Home

Will College Basketball Return to the Next-Gen Sports Lineup?

This is a discussion on Will College Basketball Return to the Next-Gen Sports Lineup? within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #41
MVP

AntiBandwagoner's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Will College Basketball Return to the Next-Gen Sports Lineup?

We can only hope that down the road a company (preferably 2k) gets the licensing for a college basketball game. Just one game on next gen and I'll be set.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #42
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

I think it also depends how much resources are put into it. A game that sells only in North America (seriously, how many gamers care about college basketball outside the US? Not sure if many even care about it in Canada).

If it's a game that takes as much effort as NBA 2K, for example, I can't see it happening. Hell, even at OS - where American sport fanatics live and breath, go back through the basketball hoop games forums, and see many pages you can go back - compared to the NBA 2K/Live forums - it's like comparing the Live forum while there was no game to the NBA 2K forum a couple of weeks before release).

It all depends on how much time/money they are willing to spend, because I think college basketball games can only sell so much - mostly in the US. If they can predict the number of units sold - and it's still worth it, it'll happen.

Next-gen college basketball game.....I'm not much of a college hoop fan, but even I would be excited!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #43
Rookie

Noel.'s Arena

OVR: 0

Just the thought of having a College Hoops that is similar to NBA2K14 in gameplay gets me wet, lol.

I think they are halfway done. The most expensive part to develop is the engine and they already got that, and it works swell. They just need to program the modes (which are halfway done as well, let's say they re use most of the code in CH 2K8 for legacy mode), designers to do the jerseys/logos/courts, buy the license, and we are done.

They don't need to re-invent the wheel and they can sell a good amount of copies. I'm not even from the US and I'd buy College Hoops for PS4, I'm not the average foreign gamer tho.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #44
Rookie

pr3ston's Arena

Quote:
I think there is a high demand (From the community) in terms of a college basketball game. NCAA Basketball 10 was the last one we had. What makes it worse, is how the teams are changing there jerseys shoes, and styles, the games, soon became outdated.
I think with the DLC content in NCAA Football of jerseys and stuff, they would make money in NCAA Basketball if they did it. Then again, there arent near as much changes in basketball as ther are in football (Oregon, Maryland).

ALSO, side note,

If 2k did a college game, would they incorperate the VC that they do in NBA? I mean its Virtual Currency, kinda the whole Players getting Paid argument. How would you prefer they do that if it were to be different?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #45
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Right there with you Noel. The prospect of a Next Gen 2K College Hoops game on par with the NBA 2K is tantalizing. I think it could work too. Just use the NBA 2K engine and tailor it to the college game. I understand the trepidation with the NCAA and player likeness lawsuit.

But wouldn't an officially licensed NCAA game released with totally fictional rosters for the current teams protect both 2K and the NCAA? Base the teams off of their real life strengths and weaknesses. Make Duke be Duke with a star freshman forward. But instead of him being a 6'8" 225 pound Black SF#1, he could be a 6'7" White lefty named Anderson Wells. Ditto for all of the other players. Give them a little backstory to sell the fictional players. Its all fictional after 4 years anyway. Give their faces detail and personality. Have some generic "Signature Styles" to choose from. Copy and paste College Hoops 2K8's Legacy Mode and allow players to be drafted to the current and future NBA 2K games in their fully college glory. Looks, styles, accessories, jumpshots and everything. It would infuse life into NBA 2k's Association Mode.

In an effort to make additional revenue (and make online a blast), sell Historic College teams for 3-5$ a pop. Who wouldn't love to take Carmelo Anthony's Syracuse squad online to play against Olajuwon's "Phi Slama Jama"?; or Jordan's North Carolina squad against Michigan's "Fab 5"? Or just play with them in Legacy mode. The possibilities are endless and could generate the necessary additional revenue that all developers want.

Seeing that College Basketball is something of a niche sport, release the game every three or four years. Thereby maximizing profit (and saving development cost) for each release. Just tune the gameplay and and update the fictional rosters annually. Update the presentation and bundle the game with NBA 2K AND sell it solo for 45$. Heck, advertise the game in NBA 2k! I don't know how all of the licensing stuff works but I think 2K could really corner the video game basketball market.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #46
MVP

RyanLaFalce's Arena

I'm really hoping for a college basketball game soon. I don't understand why they haven't even thought of it yet.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #47
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLaFalce
I'm really hoping for a college basketball game soon. I don't understand why they haven't even thought of it yet.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

With all the issues surrounding NCAA Football game I understand both parties trying to stay away from each other for awhile.

I just hope down the line we see the return of both College basketball and football games.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #48
Rookie

PaPZ187's Arena

OVR: 2

Man that's old school I used to love that game in the OP.

Is that the game with a player named "Davidson" on UNC that can hit shots from anywhere?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »