Home

If NBA Live Has a Future, It Has to Look Radically Different

This is a discussion on If NBA Live Has a Future, It Has to Look Radically Different within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #185
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: If NBA Live Has a Future, It Has to Look Radically Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDog10
Live is strictly a single player game for me, so the hop step cheese doesn't ruin the game for me.
Even if you have the self-discipline not to use the hop step, the computer players will still use it all the time to clip through your defense and get cheesy layups.

So yes, it ruins the single player modes, too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #186
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
i was speaking in context of the post i quoted.

let me rephrase my reply to that:

there is nothing that ea is doing that would prevent any other company from making a basketball game.
No other company has made an NBA sim basketball game in the past 4 years instead of 2k and EA sports. Both those companies have taken a large share of that market, so a third company is not going to come in a over-saturated market that has two games taking all the licenses, market share, and sales from consumers. Sony's last basketball game was in 09, but they axed the title because of low sales and the inability to expand on their game with resources basically taken by the other two companies. Even though EA did not come out with a basketball title for 3 years, they still had their paws on that EA license and still had a contract with the NBA to produce Nba games every year. Do you understand that the contract with the NBA and Espn could have been put to good use elsewhere? EA not putting a game out for three years shortened the market to one NBA basketball game because they still held on to the NBA contract and licenses which are expensive. No other company was going to come in and try to make a basketball game under those circumstances with EA and 2k hogging most of the resources.

Last edited by shutdown10; 12-11-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #187
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown10
No other company has made a NBA sim basketball game in the past 4 years instead of 2k and EA sports. Both those companies have taken a large share of that market, so a third company is not going to come in a over-saturated market that is has two games taking all the licenses, market share, and sales from consumers. Sony's last basketball game was in 09, but they axed the title because they were not able to expand on their game with resources basically taken by the other two companies. Even though EA did not come with a basketball title for 3 years, they still had their paws on that EA license and had and still had a contract with the NBA to produce Nba games every year. Do you understand that the contract with the NBA and Espn could have been put to good use elsewhere? EA not putting a game out for three years shortened the market to one NBA basketball game because they still held on to the NBA contract and licenses which are expensive. No other company was going to come in and try to make a basketball game under those circumstances with EA and 2k hogging most of the resources.
that makes no sense. the only possible argument you provided was the espn license. but there are plenty of other stations that can be utilized (tnt fox etc.). or they could go with a generic package like 2k has done.

again my argument is that ea is doing nothing to prevent any company from making a game if they wanted. just because they might have a contract with the nba doesnt mean that another company couldnt do the same if they chose to. if they dont want to get into the market then thats their own decision but dont make it sound like they are blocked because of something ea is doing. if i wanted to put the time and resources into making an nba game i could do it.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #188
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Even if you have the self-discipline not to use the hop step, the computer players will still use it all the time to clip through your defense and get cheesy layups.

So yes, it ruins the single player modes, too.
It ruins it for you. I clearly said that it didn't ruin it "for me" while acknowledging the CPU does use the hop step and it gets annoying at times.

I'm done posting in this particular thread. I'm well aware that I shouldn't be enjoying this game. But I'll stick to the impressions thread where there are a handful of other people that are enjoying it.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #189
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
that makes no sense. the only possible argument you provided was the espn license. but there are plenty of other stations that can be utilized (tnt fox etc.). or they could go with a generic package like 2k has done.

again my argument is that ea is doing nothing to prevent any company from making a game if they wanted. just because they might have a contract with the nba doesnt mean that another company couldnt do the same if they chose to. if they dont want to get into the market then thats their own decision but dont make it sound like they are blocked because of something ea is doing. if i wanted to put the time and resources into making an nba game i could do it.

I don't think you read my whole post carefully. I said EA and 2K basically have the available licenses locked up at the moment, not only EA. 2k has commentators who are contracted with TNT, so the they have that license. Fox is not in NBA basketball, so that would be false license marketing. Give me one license that is available at the moment for a new company to come in and use? Please don't use networks that are not invested in NBA basketball.

Last edited by shutdown10; 12-11-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #190
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Fox Sports Network

I know Fox Sports Indiana carries the Pacers games, FSOhio carries Cavs games, etc etc etc.

Fox Sports is in the NBA. It goes under FSN.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #191
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown10
I don't think you read my whole post carefully. I said EA and 2K basically have the available licenses locked up at the moment, not only EA. 2k has commentators who are contracted with TNT, so the they have that license. Fox is not in NBA basketball, so that would be false license marketing. Give me one license that is available at the moment for a new company to come in and use? Please don't use networks that are not invested in NBA basketball.
i was referring to fox sports. one of the greatest parts about the pc version of nba 2k is the modding community. plenty of different scorebugs (like tnt and fox sports) to replace the generic one that 2k uses. and again they dont even need an official license as 2k has done just fine without one. as far as commentary there are plenty of options out there. ea and 2k have a combined five commentators in their game. are you trying to tell me there are only five people who broadcast nba games?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ers#ESPN.2FABC

theres a list of all the possible real life broadcasters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #192
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
And I'm not sure what you mean by "miraculous" place... EA has a TON of money.. enough to buy an NFL License.. its not like bad sales of live (or that Elite 11) travesty would stop them from making a game. They have money and resources to publish Live every year regardless of what happens with the "other game".

You are romanticising something that just doesnt need it.
What I mean is this, this game should be dead and its not (in terms of gamers giving a damn about its existence). And for reasons that are mostly born of the competition's varied incompetence. I'll hedge my next few statements and keep them as general as possible to avoid confusion.

In the end, if EA puts out a product (and by that I'm talking the game itself to go along with support) that is deemed "good" they will have a lot less trouble than they should getting back in people's consoles. Considering where this franchise has been and where it could have potentially wound up I think thats amazing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »