a discussion on R.B.I. Baseball 14 Announced For Current and Next-Gen Consoles, Mobile Devices Too within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #201
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: R.B.I. Baseball 14 Announced For Current and Next-Gen Consoles, Mobile Devices To

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover

It is possible to merge both worlds - it's not always either/or, imo.
Ya I would say RBI was probably a merge I guess, but it was different times back then.

When I think of arcade style styles for Baseball I'm thinking the Bigs or MLB Slugfest with power ups, stuff like that, the original RBI really wasn't like those.

My guess would be we are going to get something like those titles if it is arcade. I am hoping for something along the powerpros/bobblehead games. Wishful thinking I know, but that's all we got to this point
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #202
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: R.B.I. Baseball 14 Announced For Current and Next-Gen Consoles, Mobile Devices To

I see now why you guys were calling RBI a sim - because it's a different game than the one I was thinking of. I never played an SNES RBI - only the 3 NES games and while they were good for their time, I wouldn't have called them sims ("realistic" was the term I used back in that time) even back in that day. Both of the first two didn't have season modes or all the teams, and were really just you playing against every other team in the game. This series underwent some big changes over the years, and 3 is when things started to get more realistic. But apparently this SNES RBI was a big step up in the realism department, including the season and playoff modes you guys mentioned. Not surprising, since it would have been following Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball which despite the outwardly cartoony appearance of its characters was the first game I felt a shift into sports games becoming more realistic and true to their respective sports.

So RBI does have a history that I didn't know it had, apparently. But the development team will also be very different from back then - who even knows who "Gray Matter" is anymore?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #203
Banned

steveeee's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeee

I wouldn't be surprised at this as RBI baseball old school was always Japanese based developed games... I would guess the new one would be as well.

and I believe there's a market for that. I'd buy an updated version of RBI in a heartbeat. -bkrich83
yeah I agree and I actually would probably prefer to play that over the Show if done right which I'm sure is not very popular to say around here. to me rBi baseball was sim it was sim before sports talk baseball that i liked as well. It's not as sim as lets say HH but so what. RBI baseball had that great fun gameplay and especially human vs human pitching and batting interface fun. It's not like there was anything way unrealistic that i remember about it. RBI baseball had the fun aspect mixed with sim for baseball game... kind of like MVP and the old world series baseball games which i think also have that perfect balance. the show is a great sim and great sports game but I would prefer to play more of a mix which I hope RBI will be like.

ps. yeah bcruise Ken Griffey had great gameplay controls as well for a baseball game and was fun as well.. forgot about that one actually

Last edited by steveeee; 02-09-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #204
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Having real players makes a game sim?

We have different definitions of a simulation game then. I believe NBA jam had real players too. Do you consider that sim?
Or more recently the Bigs.

I wonder how many here besides a few of us, actually played the original RBI baseball or the actual arcade game it was based on?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #205
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeee
yeah I agree and I actually would probably prefer to play that over the Show if done right which I'm sure is not very popular to say around here. to me rBi baseball was sim it was sim before sports talk baseball that i liked as well. It's not as sim as lets say HH but so what. RBI baseball had that great fun gameplay and especially human vs human pitching and batting interface fun. It's not like there was anything way unrealistic that i remember about it. RBI baseball had the fun aspect mixed with sim for baseball game... kind of like MVP and the old world series baseball games which i think also have that perfect balance. the show is a great sim and great sports game but I would prefer to play more of a mix which I hope RBI will be like.

ps. yeah bcruise Ken Griffey had great gameplay controls as well for a baseball game and was fun as well.. forgot about that one actually
Loved Ken Griffey that game was just plain fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #206
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Or more recently the Bigs.

I wonder how many here besides a few of us, actually played the original RBI baseball or the actual arcade game it was based on?
My guess would be all the old timers definitely have..lol. I just remember how my friends and I played non stop, it was great having MLB teams and players. Those first baseball games on intellivision, and atari weren't much of a baseball game.

Before RBI we played Star League baseball for the Atari computer. Had to load up the game on a cassette tape took like 10 min to load..lol. Then we played the generic Nintendo baseball alot until RBI came along.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #207
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons2003
My guess would be all the old timers definitely have..lol. I just remember how my friends and I played non stop, it was great having MLB teams and players. Those first baseball games on intellivision, and atari weren't much of a baseball game.

Before RBI we played Star League baseball for the Atari computer. Had to load up the game on a cassette tape took like 10 min to load..lol. Then we played the generic Nintendo baseball alot until RBI came along.
I had Star League on my C64. I had it on floppy though.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #208
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

RBI Baseball back in 1994 was cutting edge for me and just a blast and I still have the manual as I filled in all the missing unnamed players !!!
I really hope it has great graphics and fun to play but a truly interactive sim game with real results depending heavily on your own skill and player stats without all the over done programming some sports game seem to force these days , almost like your not even playing at times .
You know something you cant put down and are excited to pick it up and play win or lose anytime without all the rituals of crossing your T s and dotting your I s and games under 2 hours while all holding some type of sim result .

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 02-09-2014 at 07:12 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »