Home

NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #913
Rookie

OVR: 10
Re: NBA Live 14 Has Arrived, Post Your Impressions Here

Had been playing the demo for weeks on PS4, I had no intention of buying the game. However, I was very dissapointed with the support and experience with the other basketball game

Well I got Live today, and played it for hours, not a perfect game from my expectations, especially being a next gen game, but darn it is fun.

There is something in the players feel, spacing and footing that will keep me playing this one until '15. I really like the fact that the game moves at an authentic NBA pace. I actually like calling plays and feel in total control. I was actually the type that would just let the cpu call plays and i would 'see' them developing without the aid of a visual art on screen, but i opted to actually turn those visuals on and i enjoy it. It is very subtle and doesn't distract the gameplay.

Havent run into any end of game issues, as i only finished one full game, 12 min quarters. Loved that the score did not reach in the 100s. Lost by two, 92-90.

Hope EA continues the support post release, keeps listening to the community and I will buy '15 next year day one.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #914
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

In what has to be a record I just had Zach Randolph pump fake me about 20 times under the rim....It was hilarious.... I.couldn't stop laughing long enough to say "XBox Record that"
Old 12-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #915
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
In what has to be a record I just had Zach Randolph pump fake me about 20 times under the rim....It was hilarious.... I.couldn't stop laughing long enough to say "XBox Record that"

Did you bite?

Sent from my mobile device.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #916
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Did you bite?

Sent from my mobile device.

on like the 15th one, haha
Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #917
Rookie

OVR: 0

but the patch they were talking about the producers of nba live about the graphical improvements are planned? you know something about?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #918
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie dogs
but the patch they were talking about the producers of nba live about the graphical improvements are planned? you know something about?
Supposedly it's in the works for the 'big' patch. If they address this and fast breaks, then I'm set...
Old 12-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #919
Rookie

OVR: 2

I got my copy on Christmas Eve and have had the opportunity to play several games since. Here are a few of my observations:

Overall Gameplay:
Much improved from the demo. Other than the sub-par graphics it has a feel of an NBA game. Audio presentation (JVG and Breen) is much improved and the action flows. My biggest issue was learning a new set of controls (versus 2K).

Post Play:
Both offensively and defensively seem a bit cumbersome. Points in the paint are WAY too high and once the your opponent gets to a certain point and starts the "pump-fake" annimaton, you are better suited to attempt a steal than a block shot. Double team is the best option and even with that you must keep the man you're guarding from getting to his spot or it's over. Seems that the offensive player can slide right by you if you're not in precisely the right place. Again, I am learning a new set of controls. Jumpers with out first creating space, will generally get blocked unless you have a decided height advantage over the defender. I liked this aspect. Wade would get his shot sent back to him, while Lebron was/is able to get his shot much easier. Again, PIP are WAY to high. This may be to my ineptedness as a defender, although I have saw many post in this thread that have complained about this. Sometimes the slam-dunk put back is a little overdone and so far I haven't seen a block or at least a forced miss on a dunk attempt. I need to know that it is at least possible.

Shooting:
Players release points are definitely different. I roll with the Heat and I've got Chalmers down - almost to the point of cheesing. I went 11-17 from three with him in one game. I'd post Lebron or Wade, the double would come and I'd kick to Rio. I'm about 6 games into Dynasty and Mario is shooting 62% from 3 . On the other hand, Ray Allen is shooting 33% which is actually closer to the norm than Rio's 62. Freethrows are realistic for the most part, although DWade is shooting 47% primarily because he has this funky quirk in his shooting motion. The Devs need to fix this as it looks like Chuck Hayes (former Houston Rocket) shooting motion.

Rebounding:
One of the most pleasing aspects of the games. The players block out and for the most part get the rebounds they should get. You ocassionally notice a player not jumping and his opponent getting the rebound, but for the most part the rebounding is spot on.

Defensive options:
I love the myriad of options at your disposal for defense. The AI responses well based upon your selections. The Heat were flying around like the Heat getting into passing lanes and hard-hedging on the PNR. They rotate well to help if your settings are such. One thing I disliked was when you select "Perimeter Double-team on Drive" the AI help comes often time on the "Dribble" i.e., too soon and not technically on the drive. I would like to see this patched if possibe.

Intangibles (Hot/Cold Streaks):
I don't really have a problem with this as "runs" are the nature of the NBA. However on more than one occasion, I have jumped out to 30-15 leads in the first quarter only to be outscored by a similiar score in the second and arrive at halftime either tied or leading by 2 points. Points are generally harder to come by during these periods and I believe that the key in minimizing these cold streaks is to run your offense and take good high percentage shots. On the flipside of the cold streak, I went into the fourth quarter on the road against the Raptors trailing by eighteen (73-55) and won on a Chalmers 3 (the game that he went 11-17 from three) at the buzzer - 96-93. Effectively outscoring the Raptors 41-20. We shot 75% for the quarter the Raptors shot 47% and lost. For some reason it felt doable, but I wouldn't want to see this too often . I believe the hot/cold streaks are hard-coded to force the overall shooting averages towards the norm.

That's enough for now, but I'll have more input after I've had a couple dozen more games.

Overall:
I like the potential that I see in this game.

Last edited by mythreesons; 12-30-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #920
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Great impressions. Keep them coming as you get more accustomed to it.

You can block dunks, and putback dunks as well. There's several videos in the video thread, and I have several more that I haven't posted. I had back to back blocks by Markief Morris over the weekend. It was a great feeling.

The Miami Defense does feel great in the game. You have to be extra cautious with your passes, and pick your spots.

To reduce the blocks from jumpers, try to create some space by use a jabstep from the triple threat (right analog towards the defender while not dribbling). They'll step back normally just enough for you to get a shot off. Or the step back jumper, (Triangle/Y and away from the hoop while stationary).

Looking forward to more impressions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »